The other main contender is apparently the schuberth, which looks good but didn't fit my head at all, so try before you buy(a given with helmets anyway).

Schuberth really thinks highly of their product, as reflected in the prices tending to be quite beyond most folks' means, but they are the top of the line when it comes to FF helmets. They have a couple of different lines [none inexpensive], that use different lasts, ie: a Schuberth S1 =/= a Schuberth C1 [hope I remember the designations correctly.]  Anyway, if you're tempted to go that route, DEFINITELY go to a stocking dealer to try them on, since their sizes are smaller than anyone elses, iirc [i seem to remember a friend who normally took a L Shoei finding the Schuberth XXL a little tight.]

I recently retired my Nolan modular for a new Shoei Neotec. It fits my head shape better than the Nolan did, with more room between the chin bar and my...well, my chin. It's much quieter than any of my other modulars have been but is still louder than a regular full face. No bad whistles or buffeting though, and they've obviously put some time into making it as quiet as possible. Airflow is excellent, better than any other helmet I've had. Fogging is a non-issue with the pin-lock shield, and still not bad with it out. It does have a chin skirt that works well. The shield has enough resolution in the ratcheting mechanism to allow (to me) just the right amount of opening, which has always been an annoying problem on other helmets. Seems like I always wished for a half click up or down, and this one has it. The built in sun visor is well designed, and easy to use. It holds in place via friction instead of detents so it's easy to place where its needed. The only thing I don't love (and this is minor) is that it uses double d-rings instead of a ratchet type strap, and I'm always forgetting to tighten my chin strap before I put my gloves on. Clearly my problem though, and not the helmets.

The flip up action is much easier and intuitive than my Nolan was, which I always found f*&king annoying. In all, I love it. Wasn't cheap, but feels worth it. I'm hooked on the flip-ups though, just for the convenience of it all plus I ride with ear plugs anyway so the added noise is a non-issue. And though I shouldn't do it, I do ride around town with the face open when it's hot and wear sunglasses to protect me eyeballs.

I currently ride with an Akuma Phantom II full face. I liked it for the Transitions self tinting shield, low 3lb weight, and awesome carbon finish.

There is a new contender on the block now though... the Lazer Monaco Carbon!

lazer_monaco_dot_flipup_open.jpg

All of the features of my Akuma helmet... in a flip up helmet! I really want one for my next helmet.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/lazer-monaco/review.htm

I have several flip-up helmets and I won't ever even bother with regular FF helmet ever again.  The first one I bought- I was sold on it.  It was about many, many years ago when Schuberth came out with the 'BMW' helmet.  That was...mid '80's?.  I loved it and I don't wear glasses. In the meantime, I've had several models- some ok, most not as good.  My big gripe is that they can be noisy.  Now, I have a Shoei Neotech and I  agree with most of what felix42o states- it is comfortable (a bit tight on me, but I have a big head- the shape is good, though).    I don't use the sunglasses, but it's a neat addition.  The one point on which I differ is that I would like one more detent for the screen, really close to closed, but not quite.  And yeah, I dislike the D-rings.  I have a beard.  A long beard.  Beards and D-rings don't get along.  There's a widget you can by that replaces them, but damn, I shouldn't have to.  I like seat-belt closures.

Well i have the shoei neotec as well, good helmet, mine came with the ratchet/seat belt mechanism which is great for putting the helmet on/off. No D rings though !!! Maybe a US/Euro thing.

• 3 months later...

Was sucked into getting the Shark Evoline even though the Nolan is still under the bed?

Very impressed. We have had some unusually warm weather here NI, and the shark has been a gem through out.

It was initiall bought for 2wk tour of Europe as can be used with clear visor but without pulling chin bar forward. Nice touch in warm weather.

Bought my first modular a number of years ago when I was riding Harleys (yes, some do wear helmets). Loved it and didn't seem to have the noise, fit problems - HJC brand (made for Harley) Bought another modular HJC - in hi-viz green (almost matches my V11) and would highly recommend. The helmet was less than $300 US and has a workable sun visor, notched face shield and is very comfortable. One of the side latches broke and was fixed for no charge by the dealer. FWIW