V11 Ecu diagnostics and reprogramming

Paul Minnaert

Quick question on the FTDI driver. Is it the VCP Virtual Com Port driver that should be downloaded?

Thanks!

That is my understanding. Make your selection based upon your computer's operating system and processor architecture (Not the bike's computer, the computer you are using to interface with the ECU software).

As I am not the expert to answer this, I welcome clarifications or corrections!

Thanks Docc. That's what I had done. I made my first attempt to run Gizzi Diag yesterday and couldn't get any Com ports to list in the Guzzi Diag Settings window.

My older Mac Book has two usb ports and neither would work. I thought perhaps I might have loaded the wrong drivers.

Also the cable light comes on (red not blue as in the pic) when I plug in to the usb port even if it's not connected to the battery with the alligator clips.

I've also downloaded the IAW15xreader and IAW15xwriter files but I have no idea what the hell they are and whether I really need them.

Cheers!

John (Confused in East Richmond Heights)

I just connected and saw the same thing, initially (no COM ports to choose from).

Once the cabling is connected (mine doesn't have a light), open preferences, select "file" and click "connect."

The COM port selection should populate then (?), and you'll be prompted to switch on the ignition.

Otherwise, I would be concerned that your OBD connector is not properly FTDI chipped.

Quick question on the FTDI driver. Is it the VCP Virtual Com Port driver that should be downloaded?

Thanks!

That is my understanding. Make your selection based upon your computer's operating system and processor architecture (Not the bike's computer, the computer you are using to interface with the ECU software).

Thanks Docc. That's what I had done. I made my first attempt to run Gizzi Diag yesterday and couldn't get any Com ports to list in the Guzzi Diag Settings window.
My older Mac Book has two usb ports and neither would work. I thought perhaps I might have loaded the wrong drivers.
Also the cable light comes on (red not blue as in the pic) when I plug in to the usb port even if it's not connected to the battery with the alligator clips.
I've also downloaded the IAW15xreader and IAW15xwriter files but I have no idea what the hell they are and whether I really need them.

Cheers!

I just connected and saw the same thing, initially (no COM ports to choose from).

Once the cabling is connected (mine doesn't have a light), open preferences, select "file" and click "connect."

The COM port selection should populate then (?), and you'll be prompted to switch on the ignition.

Otherwise, I would be concerned that your OBD connector is not properly FTDI chipped.

Any luck?

Where did you source the OBD -> USB cable?

If this is not a solution, I will move these posts to the main ECU Diagnostics and reprogramming thread to get some expert response.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Any luck?

Where did you source the OBD -> USB cable?

If this is not a solution, I will move these posts to the main ECU Diagnostics and reprogramming thread to get some expert response.

Haven't been able to get to it yet docc. Hopefully tonight or tomorrow. The cable was sourced from ecstuning.

Hello docc, I tried your solution but no luck. When I opened "preferences" - "file" the "connect" box was grayed out and didn't respond. I'm wondering if this is a driver issue. I'd downloaded driver 2.2.18 from the ECStuning driver page http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htmsince I'm using a Mac Book Pro running OS X 10.7.5. There's a reference to a Technical Note regarding issues with Mac drivers TN-105 but it's beyond my level of comprehension.

I seem to remember some mention on this site about not using the cable manufacturers driver but instead a specific Guzzidiag driver but can't find that comment on search.

At any rate, thanks for your help. I'm headed down to LA for a few days (memorial for a family member) so won't be able to do anything on the bike until next week. Not that it matters, pissing down rain with 30 mph gusts here on NorCal.

Thanks again docc!

From a certain version, mac os has a ftdi driver build in. I once used an official ftdi usb com cable and that worked with the driver in the OS build in. 

If you get no serial port to choose from, Or the wrong driver or at least one that doesn't combine with your vag cable. 

Stick with the lonetec cable

http://lonelec.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=57_20

not the cheapest but at least they work and save time and headaches. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

From a certain version, mac os has a ftdi driver build in. I once used an official ftdi usb com cable and that worked with the driver in the OS build in. 

If you get no serial port to choose from, Or the wrong driver or at least one that doesn't combine with your vag cable. 

Thanks Paul. Looks like the Apple FTDI driver started with OS-X 10.9 and my older MacBook can only run as high as OS 10.7.5 so I guess there couldn't be a driver conflict with the one I downloaded from the FTDI driver page (version 2.2.18).

