May be selling my 2002 V11 LeMans

al_roethlisberger

Well, many of the old-timers may remember me from the early days of v11lemans.com

I was very active in those early years, and have popped back in from time to time. 

In 2002-2005 I had been very involved in this forum and the MG community, and really experenced great comraderie worldwide... such as when Jaap came over the USA for his tour of the country and we met him for dinner in SF.

But in 2006 we had another child, moved to NC (no riding buddies), got a new job, bought an old fixer-upper house, and priorities just changed... and the bike sat.

I still really love the bike and it still inspires me when I see it sitting the garage, and I still think about all the tinkering I have done and like to do, but it still has less than 5k miles on the clock (if I recall), where my last bike had over 80k when I sold it.  So clearly our priorities have changed, at least for this stage of life where any free time is dedicated to working on the house and our young family.

Plus, my oldest daughter just was accepted to UNC Chapel Hill :thumbsup:   ..... but now we have to find some creative ways to fund it.

So, one may be selling the bike. 

I have to be honest that I'm not really keen to do so, as I really have a lot of blood, sweat and smiles in that bike.  But I wouldn't put holding on to the opportunity of findng the time to ride again above my daughter's education. 

So my son and I will be getting it ship-shape in the next month or so, registered again, and put on the road and make that decision after a few rides.

The bike is started a few times a year, rolled out and cleaned, fluids change/checked, etc.... but it hasn't been actually ridden in at least 4ish years.  I know that is sacrilege :wacko:  ....but time just seems to fly with growing kids, house projects, etc.

Will let you know, but wanted to share.

For those less familiar with my bike, here is a quick but dated synopsis from a few years ago. 

http://www.pashnit.com/bikes/V11-Lemans.htm

Al

Re-reading the old Pashnit thread and seeing the photo of the bike in our old backyard in San Jose and all the tinkering and memories such as riding through Yosemite, Santa Cruz Mountains, Nevada.... I should probably modify my statement that I am just not "keen" to reflect that I will be approaching "heartbroken" to sell it   :unsure:

I suppose that makes me one of the Old Timers that knows Al :oldgit:

Let me be the first to say what a bad idea this is. Noble, sure, but - bad. Your college kid can do some simple work study hours that would benefit her esteem, pay tuition, and preserve the Guzzi for that Golden Later Time.

(Maybe the tall talk is easier with boys in college :blush: )

Best of luck to you, Al!

Hi Al,

I work at a Uni, and I concur with Docc.  The money you get from the V11 is nothing compared to what it pays for.  Sounds like you have a boy that might be interested in motorcycles?  At least mechanically proficient?  If you don't ride her, it might be a nice birthday present for him...keep it in the family and all.  I'm sorry, but that sentence doesn't come across properly when taken out of context.

On the other hand, I can't criticize you- I sold my V11 last year to a very nice fellow that has posted here once or twice.  My excuse is that I have too damn many other bikes.  

Good to see you back here! Although it's for a wrong reason  :whistle:  Agree with the two above speakers, don't do it. In a couple of years you'll regret it big time.
You'll find other ways to (partly) fund your daughter's education. Just put the bike on a stand, and do everything to keep it in immacculate state and in a few years you'll be riding the bike to your daughter's graduation!

Al....good luck on making the best decision for your family. Motorcycles come and go....

OTOH... Does that make me one of "the old Timers" I kinda resent that and will insist that you buy me a hamburger and fries the next time you visit Alice's.

Awe, never mind.... I'll treat! Joe

Al, you're adventure with this bike - as well as the many other "old dude's" was what got me into Guzzi's. It does seem a shame to sell - even in the midst of a Guzzi revival this "best example", won't dent school fees. Maybe the best logic to sell is that the project is complete and perfect. What is left to do? Anyone smart enough to be on this forum will appreciate the refinement of you bike and its attendant value. Best Wishes

Thanks everyone.... it's a tough decision to be sure.    Certainly if we have to make the sacrifice for our daughter, the decision is easy, but the bike would be missed.

We're still looking into options and not making any "rash" decisions!

My son did joke the other day that he could start riding it to high school!  :whistle:      I don't think his mother was too keen on that!  heh

And yes Joe, I would be happy to buy you and Mike a hamburger at Alices if we're ever back out that way again.

....remember when we briefly had our MG SF area meets there?

Al

Al

From reading the extensive list of mods you've made on the bike.  I, personally, would find it difficult to replicate them on another bike.  You've made your Guzzi fit you and your riding style. Looking back 4-5 years from now when said daughter is graduated, you may have realized that you didn't need to sell it.  I hope this makes sense. :2c:

Ron

Thanks everyone.... it's a tough decision to be sure.    Certainly if we have to make the sacrifice for our daughter, the decision is easy, but the bike would be missed.

We're still looking into options and not making any "rash" decisions!

Al

Sell the car, keep the bike. No, seriously! Had some friends who decided that they were better off renting a car [of whatever size was needed for the moment] & commuting to work on their bikes several years ago. They've never looked back...

Of course, this is very situation dependent: they've got an Enterprise just a couple blocks [ie: walking distance, even in the rain] from them, and they live/commute in west L.A., so the ability to lane share & ride 300+ days a year really makes it work for them.

In parting, I'd just like to remind  you of the old adage [a bit paraphrased ;-) ]:

"Bikes get you thru times of no money better than money gets you thru times of no bikes."

Ride on!

:bike: