How to adjust suspension properly?

Unkept

Hey Guys,

I'm about to take a few trips with my wife as my passenger, and I ask for your help!

I don't have a buddy to help/much time to tinker with the suspension settings. Are there presets from the V11 manuals for certain weight riders/comfort levels? (i.e. Sport, Touring, Comfort)

With my passenger our weight will be around 280 pounds. We will have some luggage as well, so maybe 320 pounds total?

I have the Marzocchi forks up front, and the later Ohlins shock in the rear. 

If anybody can give me advice on adjusting these, and especially if you have the exactly settings (how to reset, how many clicks to go for our "touring two up" setup) it would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe

The first part of suspension adjustment is setting sag. That is done by turning the preload collar on the shock at the rear. I believe the Ohlins had a remote adjuster for that. Unless you have non-stock front forks adjusting preload at the front is something that requires taking the forks apart. 

Setting sag has been covered here and else where at great length. Mainly it is measuring how much the bike compresses the suspension from full extension both under its own weight and under the weight of the bike with rider(s and luggage). Typically you want around 10-15% of the suspension travel to compress under just the weight of the bike and 25-35% with the bike, rider(s), and gear.

When you add more spring preload typically you also want to add a little more rebound dampening. You may also want more compression dampening but that depends. You have to remember that adding preload does not make the spring stiffer(unless you have replaced it with a progressive spring) so if you need to add preload because the bike is carrying more weight then you also likely want to add compression dampening to help control that extra weight.

My suggestion, add enough rear preload so that the bike sit roughly the same level with the extra weight as it did without the extra weight. A good trick to do this is at night using the headlight to show you the attitude of the bike. Have the headlight shining against something like a wall or garage door. You want to be around 6'-10' away. Take note of where it is hitting, how high it is shining. Then add the extra weight. Then add preload so the headlight is shining at roughly the same height as before. Now add a couple clicks of compression and rebound (clockwise on the adjusters). Then ride. If the bike seems to wallow or feel pogo'y (bouncing up and down) add more clicks a couple at a time until it feels controlled.

• Like 1

Thanks GuzziMoto! 

My wife and I just got back from our 550 mile trip two-up for the first time ever. (I wonder how long most people's "first two up" trips are?  boozing.gif)

We survived! So the suspension setup must be OK right?  thumb.gif

The seat and the clip on bars are what really made the ride uncomfortable. I still can't feel my posterior!  grin.gif

I'll use your tips to get it honed down soon. For now we are going to rest before we take another long trip!

-Joe

That is funny, I guess it is a matter of preference but for my wife and I (she rides her own V11) the seat of the V11 is very comfy. In fact when I needed a seat for my Daytona so I could ride it long distances (that is an uncomfortable seat) I went with a V11 seat. It does not look like a seat that would be comfortable for a passenger however, but we don't typically ride with passengers.

I do agree about the clip ons, both her V11 and my Daytona have handle bars to replace the original clip ons. For the V11 it is fairly easy to swap to handle bars as there were V11's that came stock with handlebars. From there it is just a matter of finding the right set of bars.

We don't ride as much as we would like but we do ride out to Indy for the MotoGP race. Typically 1500 miles over one week with three days at the track. Maybe I'll see you there.