Spine frame transmission mount

callison

How many V11 Sport and variants of that bike have the transmission mount point depicted as part #15 in the V11 Sports parts manual? My 2001 model sure doesn't have it, nor the frame attachment point for it. Is the parts manual drawing in error? Or has there been what amounts to a significant change in drivetrain support? And if so, have all of the cracked transmission cases been on the frame version without the middle engine support? Just curious.

frame_support.gif

Indeed, my shop manual shows that part as well. But it is not on the Sport. It appears the lower aspect of the bracket would bolt to the upper two fasteners for the junction of the gearbox and engine.

It certainly appears to be structurally well placed to support the point at which the gearbox looks prone to fracture.

I wants wun! Is there an actual part number?

Mea Culpa. That IS the drawing of the earlier spine frame. Ooops... No matter. The V11 Sport parts manual drawing (#20) shows it, but the shop manual drawing (pg 99 - maybe) does not. We know that there have been a number of frame changes since the inception of the V11 Sport. I was hoping someone with a 1999 or 2000 model would take a peak under the tank and see if there was one early on that might have been deleted at some point. As a matter of pure curiosity, I wonder if the extra mount would reduce the engine vibration that manifests itself in the handlebars. I'll know before too long I suppose, since my V11 Sport is getting a Sport 1100i frame, so I might as well use the mount point. I have to order that particular part though. First things first. Get the transmission case crack repaired.

Yes, the 2000 Sport has the frame bracket, but, no not the 'plate.' It does show in the parts drawing and the shop manual for the 2000-2001 sport and the parts drawing for the 1100 sport-i and Spot 1100 ( carb). (Carl, does your 1100 Sport have the plate??)

The plate is part number 01 20 28 30.

At the dealer today we could not find drawings for the Centauro or Daytona.

The frames for the 2002 and 2003 do not have the bracket at all. These are the more 'relaxed' frame and have the lower brace from the swingarm side plates the the engine case.

I ordered a plate . We'll see what now. I hope I can save the corner of my gearbox. Plus I am confident it will add the chassis rigidity to corner like an R1 :rolleyes: .

( BTW, my 2000 V11 Sport is a ninth digit "2")

Yes, the 2000 Sport has the frame bracket, but, no not the 'plate.'

Yep, I have a place on the spine frame to mount the transmission bracket in question, but no bracket. It would not be hard to make one of these brackets, it would be faster than ordering one from Guzzi. :thumbsup:

Mike

Carl, does your 1100 Sport have the plate??
Yes.

The Sport 1100i has an order of magnitude less vibration at the handlebars. We'll see soon enough is the added brace has any effect when it gets retrofitted to an early frame V11 Sport.

The frames for the 2002 and 2003 do not  have the bracket at all. These are the more 'relaxed' frame and have the lower brace from the smingarm side plates the the engine case.

I don't have the bracket mount point on my 2001, nor do I have the lower braces. No steering head fairing mount points either. That frame is dead though, twisted, bent and buckled, it will never see the street again. The "bastard" bike will be reborn again eventually. As what, I'm not certain.

( BTW, my 2000 V11 Sport is a ninth digit "2")

So much for that theory. Isn't this fun? :bier:

That picture is the V11 Sport introduction PR shot from a long time ago. I don't have the mounting lug for the forward transmission bracket shown in the photo and I don't have the fairing mount brackets on the steering head either (ALL of the other V11 Sports/LeMans I've looked at have those fairing mounts on the steering head). I suspect that my frame was an in interim model between the 2000-2001 V11 Sports and the LeMans. The vin is ZGUKRAKR21M113598. It is a USA only variant called the TT, that being a silver bike with a black tank and seat cover cowling to make it "special". All fifteen of them. MGNA has no clue as to why this bike has no fairing mount brackets either. Just that "things change".