V11 gas mileage discussion

motowarren

My current RM is not my first Guzzi. I had an 02 LeMans in 04. In 07 I brought a left over 06 Breva 1100. I also used to own a SP1000 and an 80’s LeMans. The thing is my old Guzzi’s got 45~50 MPG with carbs. My Breva which was stock except for a Mistral slip-on and it got 45~50 MPG. My 02 LeMans I got rid of because on a really good day of highway riding it got 34MPG. My current RM thus far has gotten a best of 34MPG. While it runs great under all conditions now the mileage on these V11’s is pretty pathetic. So what’s the fix? Go to the later FI with a closed loop system. My own personal preference would be flat slide Keihins. These are every bit as reliable as any FI system and much easier to maintain and adjust. But how do you control the ignition and curve if you get rid of the ecu. It just annoys me that I get about the same mileage on a motorcycle that I get on my Fiat Abarth which is almost as much fun. Has anybody tried these alternatives and with what results.

The wifes V11 gets about 40 mpg or so. Not sure why you get such bad mileage.

You could just let the stock ECU continue to run the ignition and disconnect the injection side of them. I would not think it would be a problem.

Then you could install carbs, but why you think you can get better mileage with carbs I do not know.

I would either get a Power Commander and tune the bike as best you can or better yet get on of Cliff's MyECU's and really tune the bike.

But there are a few reasons for the mileage and fueling is only one of them. Other factors would include port and valve configuration as well as compression ratio and combustion chamber design. Also there is cams, valve lift and overlap.

Easy on the throttle and long, steady road speeds would likely give you 40-42 mpUSg. Start rowing the box, and having your way with her and 34-37 is more likely. Colder temps could drop it 2-3.

As mentioned, this is a more aggressive combination of cam, valves, flow characteristics, and riding style.

Probably not worth an extensive refit to get a few more mpg. Crank it, rip it, and enjoy it! (She'll love you for it!) :wub:

That said, a meticulous tune-up performed every 4000 to 6000 miles will optimize the factory settings and likely give you around +3 mpg.

"Ain't she sweet?" (Walt Kowalski [Clint Eastwood], Gran Torino)

Then you could install carbs, but why you think you can get better mileage with carbs I do not know.

I would either get a Power Commander and tune the bike as best you can or better yet get on of Cliff's MyECU's and really tune the bike.

But there are a few reasons for the mileage and fueling is only one of them. Other factors would include port and valve configuration as well as compression ratio and combustion chamber design. Also there is cams, valve lift and overlap.

I believe carbs are better than FI because of MY real world experience. I've put over 250k miles on various Guzi's and Ducatis and I have NEVER had one with inj that was better on gas mileage than the ones I've had with carbs. I'm not trying to be smart or anything but when you get into combustion design CR etc your not listening to me I'm comparing one Guzzi to another therefore same engine design. The question is Why does the V11 get worse mileage than a similar designed older Guzzi w/carbs or a newer Breva with a differnet model injection. And you can't play the weight card because they are similar with the Breva actually being the heaviest and as far as right hand action is concerned I ride all my bikes the same and I am caomparing my results on all bikes not somebody else that rides completely different than I do.

I believe carbs are better than FI because of MY real world experience. I've put over 250k miles on various Guzi's and Ducatis and I have NEVER had one with inj that was better on gas mileage than the ones I've had with carbs.

You said yourself that your Breva got 45-50 so its not an issue of FI versus carb. The issue is whether the bike is properly setup and that goes for the FI too.

I believe carbs are better than FI because of MY real world experience. I've put over 250k miles on various Guzi's and Ducatis and I have NEVER had one with inj that was better on gas mileage than the ones I've had with carbs.

You said yourself that your Breva got 45-50 so its not an issue of FI versus carb. The issue is whether the bike is properly setup and that goes for the FI too.

Your right Cliff so I see you use a "My ECU". DO you think that a V11 sport with a closed loop "My ECU" and set up for, lets say, 80 RWHP will get 40~50 MPG instead of 32~40 MPG?? Have you experienced much better gas mileage with your set up? Is the main difference between the Breva and V11 sport system the closed loop vs open loop system?

