New Owner V11 Sport Questions

SCole

My ECU was fins down also, I believe some have had trouble with the seat mashing the connector,

What are those 2 black canisters sitting in the tool tray?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My ECU was fins down also, I believe some have had trouble with the seat mashing the connector,

What are those 2 black canisters sitting in the tool tray?

Whoa,ya what the heck are those?Looks fuel related.

Thanks guys!  Tom, I already flipped the ECU over with the battery out of the bike, thanks.  Have to get the craddle for the battery powder coated as there was some rust from a battery leak in the past.  Good news was it did not hurt the red frame!!  Yes, the canisters are going away once new intake rubbers arrive and I find a fuel filter as I am definitly not going to leave the tank off for long.  Question, did the later model V11's come with a metal tank or are they all plastic?  This delicate expanding tank BS is what it is!

Ha!  Those are the charcoal canisters for the evaporative emissions system.  They are huge and weigh a ton!

Plus all the hoses running all over the place!  My vent and overflow lines may already be joined together right behind the tank?  Will find out once the tank is off.

Also, can anyone comment on Ti mufflers vs Mistral CF?  Would like to do something like one of these but it might be a wait to find decent used Ti cans?

Thanks

As long as you have things apart, check the oil breather hose and check valve that connects from the rear of the engine to the spine frame. If the check valve stays shut, it could cause problems-those engines need to breathe properly.

Ken

Ha!  Those are the charcoal canisters for the evaporative emissions system.  They are huge and weigh a ton!

Plus all the hoses running all over the place!  My vent and overflow lines may already be joined together right behind the tank?  Will find out once the tank is off.

Also, can anyone comment on Ti mufflers vs Mistral CF?  Would like to do something like one of these but it might be a wait to find decent used Ti cans?

Thanks

Guzzi Ti's.There was a set in the forum classified section.Get em while you can,getting rare.

Those are too bent, already checked them out.  Just an FYI for everyone at lunch I found a post about adding fender washers under the rear of the tank to get it away from the forks...and it works!  Collective knowledge is ALWAYS better!  Thanks to all!

All the exhaust canisters seem to sound great. Andy York's oval aluminum Gianellis' are awesome (but he may have gutted them while no one was looking :whistle: )

Go with the cans you like the look of on your bike: shiny vs carbon/ round vs oval. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the way it runs or sounds either way.

After pulling the carbon canisters off and pulling out all twenty feet (I kid you not) of 1/2 fuel line the entire mess weighed 5 pounds. Get some good quality, tight fitting rubber caps for the intakes and carry a couple extras, just in case they blow off until you get your throttle bodies in good balance.

If you pull off the little bracket at the back of the gearbox that holds the two vent hoses to the bottom, know that the fastener goes in a hole that is continuous with the gear oil and it will come pouring out making a mess and the guy who pulled it out looking silly. :grin:

Okay, got another.  Thanks to the suggestion above checked the crankcase breather at the frame and of course the rubber is cracking.  So since I do not have the tank off yet do I need to buy the expensive Guzzi hose or can I just run straight hose from the auto parts for this one?  Thanks

I just bought the replacement hose and check valve from MGcycle this week. I didn't want to mess around with trying to bend heater hose and risk it kinking on me. The few extra bucks is worth the piece of mind. I'm sure you could clean out the check valve and it would be fine. Since my V11 is 12 years old, I thought I'd treat it well with new parts. 

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=1186

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=1007

Ken

From the pictures of the hoses side by side, it doesn't look like it needs any bending, just trimming. Yet, a quick search showed most sources are  $20-25US, although there was one for $10.90. Not a huge savings, but the heater hose may be a bit more durable.

Notable that the picture shows the Guzzi part for an EV, not a spine frame, yet spine frame owners at the time reported simply trimming it to fit.

Better link here directly to the picture.

Ken, Thanks for the reminder on the valve. I completely forget it is there!