Spine frame transmission mount

callison

Scroll to the top of this topic and look at the Sport 1100i spine illustration. Part #15 is a plate that bolts to the lug on the underside of the frame. That's the lug. In the PR photo, the transmission/plate is quite visible. No V11 Sports actually got the plate. Some early V11 Sports did have the spine mounting lug though.

Ah! You're saying your Sport doesn't have the frame 'lug.' I get it.

Apparently these lugs disappeared with the red frames. Your 'TT' has a black frame, yes? It is also the more relaxed geometry of the later bikes?

Your 'TT' has a black frame, yes?

Nope. Red.

It is also the more relaxed geometry of the later bikes?

Unknown, and with the buckle in it from the accident, I'll never know.

I concur that my 2000 V11S has the transmission lugs but no plate fitted. I also have the fairing mounts on the steering head (quite usefull for additional support for the Magni fairing ...)

Docc - how much is MG asking for that transmission support plate?

Gio

Well, that mount was at least on some of the earliest V11's- prototypes or production, I don't know. The plate is clearly visible in this jpg from the manual (with 6 speed tranny):

Does anyone have this plate off the bike? I would like to copy it and make one in my shop to fit up when I do the transmission recall fix.

Cheers,

Jason

carl, isn't this mounted on your sport1100i???

Well, yeah, but I'm not going to take that bike apart just to measure a plate. I have a plate coming from the U.K. along with the Sport 1100i rear seat frame because the V11 Sport is probably going to come back to life as a 6 speed Sport 1100i and not a V11 Sport. Hopefully, I can make it convert between either "species" without too much work if I want. Son of FrankenGuzzi...

on daytona rs there is no plate like this (it was only on the first daytonas) for the sport carbs/injection i don't remember.

the frame as 2 little plates weld on it and the gearbox use this plates to be fix on the frame.

I have one shipping from England this week. I'll scan it and get the dimensions posted when it gets here.

Thanks Carl! I'll put it in when I have the transmission recall work done.

Jason

on daytona rs there is no plate like this

This is getting weird. Originally, I was certain that all of the Sport 1100i era spine frames had the addtional support, but now you're telling me that the Daytona RS didn't. Obviously, the support eventually was deleted from the later era spine frames, so MG doesn't consider it necessary anymore. It just seems crazy that Daytona RS's and Sport 1100i's being built by hand on the same line would differ on this additional point. More likely, considering MG's lack of quality control at that time, some didn't get the plate. Whether they needed the support for the transmission may have been less of an issue than it might be now. The 5 speed case is very robust. I think I can speak from personal experience when I say that the 6 speed case is less so. When I took the transmission up to the dealer last week so it could be disassembled and the case crack heli-arced, two more cracks were noticed. These were likely the direct result of the accident. These would not be unexpected considering what the transmission case gets exposed to in the way of stress when the frame is tweaked. But the existing crack, which has had me smelling gearbox oil for nearly a year, probably occurs in a location where the case is not as strong as it should be. Hopefully, adding the additional of the support back into the driveline will diminish the likelhood of developing another crack. I also hope that the bracket tames some of the handlebar vibration as an added benefit. I'm months away from getting all of the parts back together. The completely different frame will probably negate the value of any comparison of old and new on my particular bike.

I may have missed this crucial point in all the going back and forth about which bikes had the plate, and those that didn't :unsure: ... but....

Quick question for clarification: On current V11 bikes, is there a lug/place to fasten this plate to the frame as a retrofit if one wanted to? Just wondering if it would be as easy as ordering the plate, and just bolting it on... :huh2:

al

...ahh, good... then that will be one less "mod" I'll be tempted to do :lol:

As an aside, my engine case job is still tentatively scheduled for Feb. I pretty much know what I'm getting added, but my jury is still out on whether to bother on the relatively pricey Carillo rods... but I need to decide soon to get everything ordered.

- Pistons $299 (10.5-ish:1 actual)

- Megacycle 620x9 $395 (would like to try the x10 as it is getting good reviews, but that requires new valve job to sink them a bit, and I don't want to do that again just for this)

- Requisite heavier springs, retainers, etc... $160

The only thing I'm going to wait on doing is the Ti pushrods, as I can do them myself later, and I can just see trying to educate the dealer on their special clearances, and the requirement to reset lash after about 30 miles "break in". It also saves me about $200 on this project.

Mike Rich says that in normal riding(versus 9/10s or racing situations) I probably wouldn't really notice the difference with the Carillos, and the stock rods are bullet-proof. So I dunno, getting them adds another $700-ish to the total(when taking engine rebalance into the equation).

al