sp838

Gods willing, the front end swap is happening this Saturday! *knocking on wood, fingers crossed*

Removed all the crap off the front end (headlight, gauges, ignition switch, brake lines) and the master cylinder off the handle bars. Got the top clamp off and back on, just for practice, and also because tomorrow I will grind off the tabs for the steering lock as well as all the rust, and will patch paint everything that needs it, provided my paint guy finally mixes me up the color. Docc, the part number for my top triple clamp is 01.49.31.00, as shown in the last pic below. Apparently it's from a Sport 1100IE. 

Saturday is the big day. I will post a recap of my successes and failures, hopefully more of the former than the latter. Here are some high res pics:

IMG_8547.jpg

IMG_8548.jpg

IMG_8550.jpg

IMG_8554.jpg

IMG_8555.jpg

IMG_8556.jpg

IMG_8557.jpg

meanwhile, my machinist friend and motorcycle Guru has prepped the lower GSXR clamp (removed the GSXR steering stops, drilled and tapped holes to make new steering stops, removed the steering damper mount and all the casting flashings), and made some spacers in case we need them:

image.jpg

Thanks GuzziMoto. It should work out very well indeed. I followed your advice and put the 3mm shim underneath the bottom bearing and dust seal, it all lines up perfectly. I had Stig replace the internals with Ohlins 30mm NIX road and track cartridges, and new heavier springs. The Tokico 4 pot radial calipers should be a significant upgrade as well. Mounted the front rotors with titanium hardware. I cut off the damper mounting tab. Just need to figure out the steering stops. Lots of little details to sort out, like a longer clutch line. Starting to get a little anxious about the approaching good weather, I might miss a couple weeks early on but it will all be worth it in the end.

Sweet, very nice.

I wish I could justify the money on the Ohlins cartridges. Maybe next time. I have no doubt they are worth it.

I did drop the coin on a Brembo adjustable master from Todd at GuzziTech.

docc, I have the Tokico master that goes with the calipers. I looked into the piston diameters, and the brembo one that we have stock is very close. And the pistons in the Tokico calipers are actually a little smaller. So I'm going to try keeping the Brembo master for now, just because it works better with my kill switch and throttle setup. If it doesn't work, I'll use the Tokico master and then figure how to make it play nice with the neighbors.

• 1 month later...

will do. I remember you mentioning a bike in Arizona you thought I should check out, what was that again?