clutch electrical connectors

docc

Most of the connectors on these bikes are water tight and well located. A couple are suspect and require some attention. :luigi: :luigi:

The connection between the alternator and regulator is through two ' bullet connectors' located behind the oil cooler. To avoid corrosion and current spikes, apply petroleum jelly and seal over the junction with heat shrink: :thumbsup:

On the left side of the bike are the connectors for the clutch switch. The tank might have to be removed to access them. If they , or the clutch switch, fail the starter will not activate reliably.

Pull the male with needle nose pliers. Clean well with electrical cleaner, brass bore brush, Q-tips - whatever. Fill the female side with petroleum jelly (like "Vaseline") liberally and reconnect firmly with the pliers. Seal with heat shrink and groom into the harness along the frame away from the weather.

DSCN1472.jpg

• Like 1

:thumbsup: ....absolutely, good tips!

I replaced many of my "bullet connectors" with the same AMP Superseal weather-tight connectors used throughout the chassis, especially the clutch connectors which were giving me trouble.

I haven't done the alternator/rectifier connectors, but probably will as well. I'll have to look at the gauge to see if it's wise. If not, I'll do the same as you have and just clean and grease them along with heat-shrink.

The only bullet connectors that I've kept in the harness are the turn signals, but those are "required" to be bullets on the LeMans in order to pull the wires out through the fairing. Changing them out to any larger connector would make it impossible to remove them <_>

al

Hey boys, this might be a good time to convert to a direct-wire headlight setup like I mentioned on my post about Silverstar bulbs. My Guzzi with hanging tits :-) friends have gone to great lengths to prove there is a voltage drop to virtually all headlights through stock wiring systems. A small voltage drop translates to significant lumen drop. The fix is to wire a 12 to 14 ga direct fused wire to the headlight bulb(s) via a new relay which is triggered by the existing bulb wiring. This would reduce the load on the stock Guzzi relay setup while supposedly giving more light as well.