Thinking about a new helmet and may consider a flip-up model, but would like to know of any downsides to them.

I've always bought Shoei full face helmets before, but will consider anything of good quality, especially as the price of new helmets (Shoei / Arai) was quite eye watering!

Any advice....

Paul

I have both styles and like the flip front if you are trying to talk to someone w/o removing the helmet. I know this will be the most expensive route but go try them ALL before you buy.You can save $$$ buying online but you cannot try them on.  I thought I wanted an Arai until I tried it on. It just didn't fit as well as I wanted . Bought a Shoei instead . Buy what fits you and remember " how much is your head worth?" .

In my opinion the weight of the flip up modular helmets is their main disadvantage.

Some of them in the past also offered reduced frontal impact protection, no EPS in the chin bar. But I doubt that is still the case.

I agree, what fits you is key. A quality helmet, I prefer one that is SNELL rated, that fits your head is the main thing to look for. Sometimes the cool design or model you really wanted does not fit you right. A helmet that does not fit right is at the least worthless and at the most dangerous.

The thing I like about Arai is that they make different models with different shell shapes, so there is usually one that will fit you perfect. I have a fairly oval head and Shoei, as well as most others, tend to push in on the middle of my forehead leaving a mark after an hour or two. If you are more round headed then Shoei or most others may fit well. Oval headed people have fewer comfortable choices.

Tires and helmets are poor choices of things to skimp on.

Being a spectacle wearer I like Flip-up helmets,  I have not noticed any real difference in weight. Look at the locking mechanisms, some have plastic latches - probably wont last too long.  I have a cheap RS-V121, ACU approved, £100 including Bluetooth intercom.  I feel there is probably very little difference in the injuries you will receive in an accident if the helmet costs £100 or £500. Most of it is the price of fashion and exclusivity.

Best way to protect your head is to not crash.

After several Shoei and several Arai, I started using a Shoei Multi-tech last year. I really like the ability to flip it up to fuel, speak (listen), and generally get my kit around. I might ride just a short piece down the road with it up, but really don't feel so safe with my face out.

It is more noisy than the Arai, and a very little heavier. But I got tired of the stupid side plates breaking on the Arai.

Interesting comment about the side plates on the Arai's. I/we have owned quite a few Arai's over the years and only broke one side plate. But when we were getting a free replacement of said side plate the guy replacing it mentioned others with the issue and he was thinking it had to do with what they used to clean their shield. What did you use?

In all fairness, the tabs only broke off the Arai side plates after a few years. I abandoned using solvents (isopropyl alcohol) long ago in favor of a mild mixture of soap, water, and white vinegar. The alcohol tended to discolor the faceshield, yet the tabs only broke off the side plates attempting to remove them for a shield change or thorough cleaning.

I understand Arai's policy has been that that they will not build a modular helmet.

Thinking about a new helmet and may consider a flip-up model, but would like to know of any downsides to them.

I tried a flip-up some years ago & after about a week decided I'd never go back, unless required to do so [track day regs, for example.] Here's why: as an eyeglass wearer, I can put on/ take off a flip-front w/o having to remove the glasses: can't do that w/ any FF helmet [well, you could try but the helmet will remove them for you!..] :rolleyes:

Downsides: flip fronts are noisier than FF helmets; it's the extra seams that the air rushes over/leaks thru. They tend to be colder than a regular FF [no chin skirt], yet paradoxically, fog up worse [poorer airflow control.] So far, I have yet to find a modular that has decent shield control [ie, the smallest cracked position is too open, or positioned poorly so that you get an eyeful of cold air when you have to run w/ the shield cracked to prevent fogging.]

These are all just poor design problems that eventually, somebody w/ half a brain who actually wants to make a great helmet will overcome: most FF helmets have the same or similar shortcomings. The biggest stumbling block for the m/c helmet industry is each manufacturer keeps reinventing the wheel w/ proprietary shield fastening systems instead of all of them getting together & settling on a standard shield that everyone who wants to can use, so that face shields are a $10 item that you can afford to change monthly if you desired, instead of costing 1/4 the price of the entire lid!

Anyway, despite the extra weight and noise, for anyone who wears glasses or expects to transact w/ the rest of the world w/o having to take their helmet off every time they stop to buy gas/pick up a carton of milk/pay a toll, a modular is ab-fab. Wear ear plugs and carry a scarf for when it gets cold.

Bought my first Flip up 15yrs ago in Paris. werent available in UK then?

1st one was a Shark, Loved it but fit was dubious, moved to 1st Shoei Syncrotech, Heavy but fitted lovely!

moved on to KBC, cheap and good enough to buy 2 more after that!  Currently using a Caberg justissimo, nice lid but had to retrofit a pinlock antimist visor as Cabergs system was shit. have a Nolan in storage as got a real good deal. Def wouldnt have a full face again, love the convenience of a flip but do admit to riding open face :oldgit: on my other toy the R1200GS.

as for reccomendation? What fits well and is available at any given time. :2c:

The shoei neotec is the new kid on the block wrt to flip tops. It is apparently an improvement on the multitec, but the colours being offered are reaaaly boring. The other main contender is apparently the schuberth, which looks good but didn't fit my head at all, so try before you buy(a given with helmets anyway).

I'm due a replacement for my Arai, and I think it's going to be the new Arai quantum " blarney"(I kid you not).

Anything with a leprechaun on it must be worth it!

I recently shelled out for a Shark Evoline 3. I was a bit anxious at first as I have a huge melon and they only go up to XL. Three weeks later I'm rapt. It is comfortable, quiet, (Espicially with ear plugs in.) easy to use, has a secondary tinted visor inside the clear one and in Oz is the only flip-face helmet that it is legal to ride in with the chin piece up, not sure why though.

For the best part of a decade I've used HJC flip faces because they fit and were easy to use and robust compared to my earlier Shoei which fell to bits! The Evoline is something else. I think it may be the best helmet I've ever had.

BUT......... Of course this is very subjective and just because I think its the best thing since sliced bread doesn't mean it would work for anyone else. Buy something high quality that fits. This does not include a Pickelhoffen covered in cow fur! I saw one of them in Minneapolis in 2004 and still regret not buying it as an ornament. It really was spectacularly awful!

Pete