V11 Ecu diagnostics and reprogramming

Paul Minnaert

I bought s MyECU before Guzidiag was available and came up with the idea of tweaking the AFR while riding by applying an offset +/- 100 mV to the TPS Voltage thinking I would then be able to make a map change.

I was surprised how little effect the TPS Voltage had on the AFR. I often puzzled over that.

Sent from my shoe phone!

Just had a lovely ride out with my new custom map  :) and cured the 2k misfire - by guesswork rather than science it must be said..... However I seem to be getting somewhere. Bearing in mind the 'old' map ran a v11 motor, so it was at best an approximation of the fuelling needs of the v10, but it worked - with issues around town. So I looked at the maps and took my prompt from the maps for each cylinder with acceleration  enrichment as well as the base maps, which showed considerable differences between the cylinders at the suspect rev range. Taking a wild guess that the misfire was due to lack of fuel I enriched the lh cylinder to bring it a bit closer to the rh, blending the numbers to avoid big steps, and it worked.  :D  :D  :D  tickover dropped a bit causing the odd stall at lights, but I'm sure I can fix that  :luigi:

Now I'm fired up to splash the cash on an AFR meter to reduce guesswork and increase science!

From the Shoulders of giants chaps, thanks for your advice and encouragement!

Ciao

• Like 3

OK, so for us simpletons, if I raise the CO from zero to +10, am I making it richer or leaner? Thought I'd ask. :huh2:

Richer. But, as Meinolf points out in post #272, primarily at the most closed throttle angles (idle and just off), and insignificant at WOT. 

The "richer" part I feel I'm a Qualified Simpleton to reply, but the rest is truly and actually the Rocket Science we've heard so much about . . .  :notworthy::nerd:

Docc, I was being a little "tongue in cheek" there and hope I didn't offend anyone. After reading Meinolf's interesting posts it suddenly occurred to me that maybe I'd done it backwards! This happens at my age..as in "I know I came down to the garage for something, but what the hell was it?" Anyway, although it's only a minimal tweak, getting the CO trim in line has helped my bike quite a bit. My plugs look normal and today I got 36 MPG on an aggressive (for me) ride up to Middletown and back. There's definitely a new map in my future though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I figured I would post something after lurking for a year or so.

I learned something that would have saved me about 3 hours today. On my Rosso Corsa, Guzzidiag etc will not connect with the ECU unless the bike is in neutral or the sidestand is up or both. I'm surprised not to read about this in this thread or others. My transmission(gearbox) is off at the moment hence no neutral switch and the sidestand was down. I grounded the neutral switch wire after I ran out of other things to try and oboy! it finally connects. It may still take the rest of my life to understand how all this works.

Maybe this can help keep someone from pulling all their hair out. Or maybe it was obvious to everyone but me!

• Like 2

This makes perfect sense.  Guzzidiag can only see through the ECU if the Ignition Switch/Run Switch have power.

With the Ignition Switch *on*, the Run Switch gets power through the Sidestand Switch (with the sidestand up as if we are underway, in gear), or with the Neutral Switch grounded -> energizing the middle (#3) relay to power the Run Switch.

Either way, the Run Switch must be powered up and the Ignition Switch on.

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this rather good tutorial on tunerpro, courtesy of wildguzzi..... starts off with a Griso (5AM) but continues to 15M as fitted to the V11. 

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=73938.0

may be useful...... apologies if its been tagged before!

Maybe this can help keep someone from pulling all their hair out. Or maybe it was obvious to everyone but me!

Or maybe you are the first person in the whole world to connect GuzziDiag while the transmission is out of the bike...

• Like 2

Haha Scud! well what is a boy to do while waiting for the new bevel box to arrive?  :P:

I came across it while looking for a cheap and lazy way to build a new advance curve for my v10/15m combo.... I was looking at knock sensors but can't afford one after the recent mechanical expenditure. I do have the xdf/bin files for both Centauro and Daytona which I hope will be pretty close to correct, then its just advance it until no improvement and back it off a couple of degrees.The v11 ignition map is (unsurprisingly) quite different across the rev range compared to the v10, so it seems that should be the first table to amend before attempting the fuel mapping. I've also wired in the AFR meter so I'm ready to go when the 'box arrives. This Guzzidiag business is just a time vampire, but perhaps I'll get some time to join another hosting service so I can post lovely photos again. I'm watching doccs progress with interest.... :thumbsup:

Or maybe you are the first person in the whole world to connect GuzziDiag while the transmission is out of the bike...

But I got bored waiting for my parts!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had a problem trying to upload a map with IAW 15xWriter V0.26.  GuzziDiag and the IAW15xReader program both worked fine with my cables and my laptop (with Windows OS), but the upload program stopped running after loading about 60% of the code.  I tried it a number of times on two different ECUs.  Neither ECU worked after the incomplete uploads.

The fix that I stumbled across was to change the Flow Control setting on my laptops COM port.  The default flow control setting on my COM port was "None", I changed it to "Xon / Xoff" , then the upload worked on both ECUs. 

I don't know if this was some strange anomaly with my laptop and cables, or if this is the way the COM port was supposed to be configured when running the writer program.  Whatever it was this is what worked for me.  If anyone else here has this issue and wants to try my fix the menu path to COM flow control is:

Control Panel > Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT) > Communictaions Port (COM x) > Port Settings > Flow Control

• Like 1

Thanks for that. I had to learn the hard way about communications protocols with my cnc mill and computer back in the DOS days. One little thing wrong, and they won't talk to each other.. I probably wouldn't have thought to look with GuzziDiag, it's the 21st century, for heavinsake.  :oldgit:

A couple of dead ECUs would have had me upset.. :glare:

A couple of dead ECUs would have had me upset.. :glare:

I was less than thrilled Chuck.  Thankfully I had another one so my bike wasn't incapacitated.  I was pretty sure that I hadn't actually fried the ECUs so I knew if I couldn't figure it out I could find help here, over at WG, or as a last resort try to contact Beard.

I just re-re-re-read this entire thread looking for an answer to a question.

I am wanting to add fuel to my map around 3000rpm at 5 to 10 percent throttle to address a lean surge and backfire(through the intake)

If I understand correctly, the throttle position numbers across the top of the fuel map in Tunerpro represent degrees of throttle plate opening. What I don't get is how to correlate degrees with tps voltages since I have no way to measure degrees. I'm used to Powercommanders and the throttle position represented in percentages. I'm betting there is something really basic I am just missing.

I realize this would be easier with a datalogger but I'm not quite there yet.

Thanks

Hi Corey,

you have a PF3? Send me a PM and I'll send you a lookup table which contains TPS voltage and degree opening values.

Cheers

Meinolf

Hello Meinolf,

I tried sending you a PM twice but never heard back from you. Maybe it didn't get through?

Thanks

Edit:

Or on second thought, since I'm probably not the only one who can make use of the table, could you just post it here?