Just bought a 2003 V11 Sport and rode the 850km home

Hoggbert

Hello

After reading an article about the original v7 sport in a classic motorcycle magazine some years ago i've always wanted one.

I already own a '70 Norton Commando, great bike that it is, the reliability (or lack of) demands quite a lot of energy to keep it running, so i wasnt too convinced of getting another old bike that spends almost as much time in the garage as on the road.

When this popped up in the local used adverts i couldn't resist the retro style with (hopefully) modern reliability.

butikkbilde_zps386f5150.jpg

Took the plane down to Bergen, Norway and rode it home, a 850ish km trip on twisty turning roads (or cattle-paths if you prefer) along the Norwegian fjords. The first 250km was in constant rain, but it cleared up overnight. The rest of the trip was in excellent weather (by norwegian standards) and the Guzzi did not dissapoint at all  :thumbsup:

Here are some shots i took with my cellphone, didnt pack a proper camera sadly so you'll have to excuse some of the poor quality

Foto0026_zps36d6f9aa.jpg

Foto0029_zps2b5ad765.jpg

Foto0027_zpsa7f5ff7b.jpg

Foto0030_zpsbede0c3a.jpg

Foto0028_zpsc6bb3154.jpg

Not having been on a bike for little more than a year, the sitting position and just generally being on a bike again made the last 200km more of a masochistic experience than pleasure  :grin:

Is the vibrations in the handlebars something you'll get used to or should i prepare myself for numb hands in the biking season for the years to come? 

From the trip I've realized i need to start with some sort of fitness program so my body doesnt go into protest-mode after riding on longer trips (who would have thought that sitting in front of a computer all day everyday would impede my riding).

FWIW - when I went from a Harley Soft Tail to a 2001 V11 Sport, the riding position almost broke me! However, there is a company called Motobits that makes an excellent kit to relocate the pegs to a more "mature" position. And they work. If you search on the name you can find them - they are in the Seattle, Washington, US area. Enjoy your Sport

Welcome Hoggbert and congratulations on your new V11!  Those look like perfect roads for your new bike.  Too bad the weather didn't completely cooperate.

Handlebar vibes could be normal or they could be due to something else.  At what rpm are they bothering you?  You should generally try and keep rpms above 3000.  Your bike should be really smooth at 5k rpm.  Other possible cause are throttle bodies aren't balanced or some engine mounting bolts are loose.

I agree with guy that you should ride the bike a while before deciding if you really need to change anything.  If you do decide to change things the motobits kit that Vincez mentioned are very nice.  It's pretty easy to mount higher bars too.  There's plenty of info in the FAQ and in various threads here if you decide to go that route.

Best of luck with your new ride!

Handlebar vibes start to get noticable at around 3kish rpm and up towards 4-5k rpm. Its nothing to worry about on shorter trips, but my hands go numb after a couple of hours. Nothing i can't live with, although if there is a quick and/or easy fix to reduce them i'm all ears.

All in all it's a great bike from my perspective, great looks, good grunt in the engine and good handling. Though I'm somewhat tempted to modify is the silencers, the originals are a tad too quiet i think, wouldn't mind a bit more bassy rumble at lower rpm :grin:

• 1 month later...

Beautiful scenery ! I recently purchased a 2000 V11 Sport, and my body is learning new positions as I moved up from a Kawasaki Voyager XII. Love this bike ! (wish I still had my '75 850 Commando Roadster I bought new !)

Hoggbert, What a very nice V11! The hard luggage is super and will help you to ride more and further. If you love your Commando, this Guzzi should be wonderful for you. All of the good motor feeling with longer legs and (hopefully) much better reliability.

You should expect to do a little tuning and fiddling to get it just the way you want. Certainly a proper tune-up with careful throttle body balance smooths out much of the vibration. I found that bar-end mirrors in place of the stock (stalk?) mirrors helped my Sport. Consider adding the more open silencers before the tune-up - you will love the way they wake up the sound and feel of the motor!

From the details of your V11 Sport, I would think it is year model early 2000, or perhaps even 1999. I say this because of the color, the look of the reddish frame side plates, and the finning of the exhaust flanges (only used very early). You can confirm the actual model year by the 10th character in the VIN: X=1999; Y=2000; 1=2001; 2=2002; 3=2003.

Fantastic motorcycle! Keep sharing your experience!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking into a new set of silencers, Mistrals from http://www.stein-dinse.biz/. not quite sure what to get of carbon alu or titan. I noticed my crossover has Mistral stamped into it so i assume its the mistral x-over.

Will take the bike to some of the local tuning wizards after i get them, and let them look at the mapping and balancing.

You have a good eye for details, 10th letter of the framenumber is X so its a '99 not '03. Oh well, bike is nice anyway and isnt the earliest models the sharpest in the handling?

My latest investment was an Airhawk pillow which really changed the mileage of my ass  :grin:  Highly reccomended for anyone who gets that wooden feel after a few miles.

The vibrations in the handlebars are bit annoying, but staying at 5kish rpm makes the ride a whole lot smoother. So thanks for that tip  :thumbsup: 

Welcome Hoggbert. Lovely bike, lovely country, Been to Norway just once (to a wedding in Molde) and was knocked out by the scenery. Plan to go again in the not too distant future (as soon as I have saved up enough for a beer).  :thumbsup:

It seems like I remember reading the early (short frame) sports had worse handlebar vibration than the later models. Maybe some heavier bar end weights will help.

Aye, grip vibration was a complaint on the early V11. Perfect tuning and bar-end mirrors have been a solution for me.

The early V11 (1999-2001) does have "quicker" geometry (shorter wheelbase, steeper front rake/less trail). It certainly responds well to setting the suspension sag (which may require stiffer springs front and rear) as well as careful tire choice. They were delivered with very soft Pirelli Dragon Corsa tires and soft pressures.

Not always good to dance with a pretty, but heavy, girl on high heels!

Sweet bike, you are living the dream now! I'm deeply Norwegian myself..

don't know if you've heard of this Ethanol and I'm not sure if it's the cause but keep an eye on the gas tank, front right inside the tunnel around steering neck. they tend to swell or deform and rub against exposed tube section of frame, it rubs and can wear a hole right thru the plastic tank.

yes it probably has the quicker steering geometry, i didn't really like it when I rode my friends but could easily get to like it if I had a GREENIE! LOVE THAT COLOR.

your a lucky guy!