WORTH $5500

bikelee

http://maxbmwmotorcycles.com/machine/details.aspx?ID=4993
This bike is 30 minutes from me. I talked to the salesman and he said it leaks from the cam sensor. Is this a big deal ? No other leaks however. What other questions should I ask ? I read here about the clutch. Does this year have the 'bad' clutch. How do these tanks handle ethanol gas ? Do they distort ? They have ALL the stock parts, manuals and such. I really like this machine !! But I want to go into this with my eyes wide open. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I do not have a decent dealer near me and you guys would be my guidance to repairs and maintenance. I have a lift and lots of tools and time ( I am retired ) and would love to own a Guzzi like this. Thanks, Leon.

It looks nice enough to me. I like the Ohlins forks, but they can be a little more prone to seal failures. Some have used non-Ohlins seals for a longer lasting seal but then you do not get the reduced stiction of the Ohlins seal. To each his own I guess.

The leak does not sound like a big deal to me, but how much is it leaking? Are we talking a weep or a drip?

The clutch I do not think is the bad type, should be a normal type clutch but that I am not sure of.

The tanks doe have an issue with modern gas, not sure if it is the ethanol or one or more of the other additives they now put in pump gas. Usually it is not a huge deal, just do not let the tank sit with fuel in it but not mounted to the bike for an extended length of time, had that issue with my Griso and boy it was a bitch to get back on. Some have had issues with the gas bubbling the paint from the inside, others have issues with the tank swelling. I dried the wife's V11 tank out over winter and sealed it with epoxy, so far so good but others have not had as good results from that.

Guzzi's are not perfect bikes as delivered from the factory. A good dealer and/or a willing owner goes a long way towards a happy experience. But they do reward the extra effort with being truly unique rides that deliver an exotic feel with stone axe reliability once sorted.

Not for everyone but those who get it get it.

I think that's a fair price.  I would be a little concerned with the missing tach glass.  I don't think that's a part that you can buy.  I'd ask the dealer to fix it or replace it.  The only other concern that I'd have with that model is the ITI speedometer which is notorius for failing early.  You should verify that both the speedo and the odo are working or get that taken care of by the dealer too.  There's a thread around here somewhere that shows how to take it apart and lube it for longer life.

Since you have a lift and tools I'd say that you don't need to worry about dealer support.  There are threads here that explain how to troubleshoot and fix pretty much anything that can go wrong with these bikes.  I'd guess that there are lots of members here like me that have never brought their bike to a dealer.  Parts are available from quite a few sources.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

This is a good deal. I have an 03 Rosso so I can compare my bike with this one. My cam sensor weeps a bit also, but I havent been bothered enough by it to deal with it. Check to make sure the odometer and speedo are working as these are problematic on low miles bikes of this year. The body work is stock, seat pan is stock. The headlight looks to have been replaced at some time with a BMW one. The stock lights had clear glass, with a fluted reflector and replacements have a fluted glass with a clear reflector...no big deal. The carbon ferracci cans are nice, see if it has the open lid airfilter kit, or any other add ons like a new cross over. It should pull hard with no stumble around 4000 rpms. If it stutters and grabs, it needs to have the ecu adjusted or have a power commander installed (maybe it already does) to richen it up. I do all the maintenance on mine, have had the original seals in my Ohlins, now with 11K miles on them. These are simple bikes to maintain, and loads of fun to run.

I wouldn't sell mine for this, so I think that it makes sense. You can stalk EBAy for another tach to replace the one with broken glass.

First, let's start off with the fact that I am highly biased toward the Corsa models, so...

The clutch issue I believe you are refering to applies only to the single plate models, and all Corsas came stock with the two plate, so good to go there. I have found mine to be absolutely the most favorite bike I've owned to date. These are the only issues I've had so far, the rest being simple upkeep as opposed to break downs:

1.  the front exhaust cross over gets loose. I tried several fixes, the best was I just took it out, made plugs for the openings and feel no difference from when it was in. I'm not real anal about it, and one day will have the nipples cut off and welded over.

