Ninth South'n Spine Raid 2013

docc

Funny.  No, wait a minute.  Not.   :whistle:

OBTW,  the weather outlook is disturbing.  Dry as a bone until ... yup.   :o

"Practiced" riding the Griso today.  Having it reshod with new rubber on Friday.  Seemed a shame to turn in with sidewalls left.  They are a bit thinner now.   :race:

Bill

On week out and just spoke with Walt at The Lodge at Tellico. There is a wedding party booked for Saturday night, but he thought there could be some cancellations from them. Friday night still has six rooms open and they can provide an extra (folding) bed or blow-up mattress for an extra person in one of our rooms for $10 per night.

Those of you thinking about coming probably ought to book a Friday night room and for Saturday either look for a cancellation or bunk with one of us. Our gaggle appears to have five rooms in various states of occupancy.

An alternative, a mile or so down the road, is Hunt's Lodge Motorcycle Camp which has air conditioned cabins as well.

Walt's wife, Anna, will put out a breakfast buffet 7:30-9:30 both Saturday and Sunday for about $8. It's always great!

For those simply dropping by, Friday typically sees us wandering about looking for a bottle opener after about 3 pm. Typically, we'll roll out for the Saturday NC loop about 9 am returning closer to 5. Sunday morning looks like rats from a sinking ship.

If we were a Real Biker Gang, we'd all be staying in Bill's room . . . :o

If we were a Real Biker Gang, we'd all be staying in Bill's room . . . :o

Noted.

That, Sir, will cost you a shot or two of a "better" bourbon.   ;)

Bill

Walt called from the lodge and said there is a cancellation and wanted us to have a shot at it. Give him a call if you're interested!

I'll make it easier for you.   :D

http://www.lodgeattellico.com/

Bill

Just a reminder for the West-Riding-East Contingent ( Team Pressure Drop) from Lower Middle Tennessee:

Gathering for breakfast at MarcyJo's Mealhouse four miles east of I-65 / exit 46 for breakfast, then pulling out somewhere around nine central time after breakfast. Did I mention breakfast? :food:

Bring a full tank. We'll roll 100 miles on backroads through McMinnville to re-fuel just before hitting TN Hwy 30 climbing to Spencer and through the Dry Fork Gulf (fantastic! :race: ) to regroup at the Fall Creek Falls entrance and then bypass Pikeville. (Pikeville makes my rear drive leak). :bbblll:

BBQ for lunch on the west side of Athens and Tn Hwy 39 on to Tellico Plains. Right at 200 miles.

Early enough arrival for those who would like to visit the Cherohala before sunset!

Four days out (plus or minus depending whether you've been to Tokyo recently) and if you haven't visited your spine lately  . . .

attachicon.gif DSCN0559.JPG

It's not too late!  :luigi:

That pic is scary.   :P

OTOH, my Griso just got some new shoes for the 'Raid.

IMG_20130906_082047_700.jpg

Kathi will drive down and I'l ride.  She is spending the next week doing eldercare chores with my mom in Atlanta; I'll spell her the next week.

While she MUCH prefers the Norge or even EV for longer jaunts, she says she (thinks she) can handle being a pillion on the Griso for Saturday's day ride ... so long as there is enough wine ... or margaritas ... or something suitable ... for the recovery event that evening.  I will ensure there is.   :D

WE are, btw, leaving Cross Junction (in the rain, I fret) on Thursday. RON with (Guzzi) friends in N.C. near West Jefferson, then plan to arrive at the lodge Friday afternoon c. 5 p.m.

Bill

Docc,there is a possibility that Joe and I may make it over to meet you guys at the Deals Gap store mid ride.I say possibility because my Crohn's Disease is rearing it's ugly head and I'm having to watch my rides of any distance.

In the event that we can make it,roughly what time will you be there?I'm not asking for an exact time,just a rough guess.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike, pm'd you on the "itinerary." Figure we'll roll into the store at The Gap 10:30-12 and hang out for about an hour before we ride NC 28 into Franklin for lunch at The Sunset. Then Wayah Rd, west over the ridge that holds the Nantahala Lake and past the power house to Robbinsville and back over the Cherohala.

Hope to see you guys!

My MG was in a similar state of disassembly a few days ago. I'm glad to say the problem was resolved and the shake down run went well. I'll be at MJ's Friday morning for the usual tasty breakfast.

Two "Unguzzisti" will join us this year: George (ST13) & Dennis (KawCon14).

Naturally, they will have to survive initiation rites and the up-down vote, but, based on my previous road experiences with them, they should fit right in.  Both always carry plenty of bail money.  

Bill

Last nights weather forecast looks like a winner for the weekend. This has been the hottest its been all summer but a nice break rolling in on Thursday evening. I have some family in town for a few days so I might not get down there on Friday evening but will meet up with you folks Saturday. Are you heading up 360 to 72 to get to 129? Patrols on the dragon have been pretty heavy, several motor officers and Blount Co. sheriff have had some speed (radar) traps at the end of the Dragon. (don't ask me how I know!)