My guzzi is totaled

Last week I hit a deer square on at 64 mph. Walked away with only a broken ankle... Somehow managed not to lay the bike down. But this was the bikes end, at least in my hands. Just saying there is one less v11 in the world tonight (this is where violins and sobbing begin). On the other hand the wire wheels and engine were untouched so keep an eye on eBay as they are sure to show up from the insurance breakers.

Glad you walked, er limped, away Dave... :)  If you've made any upgrades you may want to consider putting the stock parts back on. It typically won't make any difference to the money you receive.  A Power Commander for instance would be something that could easily be removed for your replacement V11 or sold to recoup some cash. Just an idea.

Ron  

Glad damage to you was minimal and sorry about the bike.  That is one of my greatest fears here in Virginia, where there are LOTS of deer.  I try to stay off the roads around dusk as they seem to begin moving around then.  On the positive side, You beat the odds!!!  Research says 89% of deer/motorcycle crashes end up with a deceased rider.

I would think the wire wheels would be worth a fair bit.

Not be be morbid, but....

I would like to hear more of the story, as while I have heard of and even experienced breaking a bone without laying it down I have not heard of totaling a bike without laying it down. That sounds like an interesting story.

Glad you have minimal damage and sorry about the bike. I feel a connection as a local even though we have not met.

Thanks for all the support! I am opting to take progressive's money on this. It wasn't an easy choice but their check will cover most of the loss and I just couldn't get excited about going through the entire process again. I must have been saving up my karma. The deer wrapped around the front of the bike, its head caving in the left side of the tank, its body came around the right and got everything on that side. The wobble that resulted cracked off both steering stops. After the impact I found myself looking at the pavement before me as to where my body would crumple... But it settled down and I looked up at the oncoming mailbox posts as I left the road. The front end didn't wash out and the bike was on asphalt again before another collision.

Thanks again to all of you and to my girlfriend who also rides and has been making extra tasty dinners.

My only wish is that moto guzzi would hurry up and come out with a v11 version of the v7 classic!

Sorry to hear about the bike Dave, after all that time and effort on a unique ride, but your'e in better shape than might have been. The big red deer we get in Scotland can total cars so think 'brick wall' for bikes: a friend wrote off his car on a stag (wrote off the stag too, mind) and spent 3 months in hospital so you may not feel it at the moment but as a biker you're lucky it didn't mess you up worse.

Condolences anyway, sad loss

Andy