Clocks change out

Cabernet

I was confused about Kiwi Roy's claim that he found the final solution to the infamous bevel drives. Until I saw the image of the SpeedHut.

Trouble is, I can't seem to post the image here, but it would be an excellent substitute for the trouble prone Veglia. How is the sending unit configured and mounted?

I plan on trying a speed pickup from a car mounted on the gearbox in place of the angle drive. Speedhut sell a GM and Ford type sensor but I will visit a local auto wrecker.
If that's not practicle a friend of mine mounted his sensor to pick up the bolts on his Enfield's rear wheelhub.
Something like a security system reed switch and magnet would be another route, anything that gives a pulse of 1 Volt or more. When I get mine done I will re-post, don't hold your breath though, may not be until spring.

Roy

Update

Thanks Ducwad, actually it was Craig who put me on to using the Auto speed sensor, I saw a post from him and fired off a PM

He used a GM sensor which took a bit of adapting and VDO clocks.

The sensor some Fords use look like they might be easier to adapt.

Quoting from Craig's post

The proper calibration pulse count for the speedometer is 35449 counts per mile, which is very close to what I predicted based on measuring the turns of the speedo cable over 1/100 mile as recommended by Palo Alto Speedometer. 22.1 turns X 16 pulse/rev *100 = 35360

With this info I should be able to figure out how many pulses per km :oldgit: for the speedhut unit

I am in the process of building a new dash to include a pressure gauge and O2 meter, I'm leaning towards.

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM338-SPEEDO-02/1/Speedometer-Gauge-260km-h-Metric-programmable">http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GRM338-SPEEDO-02/1/Speedometer-Gauge-260km-h-Metric-programmable

I don't like the idea of their GPS unit I prefer to adapt the existing speedo drive at the gearbox to put out pulses.

I really like how you can customize the look with different pointers and fonts etc. in day or night. By adding T to

the part number you get turn and high beam lights.

And a Tacho to match

http://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR338-TACH-02/1/Tachometer-Gauge-8K-RPM-Shift-light

Once you get the hang of their site filter there are so many options

I like the look and price of those, closest match to the original that I have seen. I assume that they are weatherproof?

I can see if you are looking to just change one clock out, then the pricing looks attactive. However, I am looking at a complete change out. The TransLogic does the indicators, oil, high beam as will as revs and speed with lap timer. The pricing than does not look so bad.

I can see if you are looking to just change one clock out, then the pricing looks attactive. However, I am looking at a complete change out. The TransLogic does the indicators, oil, high beam as will as revs and speed with lap timer. The pricing than does not look so bad.

I agree, changing out both is expensive, I may yet just try to match a new Speedhut to my existing white face Veglia

I like the fact the gauges are only 1" deep which would make for a more compact unit and I like the old school round face.

SpeedHut also offers combo units with the tach and speedo in the same gauge. Again, the idiot lights are optional.

That is the version I find most interesting. But as Roy is does not want a GPS version I do not know if they an make a mechanical speedo combo unit. He would have to ask.

I picked up the TransLogic Mini Dash this evening.

I have ordered a second hand OE plate that that the clocks sit in from Gusibits.

They should be here next week.

I will take my time fettling the TrLg on to that plate.

I have a track day in 3 weeks at Oulton Park, so once that's done I'll set about installing it.

Watch this space.

That's a fine looking all in one dash

I picked up the TransLogic Mini Dash this evening.

I have ordered a second hand OE plate that that the clocks sit in from Gusibits.

They should be here next week.

I will take my time fettling the TrLg on to that plate.

I have a track day in 3 weeks at Oulton Park, so once that's done I'll set about installing it.

Watch this space.

That's a fine looking all in one dash, I tossed up going that way

http://www.translogicusa.com/micro-dash.php

I have my new dash plate carved out of 1/8 Aluminium plate, thanks to Nosail for machining the large holes.

I since found that metal cutting blades are available for a coping saw, they make short work of the curves.

• 1 year later...

Well it's on, up and running.

I was gonna share some pictures, but I don't see to be able to at this time.

Has there been some changes whilst I have been absent.

Used to be able to.

10277571_732519776800432_701219643017580

As if by magic now I can.

Here it is on a home made backing plate in demo mod.

I am leaving the plastic coating on the aluminium until it is anodised.

Early impressions are good to excellent.

10262197_732536500132093_747619501047766

Here's the speed sensor on the rear brake hanger.

Calibration of the Translogic can be done on a paddock stand with the bike in 6th.

Using the old speedo as the standard, you can set the translogic to it easily.

Less of a faf than riding it alongside a mates bike and playing with the dash button to set it up on the hoof. 

It doesn't use the sensor.

You tell it how far you trust to get on a tank.

When you fill, you reset the trip.

30miles before you reach your safe limit, it starts blinking at you.

I set it to 160, so I get an alert as 130.

If you forget leaving the pumps, it thinks your still empty, acting as a reminder.

I can't fault that display, clear and hopefully far more reliable than Veglias, although to be fair it's only my tacho that I seem to need to change along with the oil. Speedo's been fine for 10K plus.

The fuel thing would make me nervous though... While I would have set mine to 160 miles too (based on my general experience), lately it seems to run on fresh air. I have 195 on this tank so far and I know there's at least another 30 in there as the light's only just come on. Last tankful about the same, maybe not so good... The weather seems to make the difference as this happened last year around this time as things warmed up. On the other hand, I can get the light coming on at 125 sometimes and with so much unaccountable variation, I can't put a 'feel' on it, so I'd still trust a fuel light a bit better.

One heavy bike to push down the road if it lets you down.