Guzzi California 1400

DeBenGuzzi

Thanks, Pete, for the link and the report. Amazing to me that Guzzi has used the same tank on the Cali series for twenty-five years. I'm not a tear-drop tank fan and have been looking forward to what's next. After all, the Italians especially have been known for some voluptuous tank shapes; something that makes you want to climb on behind. ;)

This 1400, while being most 'modern' and 'stylized,' isn't what I had in mind. Makes me want a Cali Vintage even more. Or a funky, old Eldorado . . . :oldgit:

• Like 1

I'm still interested, my griso makes a great touring bike for me right now but anything outside an hour gets hard 2 up and storage is a backpack plus the smallest tank bag I've ever seen in my life, it's laughable, it holds children's sized riding gloves and sun glasses. I'd plan to just have two bikes like my griso and the cali-14 or my DD750 WHAT a bike that is, no distance machine but I have gone on a few day rides. I was sold getting a victory vision before I saw this. I also just learned victory is coming out with some more affordable and reliable Indians... not even 2 mo ago there wasn't a bike on the market I could say I wanted, now I'm in that wtf do I do now hole you've all seen me in twice, thrice? before. I'm hopeless I know

Ha, I remember having an affliction with ALFA Romeo. Those wonderful folks said it stands for "Always Looking For Another." I have no idea why I keep looking for one other machine to license, insure, change oil, sort out . . . "affliction" I think. :wacko:

One thing I've learned about Guzzis these many years: if I don't like the picture, the bike in person may be stunning. If I love the pictures, the bike could disappoint.

Trouble is, here in Lower Middle Tennessee, it could be 2017 before I ever actually see one of these. I'm depending on you guys to go where us Old Gits can't go. :oldgit:

The Victory line is very interesting, I think. But no way it's character will compare to anything Guzzi will give us. Moto Guzzi has consistently given us rider's bikes. An experience and a connection beyond just a product or a "look."

Even after over twelve years and 84,000 miles, my Sport has an intoxicating character. Guzzis are like that.

What is Italian for that "Je ne sais quois?" :wub:

• Like 1

Ha, I remember having an affliction with ALFA Romeo. Those wonderful folks said it stands for "Always Looking For Another." I have no idea why I keep looking for one other machine to license, insure, change oil, sort out . . . "affliction" I think. :wacko:

One thing I've learned about Guzzis these many years: if I don't like the picture, the bike in person may be stunning. If I love the pictures, the bike could disappoint.

Trouble is, here in Lower Middle Tennessee, it could be 2017 before I ever actually see one of these. I'm depending on you guys to go where us Old Gits can't go. :oldgit:

The Victory line is very interesting, I think. But no way it's character will compare to anything Guzzi will give us. Moto Guzzi has consistently given us rider's bikes. An experience and a connection beyond just a product or a "look."

Even after over twelve years and 84,000 miles, my Sport has an intoxicating character. Guzzis are like that.

Si, caro dottore: non so che.

No need to thank me ... I live to serve. :whistle:

Bill

Si, caro dottore: non so che.

No need to thank me ... I live to serve. :whistle:

Bill

Yer funny. Where I come from that translates, "I like you already!" :grin:

• 2 months later...

Saw one on the Guzzi stand at the Bristol Classic Bike Show this weekend (strangely actually in Shepton Mallet).  Did not look so huge as I expected, probably smaller than the new Triumph Rocket 3.  Build quality looked good but also looked a bugger to clean.  Definitely reminded me of the original Cali with the black and white seat.  Did not like the finned, polished and laquered rocker covers - too square and reminded me of those small Korean choppers KMCO, KYGEL or whatever they are called.  Still not beyond the wit of man to have replacements, similar to the original round barrel covers, cast I suppose.

Did not look so huge as I expected, probably smaller than the new Triumph Rocket 3. 

The only bike that doesn't look dwarfed next to the Trumpy R3 is the Victory Vision full boat tourer. That longitudinal I3 in the Rocket is bigger than most car motors! Muench [sorry, this keyboard doesn't do umlauts] would be so proud!

• Like 1

I'm still interested, my griso makes a great touring bike for me right now but anything outside an hour gets hard 2 up and storage is a backpack plus the smallest tank bag I've ever seen in my life, it's laughable, it holds children's sized riding gloves and sun glasses. I'd plan to just have two bikes like my griso and the cali-14 or my DD750 WHAT a bike that is, no distance machine but I have gone on a few day rides. I was sold getting a victory vision before I saw this. I also just learned victory is coming out with some more affordable and reliable Indians... not even 2 mo ago there wasn't a bike on the market I could say I wanted, now I'm in that wtf do I do now hole you've all seen me in twice, thrice? before. I'm hopeless I know

I don't want to spout heresy here, but check out the Ducati Multistrada.  I have an '11 model and it is the most badass touring and sport machine I've ever ridden. And I've ridden a lot.

I still have a couple of Guzzi's (including an Eldo, Docc), and I always will keep a couple of Guzzi's, but damn, that is one fun Duc.  The Eldorado is also super-fun, but in a different, slower, more Fonzi way.  The Eldo is also a beautiful motorcycle, the Multistrada is...visually challenged.

• Like 1