V11 Ecu diagnostics and reprogramming

Paul Minnaert

Because it's probably a Java app it's showing a bunch of normally hidden Unix files. I'm going to download the software now and try it out. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I talked to John today to help out with the computer stuff.

In the meantime I plugged my bike in to see if there were any issues connecting. John had given me an extra adapter cable he had and I already had the USB to ODB from my Triumph. It worked great even going through the USB-C to USB-A adapter!

03bfc254c1f62b38609bd9603845e3e7.jpg

Tach gauge seems to be dead on. Didn't get the bike hot enough to check the other stuff.

f1bed0debd062974753eb89e3d15e54d.jpg

The alligator clips were too small so I attached them to the Battery Tender cable! Perfect.

cfce4ff91e7af75d2c19a6c23ce84c97.jpg

b49d2c32b3bc65275395d0ed356661e8.jpg

My side question is what are these two bullet connectors for? One seems to be a ground and I don't know what the other one does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those connectors are unused on the V11.

BTW, where did you find your CO Fuel Trim set?

Keeping in mind I was only at a max engine temp of about 30˚C and I think the CO was at about 30. Until I get the engine to full temp I don't know if that number is useful.

Unused in the US? Pretty unusual for a manufacturer to put stray wires in the harness. They had to be meant for something.

Don't let those connectors keep you up at night. :blink:

Looking at the CO Fuel Trim can be done cold. Changing it with guzzidiag has to be done at operating temperature. Meinolf favors changing the CO Fuel Trim in the EEPROM, but that's outside my pay grade.

I'm going to check out the EEPROM too. But I like the feedback from GuzziDiag. It's a lot like the stuff we could do with the Triumphs.

This is directed to Mac Book Pro users who are running Guzzidiag. I've been trying to load a new map to the 15M ECU on my 2004 V11 Cafe Sport. When I open the IAW 15 Writer app and hit the "click to choose file" button it brings up a box called "Choose a file" (shown in the screen shot below). 

Not a box I've seen before. All the items listed in the left box are dead links BTW. How do I get the writer to search my downloads, desktop, etc?

Thanks!

John   (it was all so simple way back when I had my 386sx!) :oldgit:

Since I posted this I've found that the folders in the left box are in my MacBook hard drive yet I'm still unable to open them to find the .bin file I need (which is a stock V11 map sent to me by MartyNZ). Swooshdave says, and I agree with him, that It looks like there's an issue with IAW writer not being able to search my Mac hard drive. Has anyone had this issue?

Also, In Guzzidiag, has anyone gotten the error message "Active Diagnostics Could not be Started" when attempting to set their CO trim?

Help! My bike is running so rich the neighbors have taken up a petition!

... it looks like there's an issue with IAW writer not being able to search my Mac hard drive. Has anyone had this issue?

Also, In Guzzidiag, has anyone gotten the error message "Active Diagnostics Could not be Started" when attempting to set their CO trim?

I had some connection problems with getting the right driver for the cable. A cheap Chinese OBD2 cable would only connect to a 15M using the driver from the same site I got GuzziDiag from, but it refused to connect to a 15RC.

The cable I bought from  www.lonelec.co.uk  worked best using Lonelec's driver. Windows 10 didn’t get the cable working, but forcing Lonelec's driver made it work.

Once I consistently got a reliable connection on GuzziDiag,  I have never had an issue with IAW15XWRITER. Dangerous and I both have succeeded in browsing for, and loading a .BIN file using a windows 10 or XP computer, but I can't comment about a Mac.

I saw GuzziDiag fail to connect to a 15RC ECU when GD was set to a V11 model which uses 15M. It just returns a message "switch off ignition" after about 10 seconds of no other response, with no error message.

Your error message could be related to a driver or cable problem. 

... it looks like there's an issue with IAW writer not being able to search my Mac hard drive. Has anyone had this issue?

I had some connection problems with getting the right driver for the cable. A cheap Chinese OBD2 cable would only connect to a 15M using the driver from the same site I got GuzziDiag from, but it refused to connect to a 15RC.

The cable I bought from  www.lonelec.co.uk  worked best using Lonelec's driver. Windows 10 didn’t get the cable working, but forcing Lonelec's driver made it work.

