V11Lemans versus BMW R1100S

ray40

While I don't have an answer to your question to add here, I just wanted to tell you that your LeMans I and R90S are two of my absolute favorite vintage bikes.  You have good taste.

• 2 weeks later...

I had an R90S as well, back in the day. I rode the wheels off that thing, and thought it was a great touring machine, but wasn't much 'sport'. There was too much frame flex as I recall. My G5 (a sofa on wheels) handled as good or better, but it wasn't as fast.

Sheesh, I don't care- as long as it has two or three wheels and a motor, I'm good with it. I'm lucky nowadays that I can be a chooser instead of a beggar.

In the early seventies as a soldier in Germany  I had a frame mounted half race fairing on a Norton, I dropped the bike and broke the fairing.  I cut it short and mounted it to the handlebars so it fitted around the headlamp which was now back in its original mounts.  Looked great.  A year later BMW bought out the R90S with the same fairing layout.  I have always been a leader of fashion .

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know if you bought anything yet, but do I own both of the bikes you're considering. A '99 black R1100S and a '04 Le Mans Nero Corsa. The V11 is by far a much more fun to ride-- as I'm sure everyone here will tell you. It has tons of character and is uncommon.

The BMW is a better choice for a sport-touring machine. That is what you said you were looking for. The reasons are that for real touring you can't discount the extensive BMW dealer network, luggage, heated grips, and ABS.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had 3 bmw's, a 89 BMW K75S, a 94 R1100RSL then a 97 F650.  I thought when I purchased the 94 R1100RSL that this would be the last bike I ever owned. During the years I had it, no one, no one ever told me "nice bike". The bike did everything pretty well but you could never get a nice sounding exhaust note from this machine. Anyway, in 2001, I was at the BMW shop and noticed a new green 2000 V11 Sport in the show room. I left and went home and told my wife I wanted it. She asked, did you ride it? Well, no, it wasn't preped yet. Anyway, the next day I went down and bought it, rode it home and OH man, now this is what a bike should sound like. Stopped at a gas station to fuel up and a guy comes over stating that he just saw the same Guzzi at the motorcycle show in town. (come to find out that the bike at the show was the one I purchased) Day after day I rode the Guzzi, the BMW sat, two months later, I sold the BMW and have not looked at another one since.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

when you start up the bmw it even sounds flat, when you start up the guzzi, ITS ALIVE AND KICKING!  love me beema for long trips and two up rides, but my guzzi, a v11sport, feels special, and stirs much fun and emotion.