Sensor leak?

rex007can

Getting the girl ready for a new riding season, I noticed what appears to be a small oil leak around one of the sensors on the top, left side of the engine.

I cleaned off the oil and dirt as much as I could and I was wondering. Which of the two components in the picture is more likely the cause? The oil pressure switch (circled), or that other sensor that I don't know what it does (squared)?

And what IS that part that I squared around anyways?

8610876366_5ba7a66916_b.jpg

PS: This is not a pic of my bike, I borrowed it to ask the question...

The item with the circle is the oil press. switch and it has an adapter for the manual gauge. The item within the rectangle is a crankshaft position sensor that needs a screw in the top portion of the sensor. It is capable of leaking too. You can use silicone sealer to reseal it.

Clean everything up with Brakekleen and dry it off. Sprinkle baby powder all over the suspect area. Start the bike and let it idle for a  few minutes. The leak should show up .

• Like 1

Indeed, the crank position sensor will leak. There is a 0-ring that is easy to replace and is likely hardened and flattened.  Mine continued to leak from the wire attachment and fixed with epoxy. ( Oil leak thread )   As noted, there should be two fasteners holding this sensor down.

Otherwise, the mechanical pressure sensor is not factory and, while factory devices come with their own caveats, it has several junctions prone to leaking. It is, after all, under pressure and the crank sensor is not.

Isn't there a gasket required for the CPS?I thought I replaced one in there when doing my overhaul this year,could be wrong,but I'll ck pics and paperwork,...

There is a shim which determines the pick up, but the sensor is sealed with an o-ring. Some smear a VERY thin layer os sealant on the shim, bu it should not be necessary with a good o-ring and might change the timing pick up.

Thanks all for the very good advice.

I'll take a look to see if the oring is bad, I think I have a bag-o-origns in the mancave that would have one that fits.

Then I'll try out that powder trick to make sure it's sealed...

very good.

Thanks.