Ninth South'n Spine Raid 2013

docc

So, we're leaving on Thursday, right?

Hey, you've been back from the Pacific Rim for more than two (or three) days now! You should have had enough high-gravity bier and single malt to reset your circadian rhythms. Otherwise, come by my place tomorrow pm: LowRyter should be here by then on his Meanie-Greenie and I suspect a full-on assault on everyone's circadianism!  :drink: 

Hey Docc, looks like I will finally be up in the area for an SSR.  I have tried every year but always had a conflict, this year I still had to wait too long to get a room but at least I got away. 

I'm picking up a new bike in Dahlonega tomorrow but bringing the Coppa along too and hope to get to meet and ride with all of you on Saturday.  I couldn't get into Tellico so staying in Murphy with the US Desmo guys but will plan to be at the Gap around 10:00 Saturday and ride out the day with you guys.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Too cool! I'm pretty sure both Mike and Joe will also be at "The Crossroads" so look for Mike's Ballabio. The SSR Contingent will roll in as an unmistakable Circus Act; low on fuel and looking for coffee . . . :grin:

It worries me though: you joined V11LeMans.com about a month after me, like ten years ago, and have made 60 posts. Looking forward to meeting you, but you're gonna have to slap me about every 9 minutes just to shut me up. I'm countin' on you there, buddy! :notworthy:

Indeed.

When I see that photo, and, especially, the (now-gone; sigh) Ballabio on the right with those gentle green peaks in the background, I am reminded of Karen Blixen's line in her memoir, Out of Africa: "I had a farm in Africa at the foot of the Ngong Hills..."

Lordy, sipping coffee in Cross Junction at 5:30 a.m.  That sort of musing means I need another cup!   :lol:

Going down to the garage in a few minutes to ensure the Griso's new tires have the correct PSI.  Then, to wake Kathi and finish packing her car.  Sadly, for various logistical reasons related to eldercare duties in Atlanta following the SSR, she'll be in the Fit, that C-130 of cars, not the dashing little Mini.

We plan to launch c. 9 a.m. (he says, dreaming of a reality not to be!).  Spending tonight in Grassy Creek, N.C. with friends, then Tellico tomorrow.  Anticipate touchdown c. 6 p.m.

See you all then.   :race:

Bill

Fueled, oil checked, new tires at correct pressures.

Kathi?  Uhm.  Not quite ready.  Actually, she is, but insists in that sweet -- but velvet-gloved, iron-fist way -- that I go down and spend some time on the torture devices in our exercise room (I call it our "GITMO room") before we go.  

"Bill, it'll be three or four days before you exercise again."  

She sees that as a problem; I see it as an opportunity. OTOH, her fervor has led to my dropping some of my geo-bachelor- acquired weight of the past two years while I was exiled to the steppes.

Oops.  Thread drift.  I'm just stalling. 

Anyway, here's the Griso a few minutes ago, primed for launch.

IMG_20130912_073508_290.jpg

Off to the treadmill ... see you all tomorrow.

Bill

I'll be sad when this rally is over,  really enjoying following this thread.

Somehow I always imagine riding in the USA to be so much more fun than our 70mph traffic jam on the local dual carriageway in the pouring rain with a police car not far behind and speed cameras in front. Fuel at £1.50 a litre.......

As with childhood done well, the SSR is never really over.  :race:

And, of course, you could come over for #10.  Flight and Tellico room are on you, but suspect that, lodging, beer, and BS before and after Raid likely available from many Guzzisti gratis.  We live about 70 minutes from Dulles.  Fly into there and you can stay with us and take your pick of Griso, Norge, or EV as a mount for SSR.  Ditto return.

Bill

Wish I could Bill, trouble is I am an aircraft engineer and it goes against the grain to pay to fly, I prefer it when they pay me. Only been to the States twice, once with Bell Helicopter at Fort Worth and once to Savannah with Gulfstream, both very enjoyable. 

No, just got to go the engineer training schools.  Did ride in a Bell 212 from the UK to Cairo once and had several trips in the HS125 biz-jet to Nigeria - the six months in Lagos took the shine off it though.

Pretty excited now. Wiped down the Sport, rechecked the routes on the ZUMO, and waiting for LowRyter's green Sport to rumble into the driveway! He's been on the road two days already. :notworthy:

First Spine Raid in while that I'm not figuring out what kind of sawdust to put in the reardrive to minimize that embarrassing drip. (Thanks, again, Andy!!) :thumbsup:

Expecting 8 or 9 bikes at the MarcyJo's in the morning headed east. Already, circumstances have conspired to kindle the unexpected. There will probably little connectivity until we return. Wish us all well and that the road will be kind to us all. :mg: