sp838

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That is an epic thread. I love it, very inspirational and it's good to know that I'm not alone with my insanity...

• 4 years later...

Hello @sp838, based on the conversation, it appears that you successfully completed the swap, great looking bike!

After reading the thread, I have decided to move forward with fitting a GSXR front end on my 2000 V11 sport. I am watching a few front ends on eBay. Do you have any suggestions before I purchase?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I can’t imagine needing more front brake than what the Brembos provide.

I had an experience last month on the interstate that has me agreeing. Heavy traffic, changing lanes to pass at 80 mph, car came into my lane and hit the brakes. A too quick grab of the brake locked up the front tire long enough for a loud screech. Scary but reassuring.

how's the foot Dave?

I had an experience last month on the interstate that has me agreeing. Heavy traffic, changing lanes to pass at 80 mph, car came into my lane and hit the brakes. A too quick grab of the brake locked up the front tire long enough for a loud screech. Scary but reassuring.

how's the foot Dave?

If anything I’d prefer ABS on the front.

Toe is much better. Nail is growing rapidly. The weather has deteriorated enough that it’s not the toe or regulator that’s preventing the riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You do understand you will need the ABS system with electronic system , wring and everything else to go ?

Purely wishful thinking. Too much work to make it happen.

how's the foot Dave?

Here is the thing, better brakes aren't just about more power. Better brakes can give you more control as well. A stiffer, firmer brake lever that gives you better control of how much brake you apply as well as offering more braking power can be a good thing.

On a side note, do you brake with one, two, three, or four, fingers?

how's the foot Dave?

Here is the thing, better brakes aren't just about more power. Better brakes can give you more control as well. A stiffer, firmer brake lever that gives you better control of how much brake you apply as well as offering more braking power can be a good thing.

I think the brakes on the V11 are excellent. The Sport is a bit more sensitive than my LM, which has short levers. I tend to use 2 fingers. In a rare panic brake, there's no time for analysis, just automatic grab a hand full. That's where abs shines. I'm glad V11's don't have it.

how's the foot Dave?

Four. I find l have less control with two.

Four. I find l have less control with two.

There is some compelling anatomy and neurophysiology to support this.  I realize that any of us can learn and practice a technique, like two finger braking, to good effect even though the action is "not natural." Otherwise, there would be no violin players in the world  . . . :grin:

Much of the anatomy of the gripping musculature of the hand ties the digits together such that the finger joints are all moved in relative unison. Isolating one or two fingers can introduce awkward inputs. Another example is the difficulty of keeping a solid shooting grip while only moving the trigger finger. This is more pronounced "curling" the first two fingers while keeping the "ring finger"/ "third" finger straight. Hold your hand out and try it in the air. That third finger naturally follows the other two;  a consequence of the anatomy.

Perhaps more so, our ability to control a movement, especially fine motor control as in braking, is refined by sensory input from myriad sensors in the joints, tendons, and musculature. This is known as "proprioception." This "sense" (that we cannot "feel") establishes our perception of placement and is dynamically interactive with the resulting intentional act (i.e. modulating the brake). Neurophysiologically, the more fingers (joint, tendon, and muscle sensors/ input), the more refined the "feel" or "control"/ output.

As always, "For Informational Purposes Only". YMMV, and No Fiddle Players Were Harmed in this presentation . . . :whistle::nerd:;)

• Like 2

good info Docc, as usual. thanks.

Probly shoulda said .. it's the 2 outboard fingers I tend to use most. the pinky and one next to it. weird, I know.

Not weird, but not intuitive, either. There is a lot of proprioception in the "lesser" fingers.

Ask the fiddle players . .