OBD connector?

Splicer

I've been trying to troubleshoot my Nero Corsa running like chitty chitty bang bang—which it's been doing for months now. I'm getting about 20 miles to the gallon and fear for my life as every streetcorner means a chance for a backfire to give me a violent jolt while leaned over (even ever so slightly) throwing me into a highside and breaking my neck when I land on a fire hydrant.

Haha, OK. Well, it would be nice to get these issues sorted even if I probably won't die from a rough-running engine.

And there are plenty of threads about how to diagnose this. Many of them suggest that I ought to check the electronics for a failed sensor. Apparently the on-board diagnostics port will help me with this.

I have access to OBD readers, but no connector sold on earth seems to match the connector on the Guzzi.

So I have two questions.

First: Is this the OBD port? 

(if yes) Second: where can I get a cable? (I've found a number of threads that purport to source this cable but they all lead to eBay auctions that expired years ago. Sadly that does not help.)

(if answer to the first question is no) Where is the connector I should be looking for and what does it look like?

Bonus question: if that's not the OBD port, what is it?

Bonus bonus question: why isn't this information in the shop manual?

Bonus bonus bonus question: if it is in the shop manual, what page is it on? I'll feel like a real idiot but at least I'll know. :-)

Thanks!

AMP_CX_33.jpg

AMP_CX_34.jpg

PS just to be clear, I know that old eBay auctions can give me a hint at the correct part, but none of those old auctions have photos that show the mate to the connector I have. Many have a similar shape but three pins (evenly spaced) rather than four.

Just for fun, check the rubber between the throttlebodies and the airbox for slight cracking/leaks. I have been known to spritz LIGHTLY around other machines with a can of ether. If you've got an air leak, it'll start revving. There are alternative SAFER choices that will drag the motor down when you shoot the  leaking area, but you gotta face this fact. That's no fun.  That, plus everyone here is addicted to a air cooled twin when she comes off idle to that roarty bellow, with AUTHORITY!! 

The diagnostic connector is 3 pin. The 4 pin connector is for the o2 sensor (on the exhaust collector/xover) If your bike should have an o2 sensor fitted and hasn't this could explain its poor running.

My 2004  Rosso Corsa  has the 4 pin connector with nothing attached but is not fitted with an o2 sensor. It still has the original collector/xover.

The 3 pin diagnostic plug is located right by the 4 pin plug, mine has a dust cap over the end and if I remember correctly has a black, red  and blue wires running to it.

The connectors are amp superseal and readily available.

OK, awesome. I *had* seen HaydnR's thread (and many of the other ones) but all of the photos showed what appeared to be a three-pin rather than a four-pin connector. (Many of them were at enough of an angle that they *might* have been four-pin connectors but it was hard to be sure… but this is the V11 Le Mans forum, not the Product Photography Critique Forum!)

This was the missing piece of information: The 3-pin connector is the right one, and the 4-pin connector is totally unrelated. I'm going to run downstairs and find the correct connector then order the cable today.

Mine is a 2004 Nero Corsa. I'm not aware of any differences between the Nero and Rosso (other than the paint, of course) so I'm not going to worry about the fact that my O2 sensor connector isn't connected to anything. 

Awesome awesome awesome!  :thumbsup:  I've been banging my head against this one for months. I didn't want to start a new thread because there are so many threads that cover this stuff but I wasn't getting anywhere. Hopefully looking at the right connector I'll get some traction on these issues!

• 1 year later...