V11S Side stand switch

moto fugazzi

My 2001 V11S doesn't always start in neutral with the side stand in the down position. If I lift the side stand off of the ground (but still down), it will start. I just replaced the switch with a brand new one, and same results. Any ideas?

Doesn't seem like pressure from the ground should cause an issue, as it should start regardless if the stand is up or down while in neutral...shouldn't it? 

Ken

My 2001 V11S doesn't always start in neutral with the side stand in the down position. If I lift the side stand off of the ground (but still down), it will start. I just replaced the switch with a brand new one, and same results. Any ideas?

Doesn't seem like pressure from the ground should cause an issue, as it should start regardless if the stand is up or down while in neutral...shouldn't it? 

Ken

My first thought is clutch switch, but it's late... :whistle:

The run circuit will get its current from two places. With the side stand up, it comes through the side stand switch. Sounds like yours is working ok.

With the stand down, running current must come from the neutral switch which energizes the middle relay (called the "sidestand relay", it is not energized by the sidestand switch, but the neutral switch on the left side of the gearbox under the starter motor).

Your trouble is likely the neutral switch, its connection, or the relay and /or its connections.

First, locate the rubber boot under the starter with only one wire. Pull it back, slide off the blade connector, clean it, tighten it, Deoxit, and maybe apply a thin coating of waterproofing grease. It should slip back on the switch with some resistance. Retest your starting with the stand down in neutral.

No joy? Carefully pull the middle relay straight up without twisting or wriggling (this could spread the connectors). Replace with a known good relay. OMRONs make me happy, but you could simply exchange it for another in the fuse block and retest.

EDIT: Also check the adjustment for the sidestand switch. It is a simple carriage head bolt with a lock nut. Make sure it completely depresses the switch button in the down position, but no more and no less.

First, locate the rubber boot under the starter with only one wire. Pull it back, slide off the blade connector, clean it, tighten it, Deoxit, and maybe apply a thin coating of waterproofing grease. It should slip back on the switch with some resistance. Retest your starting with the stand down in neutral.

Agree! This switch will be worn down by the time anyway. Usually the first sign is that the neutral light comes and goes for a periode, and then remains dead. The switch is inexpensive and easy to change. Just remember to lean the bike to the right while the switch is changed, to prevent gear oil from running out...

I do have a new starter, which I was going to change soon (was making a grinding noise occasionally last year, but hasn't done that since I changed the battery, so I've been procrastinating on that). I'll install a new neutral switch at that point as well as clean all connections.

I just replaced all of the relays with relays from Pyro Dan, and I cleaned and tightened all of those connectors at the same time. The PO had nice Bosch relays in there, which I now have as spares.

Just seems strange that the bike starts with the stand down, but off of the ground. It keeps running when I put the bike down on the stand. 

It will probably be a week or so before I get the neutral switch, and have time to replace it and change the starter.

Thanks for all of the info!

Ken

As I recall....

The side stand switch should be a normally closed switch. When the stand is up the switch is closed (the circuit is completed) and power flows around the safety relay.

When the stand is down the bolt pushes on the switch and the circuit is open, causing that relay to stop flowing power. Then it relies on the relay and the neutral switch to flow power.

Does the neutral light work? If it does then I would suspect either the relay or the connections to the relay for the neutral circuit. The bike should start with the stand up or down. The only difference is with the stand down the power has to come through the neutral circuit. When the stand it up the power flows through the stand switch.

As I recall....

The side stand switch should be a normally closed switch. When the stand is up the switch is closed (the circuit is completed) and power flows around the safety relay.

When the stand is down the bolt pushes on the switch and the circuit is open, causing that relay to stop flowing power. Then it relies on the relay and the neutral switch to flow power.

Does the neutral light work? If it does then I would suspect either the relay or the connections to the relay for the neutral circuit. The bike should start with the stand up or down. The only difference is with the stand down the power has to come through the neutral circuit. When the stand it up the power flows through the stand switch.

The neutral light is always on when it should be. I have replaced and swapped relays a few times now, with the same results. I will clean the relay contacts again later this week. Like I said, the confusing part is that the bike will start with the kick stand down, but not with weight on it. Maybe adjusting the side stand switch will fix the problem, but I think it's highly unlikely.

Ken

... the confusing part is that the bike will start with the kick stand down, but not with weight on it.

Ken, does it mean you SIT on it and it won't start?

If this is so, you might want to check the relays.

I suspect the seat is squeezed down on the relay sockets and deforming them.

-M-

...TAPAtalk via Samsung Galaxy Nexus...