Once I consistently got a reliable connection on GuzziDiag,  I have never had an issue with IAW15XWRITER. Dangerous and I both have succeeded in browsing for, and loading a .BIN file using a windows 10 or XP computer, but I can't comment about a Mac.

I saw GuzziDiag fail to connect to a 15RC ECU when GD was set to a V11 model which uses 15M. It just returns a message "switch off ignition" after about 10 seconds of no other response, with no error message.

Your error message could be related to a driver or cable problem. 

Marty,

I'm using the Lonelec cables as well. For Mac they recommend the same driver from the FTDI driver page as ESCTuning does (which was the first cable I tried without success and returned it). I'm using "V11 Sport" as my model since the "Cafe Sport" selection assumes I have a 15RC ECU, and I have the 15M. I'm definitely connected and can read RPM, engine temp, etc. Meinolf mentioned that my existing map has been modified, by whom and to what extent is unknown and I'm guessing that this may be preventing the CO trim function from working, hence the "Active Diagnostics" error message.

My plan was to write the stock map you sent me over whatever is in the ECU now in the hopes that it will allow Guzzdiag to function normally. But, as Swooshdave said yesterday, unfortunately something in the IAW15XWRITER code isn't searching my hard drive for your .bin file so I'm stuck between a rock and...another rock.

Meanwhile I'm looking around for another laptop I can beg, borrow or steal so I can try this whole thing in Windows which I'm more familiar with. The MacBook I'm using is a hand me up from my son and I haven't really used it much until now and I'm not impressed.

Marty, thanks again for your input!

Cheers!

John (I'm no Steve Wozniak)

I just downloaded the writer, of course it won't let me do anything unless I'm hooked up. Let me try that and see what happens.

docc has a Mac, I wonder if he's tried to load a new .bin?

So, again, my expertise is primarily with hammers. :huh:

I have no experience with the .bin files, IAW/Reader or IAW/Writer.

The CO Fuel Trim setting should be visible with GD. The error code attempting to set the CO could occur if the motor is not to operating temperature. GD will see the CO cold, but it can only be changed with GD at operating temp (~60ºC).

John, can you see the existing CO setting in guzzidiag?

Docc,

I'm getting the engine temp well over 60c before I try the CO trim. On a few occasions it briefly flashed the trim reading but then I get the error message and the trim function shuts down. First reading was +113 ! Then on another attempt I got a -200 something, but this flashed so quickly I can't be certain.

I tend to believe the +113 reading since I'm getting 30 MPG at best and you can see what my new plugs look like at 1300 miles in the pic below.

I'm picking up a Windows 10 laptop tomorrow night and I'll download the Windows version of Guzzidiag and the reader and writer and try it all again on Friday. Keeping all my thumbs crossed!

IMG_0584.JPG

SUCCESS AT LAST!! All it took was a new computer. I gave up on the old Mac Book and was able to find an almost new Windows 10 laptop. I loaded GuzzDiag and the Reader and Writer and connected up this morning. Took a few attempts, GuzzDiag is fickle. I brought the engine up to +60 degrees and tried the CO trim but again got the "Active Diagnostics not functioning, etc.". MartyNZ had sent me the stock map for his Rosso Mandello and also the Titatnium map so I gave up on the map that I had (whatever it was) and wrote the Rosso Mandello map in to the ECU.

Bingo! Instead of all zeros in the ECU info box I now had actual numbers, which was encouraging. I also saw a CO trim reading of 50, which I'd seen before. Again I warmed it up but this time I was able to open the CO trim function and set it at zero. Interestingly there wasn't any effect on the idle other than it might be slightly lower.

Took a quick spin through the 'hood and it runs really well. Throttle butterfly balance and resetting the TPS sure helps. Tomorrow I'll get out for a longer ride and burn through that good sized scoop of Techron I dumped in the tank. One of these days I'll try that Titanium map.

Big time thanks to Docc, MartyNZ, Swooshdave, Meinolf and all the other members who pitched in and tried to keep me sane!

Yours truly,

John (I even remembered what side the shifter's on!)

PS I have a new enemy though. He's called Windows 10. What a POS!

• Like 3