My guzzi is totaled

I feel very lucky! This wasnt my 1st accedent but it is the only one where afterward I feel like death was narrowly avoided. The deer is extra dead to be sure. There is a 35' line of blood and a 150lb pile of venison at its end. My ankle broke trapped against the bike from the mass of the deer.

Their buy back offer was $2900. I know between the wheels and driveline it was worth more, but sometimes closure and forward movement are what matter. I will make another bike and continue to enjoy riding but perhaps one day I will stop and do something safe like bull bating or base jumping.

Oh, and I can't help but feel my bikes altered geometry helped in some small way;)

Wow, sorry to hear your story, glad to hear you'll live to ride another day. I've always heard, for insurance purposes, the deer hit you. Nice to hear Progressive comes through when needed though you never really want to make the call.

God speed on the recovery!

I know this doesn't help you now, but here's a little story from northern Minnesota.

My best friend hit a deer on his bike way up in the north woods. He came off, slid down the road on his ass and hands. Some road rash, but not to bad considering what might have been. The deer came apart in three pieces. The head, neck, front legs, and spine to the hip joint was one part. The entire gut sack, fully intact with organs still inside was #2, and the third was just the rear legs and hips. A Minn.State Trooper had come along, checked my friend out, and asked him to honestly answer one question. There would be no ticket, just be honest. Then he asked him if he was doing above 80 miles an hour. My friend answered,

"NO tickets if I tell you honest? I was doing probably 90-100 mph."

The cop said he knew, because below 80 or so, the crashes tend to hurt or kill both the rider and deer. His vast experience with this sort of accident had taught him that you stand a much better chance of living if you are above 80 mph since you tend to go through the deer more than just slamming it and going down.

So I figure, when you see those road rats, SPEED UP! :homer:

P.S. in all seriousness, glad you're ok, play up the pain to keep those tasty meals comin'! Also, base jumping tends to be way safer than motorcycles, I used to go jumping and people would see my bike and say, "I would never ride one of those, they are too dangerous!"

• Like 2
Oh, and I can't help but feel my bikes altered geometry helped in some small way;)

Hows that, as in what was altered?

He changed the steering head angle a while back....

Hows that, as in what was altered?

He changed the steering head angle a while back....

Yea, maybe if he had left it stock he could have missed the deer..... :glare:

Sorry to go there, but he mentioned it first.

Their buy back offer was $2900. 

wow that is way too high, I got mine back for $900. and they paid me over $4k for the bike, then never reported it as totaled so I still have clean title and insurance through different company.  replaced the clutch lever, bent the brake lever back in place, took off busted Swannee and luggage and she ran as good as new.. cosmetically it needed a new crash bar too. I had to heal up two busted ribs.

Sorry to hear about your prang. Freek'n deer!!!  They are a plague here on Vancouver Island. Glad you got away with min. damage.......hurts like hell, but will heal

(Deer got what he deserved)

Guzzi....R.I.P......but sounds like it served you well

Cheers and heal well

Van

Not unless the doctor isn't telling me everything. Maybe it is the lack of baffoonory or manic posturing; but (and it might sound corny) this is a community that I am happy to be part of (and I am not a joiner). I just bought a Monster 1100, but it was a close call between that or a v7 special. So I will continue to sip my beer and hang with all of you if it's all the same.

• Like 2