Guzzi California 1400

DeBenGuzzi

If I were blind maybe I would check out the MultiStrada. But I am not, and I can't get past the look of that thing.

I laugh at the MSUV concept. People rave about how great they are, but most of them do nothing with them that I already do with my "normal" motorcycles. And my "normal" motorcycles are substantially easier on the eyes. Plus they handle better then the MSUV's due to better weight balance.

A 32"+ seat height on a street bike is like tits on a bull in my opinion

You can keep your MSUV. Most of them are ridden much like their counterparts, the SUV, are.

If I WAS to buy a Ducati it would be one of the pretty ones like the Monster or even the StreetFighter. But I have pushed enough Ducati's that I am reluctant to buy one, but one day the wife will probably buy a monster.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2013-moto-guzzi-california-1400-custom-review-91530.html?utm_source=mo02282013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

Pretty glowing review.Anyone who's ridden one agree/disagree ? Not that Im in the market for a cruiser,doesn't suit me yet as I can still ride 10-12 hrs on a sport-tourer,but hope this is a success as it may help the sport end of their lineup in the future.

• 6 months later...

Recently completed a three month tour of the USA on the 'Touring' variant. Fantastic bike, doesn't speak to me like my Griso and Mana do though. No issues beyond the sidestand switch failing but when I lent it to a mate the exhaust crossover cracked. This is the second Cali I know of its happened to. Probably wouldn't of happened if I'd de-stressed the system at the first service.

Pete

• Like 1

I took a Custom (with the seat from the Tourer fitted as my wife wanted to pillion & see what all the fuss was about) for an hour jaunt from a local dealer near us (Gosford NSW) who is close to some riding roads.

I was disappointed in the steering of the new Cali - it felt slower to react to the helm than my EV80. It was miles better than a Harley though !!!

I just could not get used to the semi feet forward riding position. I hate those metal over rubber hand grips they fit to the Custom especially the throttle !

The most disappointing aspect was the amount of passenger room which to her did not feel any more than on the EV.

The torque was great but not a significant amount more as a package than my current bike as it seemed to be moving a far greater lump - it may get better as miles are added and it loosens up ?

The odd thing was how smooth (?uninvolving) the bike was while running along but as you slowed almost to a stop it suddenly picked up a tremendous motor vibration - must be those idle "character adding" viscous motor mounts ?

I also could not live with the leg swing you have to throw to get your foot over the panniers without making contact - most of the tourers I have had a look at have multiple scratches on the pannier tops.

The finish was fantastic on both the versions, but I will not be buying one even though I could justify it just on the traction control and ABS safety features alone. I think I will be staying with the EV Cali and just spending a bit more money to clean up the bubbling motor paint finish and the corroded chrome on the wheels - I must be mad ?

• 1 month later...