I believe carbs are better than FI because of MY real world experience. I've put over 250k miles on various Guzi's and Ducatis and I have NEVER had one with inj that was better on gas mileage than the ones I've had with carbs. I'm not trying to be smart or anything but when you get into combustion design CR etc your not listening to me I'm comparing one Guzzi to another therefore same engine design. The question is Why does the V11 get worse mileage than a similar designed older Guzzi w/carbs or a newer Breva with a differnet model injection. And you can't play the weight card because they are similar with the Breva actually being the heaviest and as far as right hand action is concerned I ride all my bikes the same and I am caomparing my results on all bikes not somebody else that rides completely different than I do.

I AM listening to you. And I am trying to point out that differences in cams, compression, port, and valves, can affect the mpg.

Other then the basic engine layout (and block casting) there is little in common between the V11sport and the Guzzi's of old. While you probably could put some of the V11's parts in a earlier Guzzi big block they do not share much parts from the factory. The V11 sport motor is a much more aggressive tune (by Guzzi standards) then the older motors. They do not share cams, compression ratio, valves, or much of anything else, with the older motors.

All FI does is what it is told to do. It alone does not get you better or worse mpg. It does have the potential to get better mileage, but again, it depends on the guy programming it. The state of tune of the other components, the cams, etc. as mentioned along with gearing, are what determine the fuel efficiency of the motor.

Agreed. The Mighty Scura (head work, cam, etc.) will get low 40s if ridden sanely. It is capable of getting mid 30s in colder temps and lots of throttle usage. :whistle: My RC gets high 30s to low 40s, and runs so well I haven't even tried to tune it. I know it *can* get better mileage than that. Both have PCs and custom maps. There's no reason you can't get better mileage if you want to work at it a little.

Now.. my Strada with 36mm pumpers was getting a little over 50. It was too lean, all you had to do was look at the plugs. I re jetted, and now it gets low to mid 40s, which as far as I'm concerned is what a big block Guzzi should get..runs much better in the mid range, too.

Your right Cliff so I see you use a "My ECU". DO you think that a V11 sport with a closed loop "My ECU" and set up for, lets say, 80 RWHP will get 40~50 MPG instead of 32~40 MPG?? Have you experienced much better gas mileage with your set up? Is the main difference between the Breva and V11 sport system the closed loop vs open loop system?

I've not measured my mileage for a while as I usually fuel up from a jerry can but I expect better than 20km/l from my bikes. Anything less and I'd be looking for problems.

Closed loop is very important for knowing where your mixture is at and keeping it where it should be if you have closed loop.

MyECU will give you complete control over all the parameters but the easiest is to go closed loop and let it look after itself.

• 1 month later...

I've not measured my mileage for a while as I usually fuel up from a jerry can but I expect better than 20km/l from my bikes. Anything less and I'd be looking for problems.

Heh. I get a very consistent 22-23 miles per gallon with my Nero Corsa. If I'm doing my conversions correctly that's about 9km/l.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been down to 27mpg on a track day with my V11 (and that is UK gallons).

The next day I did a 220 mile run with my Mrs, her on a Nevada.

The Mrs travels a gnats cock under 80mph on open roads, but is gentle on the way up there and back down again using top from 45mph on the flat and level.

The V11 return 55mpg.

Out with the lads on a Sunday thrap through the countryside, around 40mpg.

It's all in the wrist and gearbox usage.

Just got a 750 Breva. Sunday thrap mpg has gone up to mid sixties.

Luckily I tend to be the leader, so I pick twistier roads where the Breva is more suited.

My mates think I am quicker on the Breva than the V11 as they haven't realised the change in roads.

I am just enjoying the savings.

The V11 still has a special place in my garage though.

I typically get 28 mpg with my Nero Corsa. It has a MG Ti exhaust with the racing ECU. Runs strong and I usually ride it with a heavy hand. For comparison, my 1100 Sport carb gets around 34 mpg under similar conditions.

DD