Engine Transplant: V11 to Daytona

Sam 84

Hi,

Anyone have an idea if I can install V11 Sport engine into Daytona 1000? Anybody have done that before? Is the engine's mountings position the same?

My old Daytona engine seems to be in dire needs of new parts - lots of them...been thinking might as well find an used engine.

In the cafe racer building fever!

There is a difference in the offset side to side. There is also a difference in the overall length, the V11 motor and trans is shorter (I think most if not all of that is in the trans). And I would use the 6 speed box of the V11 if you can. But it can be done. My question is Why? The V11 motor is not a bad lump but the Daytona motor is so much more appealing. If anything, I would want to go the other way but Daytona motors are hard to come by. A V11 frame and gearbox with a Daytona motor, now THAT is the makings of a bad ass cafe racer.

Thanks for the reply GuzziMoto...

Why? As you said, Daytona motors are hard to come by. Especially in my country, Malaysia where authorized dealer just come to shore. Older Guzzi model parts are near unheard of here. I have been searching abroad (UK) for Daytona/Centouro motors and parts as well but just want to know any alternative available to me. Cheers!

Fair enough. Gotta do what you gotta do.

But how bad is your Daytona motor? They are usually pretty stout.

To honest with you, I don't have a clue. Just bought the bike a few weeks ago - in unstarted engine and some bodyworks dissmentled condition. So yeah, I paid for it without even listen how it sounds. All the engine parts need to be replaced that I mentioned earlier are based on the previous owner's story. Hope its not worse than that! But with only 2 units Daytona RS known to be in Malaysia, I just have to take my chances. So basically I'm just prepare for the worst - engine transplant. Hope won't need it tho....

Attached a few pic for you..

guzzi.JPG

Thanks for the reply GuzziMoto...

C

Why? As you said, Daytona motors are hard to come by. Especially in my country, Malaysia where authorized dealer just come to shore. Older Guzzi model parts are near unheard of here. I have been searching abroad (UK) for Daytona/Centouro motors and parts as well but just want to know any alternative available to me. Cheers!

Guzzi-renew has most of a Centauro motor [same mill as your early Daytona, only w/ the cool anthracite engine paint[1] & milder cams] on eBay right now, iirc [That's the ebay name of Moto Guzzi Classics here in Long Beach, CA; a shop known world-wide as one of the good-uns.] Missing the NLA valve covers tho' & has some structural damage from the crash it was in, which is probably why it had no bids the 1st time I saw it. But it may have the droids, er, parts you're looking for...

There's also Reboot Guzzi Spares of the UK as well: have you tried them? Peter [not the same Pete as our Pete, but a good guy nonetheless] there never has the HiCam motors in the "new bikes for breaking" listed, so I've come to think he must always have them pre-sold: you'd have to get on the line w/ him & let him know you're looking so that the next time he gets one in, you can get a crack at it.

If you're only looking for specific pieces for your motor, why don't you tell us what they are? Network, my friend, network! It may be that we can turn up a line on the particular part(s) you're seeking thru a local contact who has more than they need?

[1] That was a really great engine coating, AFAICT: looked great and seemed durable [at least I've never heard of any complaints for it], so why did Guzzi give up on it?

Well, the motor will fit with no real problems...... but keep the original RS lump - you will be able to fix it eventually as parts are out there and it is arguably the best motor MG have built (no disrespect to the very fine V11 motor)...... then you can put the original back in and resurrect a rare bike. You could also try the Centauro Owners forum for parts. However, if you are wanting to break it, I'll have the heads and cams ;)

Thanks for the well needed list of reliable parts sources Skeeve. Will let you guys noticed if I encounters any stumps.

Well, the motor will fit with no real problems...... but keep the original RS lump - you will be able to fix it eventually as parts are out there and it is arguably the best motor MG have built (no disrespect to the very fine V11 motor)...... then you can put the original back in and resurrect a rare bike. You could also try the Centauro Owners forum for parts. However, if you are wanting to break it, I'll have the heads and cams ;)

Thanks Gritman. LOL, I'll keep that in mind...

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

How is your project? I would like to see the finished bike.

Hi helicopterjim,

Haven’t signed in for a long time (almost a year LOL). I hope you still interested to know my Daytona progress. Not a lot have come to pass since my last post. But most importantly after one year of waiting I have received a replacement engine last month :D . Well, more of a donor bike actually. Write it in point form, to shorts long story:-

1. After taking down the engine and tranny, found out they are in really bad condition.
  2. Start finding new/used/recond parts, bits and pieces thru Internet.
  3. Stumbled upon used Moto Guzzi Centauro 97’ in Moto Corsa Limited’s website.
  4. After hard thinking, went for the bike instead of accumulating parts by parts individually. Proved to be a lot cheaper.
  5. Contacted Mike of Moto Corsa, telling him my problem and what I needed.
  6. Suggesting to him that I will buy the road legal/worthy Centauro if he can break down the bike into pieces/parts (more on that later) and put them in a single crate ready to be shipped.
  7. Ask him to let all the fairings, gas tank and frame behind. Thought it can save the crate size since I was afraid of the expensive UK-Malaysia shipping cost that I have to bear. I don’t need those anyway.
  8. He agreed with no EXTRA charges for disassembling labor but asked £100 for the crate fabrication. I guess the parts I left behind will be Moto Corsa’s token for stripping the bike down for FOC.
  9. After nearly two months, Mike said the loaded crate ready for shipping.
  10. Was told the sea-freight shipping cost will be around £200! If only I knew, will definitely bring the whole parts here and pay Mike for breaking down the bike. LOL
  11. About two and a half month later, crate arrived at my home.
  12. Upon unscrewing the crate, found out that Moto Corsa did an excellent job disassembling, labeling, wrapping, and boxing all the parts.
  13. The engine was tied down to a wooden plate so I won’t rock.
  14. A lot of foams, bubbles and shredded paper were used to stack the parts neatly.
  15. With the running engine and tranny assured, just began the bodywork modification last week…..still a looooong way to go for the cafe looks :grin:

So why did I insist in breaking down the Centauro into parts and pieces? Well, in Malaysia any whole/complete vehicle imported into here will be taxed and levied dearly. Around 130% - 300%. And to make it harder, one have to obtain the hard-to-acquire AP (approved permit) from the government in order to collect those vehicle from ports. So by shipping it in parts, you will only be liable with around 10%-40% tax given the incomplete vehicle nature. And you don’t need the AP.

• Like 1