2004 cafe sport - what to watch for

xroads

so i have purchased my first new type guzzi.  i am well versed on tonti framed guzzis.  But know nothing about the v11 series, except for the fact that as soon as i saw my first one, i knew i had to get one.  what do i need to watch out for, redo, purchase or rebuild before it breaks?  any help appreciated.  i did purchase the workshop manual and since i'm over 65, lower pegs from a buell.  thanks in advance for the help.

Welcome xroads.Good to have another North Easterner in the fold.

Cafe Sports really are the best of all the nakeds.Most problems have been sorted.

Some have had problems with the clocks.Speedo gear stops working and condensation.

Pawl springs have been problematic among all years so good to have one if yours breaks.A $10 part but if you dont have one on hand you could wait weeks for one if out of stock.

Bullet connectors under tank are part of the side-stand circuit and occasionally get loose and bike won't run till crimped. 

I would check wheel bearings and engine mount bolts ASAP.Bearings have been known to be under-greased from factory leading to premature failure.

Some owners find it hard to grease the front nipple of the driveshaft ,so I would make SURE it is well lubed.

There's a long list of farkles and upgrades but these will get you started.

Also check this out,

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5691

Enjoy her, they're a sweet ride!

Pics please.

Michael

• 1 month later...

Well you might as well look under to see if oil is present at the tell tail hole at the front of your gearbox , that would be a shaft seal leaking and waiting to foul up your clutch operation. Front wheel bearings went out on mine too ,they are common bearings ; easy to find and replace so no big deal. Great bike though , my other bikes don't see nearly as much daylight.

Biggest problem could be that it doesn't have enough miles, so you'll have to get to work on that right away! :race:

Give her a good tune-up, keep your engine oil topped up, wear tires out.

(Just a gentle correction on the bullet connectors under the left side of the tank: they are for the clutch switch and may keep the starter from engaging if loose or corroded)