All Guzzis go to heaven, right?

Kickeroo

so, do griso's have this problem at all either the need for a plate or the oil filter letting go?

hang on, dont think we have a reason yet as to why the damage on the previous page happened... and the filter lossening thing, never heard of it my self tho commish here, can some one tell us which modles the filters can come loose.. Im thinking its week wristed... ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I'll throw my take on the filter loosening thing. The V11 has a spin-on filter inside the sump. If you improperly install it, either miss removing the old gasket or don;t sufficiently tighten it, or use a cheap filter with substandard o-ring, the filter may come loose. Because the filter is inside the sump you likely wouldn't notice it is loose and leaking oil which allows oil to not go where it is needed. Thus you may end up riding around with a lack of oil pressure resulting in obvious problems in a plain bearing motor.

The CARC motors do not have the oil filter in the sump, at least my 2v Griso does not. If the filter started coming loose you would see oil dripping on the ground and would know something is wrong before things got out of hand.

The sump spacer issue, well the sump on the CARC motor appears a bit deeper, and they may have moved the oil pick up to a more suitable place. I am not sure about that one.

• 9 months later...

That's painful, man!  :unsure:

And I don't see another bike listed in your profile . . . 18 months with no bike could make a guy grumpy. :angry:

• 3 months later...

Ok, Guzzistas....I need professional knowledgeable assistance here.  The shop I chose, and the machine shop THEY chose, have tried unsuccessfully to order obtain, steal or manufacture the correct bushings/bearings/shims for my connecting rods and the subsequent crankshaft.  They have advised me to get a NEW crankshaft ($900..which I don't have) and the standard bearings/bushings/shims.  While logically, it would make sense (and extend the life of the bike), but on the surface of everything else, I have already PAID to have the crankshaft machined, AND paid for 4 shims which the machine shop and the bike shop say are wrong.  On top of that, they have "exhausted" their relationship with the two primary parts suppliers in the USA (Harper's and MGCycle).  I have asked them to allow me to do as much research as I can on the subject and locate the shims if I can.  I will have spec's by the week of 12/8/14, or so.

Can I enlist any help here?  This sounds like it should be solvable, right?

Plain bearings for the crank, while they should be available from Guzzi, are not something that has to be purchased from Guzzi. Any machine shop worth its salt should be able to make bearings for the crank. They should be able to, if nothing else, machine down larger bearing to the correct final size.

Is it just the big end bearings? What about the crank bearings the crank spins in or the small end bearings? They should all be doable, in my opinion. The one advantage of plain bearings is they are simple. Roller and ball bearings are harder as they come in set sizes and are not easy to alter said size.

• 4 weeks later...

Can I enlist any help here?  This sounds like it should be solvable, right?

IIRC, Clevite makes the plain bearing shells for just about every ICE that people want to go fast & last. Guzzi probably buys their bearing shells from them in the 1st place, or if not, from some supplier who advertises their product as "just as good as Clevite's." Why not go to the source & find out if they make a bearing shell that's going to fit your reground crank?

Best o' luck, & hoping it's going to be a happy 2015 for you!