How to purchase a V11 Checklist

Goosed Again

I haven't seen this on the board and I'm not really sure where to start but I'm sure there are a few wizened souls here that can come up with a basic checklist of what a newbie should be concerned with when looking at used bikes. As I've read in multiple posts, there are quirks and upgrades that should be preformed. The list may be appropriate to certain models as well but just the same the more knowledge a person has when shopping the better armed they are for their final purchase.

If there is a purchase checklist already dedicated to the V11 please post the link.

#1. Start buy looking at 2003 and 2004 models. Lot less quirks to fix or deal with.

Spoken like a true 02' Guzzi owner. :) 

I agree. I've also heard tell of the front timing cover being cracked when people crash the V11's. 

If looking at 02 models such as the Tenni, Rosso Mandello, or Scura, beware the single plate clutch. Many say it is a nicer feeling clutch, but that they have a tendency to fail over the dual plate models. 

Only the Tenni, Rosso Mandello, and Scura were single plate that I know of.

All 02 Guzzi's had the flaking black engine paint. It's cosmetic only but a pain to re-finish. 

I believe the stock rear shock eye has cracked on the V11 Sport's before. The Ohlins models shouldn't do that, but they are more maintenance intensive/costly.

The bests models to own, IMO, are the Coppa Italia, Cafe Sport, Rosso Corsa, and Nero Corsa. They all have the updated paint, and Ohlins suspension setup. The only widespread issue I've seen on the 03-04 models are the ITI instrument clusters failing. The Veglia's on the earlier models seem more reliable, but do shake around a bit and aren't surgically accurate....

I'm sure there is more. It would be nice to have a list to go by. Maybe we should compile our knowledge from this post into a numbered checklist? (Most important to least).

Best thing to do is take it for a test ride. 

> Does it pull strong throughout the rev range and in all gears, like it could pull a house down ?

> Does it do this without stuttering and without producing smoke ?

> Is the gear change certain without hesitation and without being clunky ?

> Does it vibrate a little below 3000 rpm and then smooth out as you give it what for ?

> Is the handling surprisingly good, are the tyres lacking any sign of chicken strips ?

> Does it make you wonder why you ever bothered with jap 4s ?

> Is there a sound like a manic sewing machine coming from the rockers at tickover ?

> Does the clutch sound bloody terrible ?

> Do you come back from the test ride with a smile ? Is the person selling it quietly weeping ?

If the answer is yes to all of these, then it is probably a good one.