2. The speedometers go to shit unless you open it up and grease the drive gears. Mine went at 25,000 miles. Many here and at WildGuzzi.com report that Palo Alto gauge repair ( many seem to hold them in high regard, I don't know them) says they can't get the gears that strip and so don't do a repair. I simply have not replaced mine, I just use the tachometer and feel for road speed. Many use an Sigma electronic bicycle speedo, some have used a proper electronic gauge. The write ups are here to see what you want if that occurs. I plan on doing an electric one that looks pert near stock when I can stop my family from eating for a week or so. For the tachometer glass, there are those dead speedo's in other owners' garages, maybe ready to sell it for that bezel, or make/have one made, shouldn't be too hard.

3. The yellow wire that loops from the regulator to the alternator tends to fry at the connector. Fixed it once but a bad crimp had it go again a year later. Did it again and no problems since.

4. My stantion seals did leak when I bought mine, used with 5000 miles on it. Replaced them myself, and leaked again 5,000 miles later. Brought them to my outstanding local dealer, who repaired them and have not had the leak return. He noted that most of the guys who have leaks also tend to ride them harder. According to several sources, I am guilty of this, your results may vary. When you ride this bike, it whispers bad ideas in your helmet, therefore I am not to blame. To me, once you've tried Ohlins, everything else seems like a step down.

5. That flywheel sensor leak is common, and if cleaned every now and again, is not an issue to me

Overall, you are looking at the best riding, most sought after version of the V11 line, IMHO. Those Ferracci C/F slip on exhausts run about $700.00 or more and are probably the most popular mod made to these, and make the bike sound glorious, so more points in favor. Can't tell, but quite often there is a 2nd aftermarket exhaust crossover installed behind the oil pan at the same time, another plus if so.  A quick search here will turn up multiple threads with someone looking for an Ohlins model LeMans. They will pay off in a great ride with a consistent eye on general overall maintenence, easily done by the average owner and you already seem like a candidate. Guzzi riders just seem to be the type who like to do alot of their own work.  I paid a bit less than twice the price you are looking at, and have not regreted it once. But of course, your experience may be different, but I'd lean towards a bit of haggling, then "pull the trigger" . The only issue I'd point out is that it is the Rosso (red), and the Nero (black) just looks so much better. And the jokers who think that the Tenni, or Copa Italia is the most desireable paint scheme are quite simply daft. The Copa at least has that smooth as butter suspension, but lacks the very functional fairing, and looks as though it was in front of a Mexican paint factory when it exploded. And as for those Tenni guys, they lack the Ohlins, and let's just call a spade "a spade". Every group has it's mentally deranged subset. :whistle:

Ducking and walking before they make me run...Here's mine when she was pristine, but alot of riding cured that. Good luck in your hunt, S.H.

money shot.jpg

• Like 1

Leon

If you buy it and don't like it Ill take it off your hands.Im near Kingston so if you need help,or a second opinion let me know I have a lot of the maintenance proceduress down and just recently replaced clutch.

If I was looking for a V11 I would ONLY look for a Ohlins equipped model.best suspension I've riddin on,ever.Does it have a PC 3?

Michael

Palo Alto Speedo Service can fix (around $300) the instruments , if you are a pretty good mechanic you can fix the fork leak . There are seals , wipers and bushins that need to be replaces. There are special fork oils for USD forks so don't use just any fluid.

These are the most enjoyable motorcycles ever built. Moto Guzzi was not made for  everyone , and not everyone was made for Moto Guzzi.

Congrats Leon!That's a great deal,7-8K would be a fair price for her if there isn't anything unseen wrong  (unlikely).As I said before if you need help or have questions feel free to PM me.

Michael

Congrats you are now part of a very exclusive group! Estimates vary, some say only about 66 Rossos were imported to the USA. Use genuine Ohlins fork oil and change it regularly per the owners guide.

Enjoy the ride!

Andy