V11Lemans versus BMW R1100S

ray40

Hey guys first post here

I own a project 77 lemans and a 75 BMW R90s and since bitten by Guzzi bug I am seriously thinking about adding a "modern" V11 Guzzi to the stable

I have also been considering a R1100s mostly because there are many more around and appear similar in some ways regarding weight/power/etc -- although the looks might be an acquired taste

Anyone out there that could compare say the V11 lemans to the BMW?

Im looking for more of a sport/touring ride - pretty much what the R90s was -"back in the day"

tnx much appreciated

Hi, Ray! Hope you enjoy the forum and get some good input. 

Interesting comparison between the two bikes you're considering. I looked at, and rode, two different R1100S. One before I got my Sport and one while the Sport was in the shop for three or four months on a warranty issue. I've always admired the Bavarian boxers having lived south of Munich as a youth. I figured if I was going to get a boxer, it would be the S. That said, I really wanted to like the BMW.

After riding the Guzzi, I found the Beemer really slow to turn in. Even changing lanes seemed to involve a radio call from the bridge to the helm to the engine room. Stable, sure, but short on the fun handling I had become accustomed to.

No doubt, a big draw for me to motorcycles, and the Guzzi V11 in particular, is the character of the big twin. I thought the R1100S would have the character of a big twin, but: no, not so much. Riding it, I couldn't believe the motor was so understated. I left with the impression that the engineers had worked really hard on that. And achieved it - The raw, thrumming, booming, angry snarl just are not part of the BMW equation. More refined, quiet, seamless, isolated.

So, from my direct comparison: if you're looking for that kind of stability with a nice, subdued power plant and a widely developed dealer network: it's the R1100S. On the other hand, for a more engaged experience (on the road and in the garage), the Guzzi will not disappoint. Also, the V11 range from the early Sports of 1999-2001, through the LeMans and the "late model" editions of 2003-2005 offer a substantial number of choices beyond the few color variations of the BMW.  Check out his thread: Breakdown of Model Year Changes

Looking forward to watching your odyssey!  Best of luck!  

Hi Ray

I'm not known for sugar coating things to much so I'll cut to the chase.

if you want to ride a sewing machine, go for the BMW.

if you want a roarty torty, grab her by the neck and ride me bike ...get the V11

cheers

andy

Ray I rode a rented R1100R for a few thousand miles back in the early 00's and thought it was great but not for me.Ive been riding VFR's for about 15 years and thought they were a perfect sport-tourer. The R handled better than anything I had ridden and I just flew done mountain roads at speeds near or faster than the VFR because of a great suspension and boxer gyro effect,but I hit the rev limiter numerous times looking for more power,it's all down low.Useful but not exciting.

The Guzzi is more rev happy, handles great but not as comfortable.I can stay in the saddle all day but wouldnt choose it for a week or more of touring or commuting.The BMer would be better suited to that.

MHO,.....

The only BMW I have ridden is the Rockster. It had a pipe (Remus) that gave it a great sound.

It was pretty cool, and fun to ride. I had issues with the switchgear, but other then that I would not mind owning one. It was not the sharp tool the V11 is, but it was fun in a typical German way. But my brother felt otherwise and he sold it. He does that.

Would I pick one over a Guzzi? Well, no. But then I am a member of a couple Guzzi forums but not of any BMW forums. I suspect the answers you get on a BMW forum would be tilted the other way.

Guzzi's are like a red headed girl friend, tremendously rewarding relationship but requires more effort to keep that relationship happy. You have to listen to her and do things SHE wants to do. But the rewards are high.

In the end it comes down to which one speaks to you.

Guzzi's (and BMW's) are not for everyone. Ride one and see if it(She) speaks to you.

Docc's comments were excellent.  I own a BMW R1150 GSA, Ducati ST4S and a recently acquired V11 Sport Coppa Italia.  The boxer twin is a great motor for the GSA's mission but as a sport bike or sport tourer the BMW motor is boring and lacking in any personality.  I have even taken a new 1200 boxer bike that had thousands of dollars in performance upgrades and found it to still lack character.  The boxer handles nicely and the motor has a broad power band but is lacking in attributes I find a requirement for fun.  The Moto Guzzi and my Ducati have personality in spades.  This is my first Moto Guzzi and makes me smile big time.  Lover the torque motor and with the titanium factory exhaust sounds like a big block V8.  Handling on my Ohlins equipped Coppa is very nice as well.  

I also have an Aprilia RSV Mille R.  Yep; character in spades.

Tod

Thanks MZNYC.  I am crazy about my small collection.

Actually just sold the Duc. Being picked up in a couple of weeks by the lucky new owner.  It sold on Ducati.ms in six hours!  With two back up buyers.  Loved my Senna color bike but found that I prefer the BMW for traveling and the Moto Guzzi for casual back road rides.

Also have a 1959 Triumph T100 restored by Jim Strait and a 2005 Bonneville T100 customized to look like the old Bonnevilles.  My wife recently decided to try the sport and has a Royal Enfield Classic Chrome C5 but will likely move to the 2005 Triumph with a bit more experience.

I bought the Aprilia primarily for track days.  Way to crazy fast for spending time on street....

Here is my Duc.  Looks just like yours!!!  6500 miles new and suspension by Rick at Cogent...sweet bike and sad to see it go.

Need to post a pic of my new to me 4100 mile Coppa to the Coppa thread.

DSC_0236.jpg

I have had a BMW R850R 2001 alongside a V11 2003.

The 850 was a great bike. Egonomics were great, BMW luggage extra's were great, fuel usage was good.

Now, I am a rider more than a wash and polisher.

I could see the engine coated BMW rotting underneath me, but the V11 held up much better.

I was a motorcycle courier for 5 years on Suzuki and Honda's.

I saw folk using BMW boxers and they all had major problems. Engine, gearbox, clutch and bevel box.

I never couriered mine but I did have a gearbox seal go in the first two year under warranty.

It required the engine and gearbox to be seperated. Glad I didn't have to pick up the bill.

In 2010, enough was enough and I got shot, although did not loose loads having had it for 8 years.

I have now the 750 Breva to replace the 850 BMW.

I won't be having another BMW until I see a quality turn around.

Mind you, I wouldn't have a big block Guzzi later than a V11/Quota either.

Tnx all - appreciate the colorful responses

It did not take much to convince me that a V11 is in my future - finding one is the next challenge

It was because of the engaging quality of my 77 lemans project that made me realize what was missing from the R90S... not exactly a "sewing machine"

but "civilized" for sure.

Tnx all - appreciate the colorful responses

It did not take much to convince me that a V11 is in my future - finding one is the next challenge

It was because of the engaging quality of my 77 lemans project that made me realize what was missing from the R90S... not exactly a "sewing machine"

but "civilized" for sure.

A friend of mine had an R90S back in the day, and he traded bikes with me on a ride. I was looking forward to seeing what it was like, and afterward thought, "That's what people are swooning over??"  Borrrring. :huh2: Gimme a Guzzi any day.

For got to mention, my R850R I found need the sustension upgrading.

New Hagon front with adjustable damping.

New Hagon rear.

Replacement torque are with adjustable length.

I used the Hagons to raise the ride height 10mm both ends.

I used the adjustable torque arm to raise the rear a further 15mm.

It did handle alot better like that.