I'm using the the VAG KKL usb adaptor from ESCTuning and the OBD - OBDII Fiat/Lancia connector and still unable to any reading on any com port (only two on my MacBook). So, before I pop for a second set of cables, are there any other Mac users who have had similar problems and can give me some guidance?  I really need to get to the CO trim. I'm only getting 30 MPG and the plugs are sooty.

Thanks everyone!

John

I had trouble getting a connection yesterday and remembered you have to select your model of Guzzi from the preferences first.

That's interesting docc. I tried it again and noticed that when I enter my model, V11 Cafe (for 2004 V11 Cafe Sport) Guzzidiag lists a different ECU in the ECU Information window. The bike has a IAW 15 M . C1 and the window shows IAW 15RC PF3 C. It shows this ECU for "Bellabio Cat", "V11 Cafe" and "V11 Cat". All other models show IAW 15M PF3 C ECU's. So I tried using one of the models with a 15M ECU and still no luck, no com ports shown.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Paul, I took your suggestion and ordered the Lonelec cable set and now, at last, it can read my MacBook port and I'm able to connect. However I'm still having a few problems, as follows:

I have a 2004 V11 Cafe Sport. When I select "V11 Cafe" in the Guzzi Diag Settings window the ECU Information box shows an ECU that I don't have -

15 RC PF3C . My Cafe Sport ECU is 15M - C1. It also shows only zero's for the map version. Despite this I tried to adjust my CO trim after bringing the bike up to 60C temp and got an error message stating "Active Diagnostics Could Not Be Started".

I decided to try the process again using "V11 Sport" as my model because that at least showed a 15M PF3C ECU but got the same results, only zero's for the map version and the same error message for CO trim.

Is there another listed model that I should be using and why am I getting the "Active Diagnostic" error message?

I'd sincerely appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks!

John :oldgit:

Hi All,

I'm in the process of buying the necessary cables etc and been looking at lots of the topics 'Decent tune up' and several others etc. I have a 2001 V11 and looking at the GuzziDiag page how do I find out which reader / writer programmne I need as there seem to be multiple options? Sorry if it's an obvious question -

Cheers -

Martin

Martin,

If you have a 15M or 15RC ECU in your V11, then you need GuzziDiag. A 2001 most likely has a 15M. Currently the latest GuzziDiag version is V0.47.

Select the version for your computer operating system.

If you bought the Lonelec cable (I recommend their well made and reliable package) then you should download the driver from their website. Even though windows 10 should make the cable work, I've seen W10 fail to connect till you visit Lonelec's site. The cable comes with good instructions. 

The old Windows XP netbook I use works well, with a rock solid connection to the ECU, so you don't need a new or powerful computer.

The cable and GuzziDiag will let you do diagnostic checks and troubleshooting on your V11. It will also let you adjust your CO (fuel) trim. Here is the tutorial from Docc: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19641

Once you get to that point, you are ready to save a copy of your .BIN file onto your computer using IAW15XREADER. This allows you to revert to the original .BIN file if you don't like any other .BIN you loaded.

If you have another .BIN to load, you need IAW15XWRITER. This lets you overwrite the .BIN on the ECU with another. 

If you have a 15M ECU, then you could ask Meinolf if he could offer you a suitable .BIN for your bike.

I'm on my 3rd .BIN, and my bike has improved from a cantankerous bitch to an awesome machine. Docc's Decent Tuneup guide can take some of the credit, but Meinolf has transformed my ECU from a croaking frog to symphonic harmony.  :thumbsup:

Marty 

• Like 1

My apologies for somewhat duplicating my post above but I really do need some help. I'm almost  finished with Docc's Decent Tuneup. All that remains to be done is to adjust the CO trim. Apparently a previous owner set the CO VERY rich. I'm only getting 30 MPG and after only 1300 miles the plugs are totally black. I don't want to ride it in this condition so I've developed a serious case of "No Bike Syndrome" which is very painful and keeps me awake it night.

The bike is a 2004 V11 Cafe Sport. I'm using the latest Guzzidiag V0.47 on an earlier Mac Book Pro OS 10.7.5 and hooked up with the Lonelec cable set. My problem is as follows:

When I attempt to set the CO trim, after warming the engine to +60 c, I get an error message stating "Active Diagnostics Could Not Be Started" and I'm unable to continue the CO trim adjustment process.

Also, and I don't know if this is related to the above, but when I select my model "V11 Cafe" in the Guzzi Diag Settings window it shows that I have a 15RC ECU when the unit in the bike is a 15M.

At this point I'd really appreciate any help, suggestions, etc. Need to get back on the road.

Cheers!

John :notworthy: