Preemptive Shift Return Spring and Pawl Arm Replacement

sp838

Hello All,

So, after reading through this site and others, and riding my bike and experiencing some weird shifting behavior such as missed up-shifts, difficulty shifting down into 1st gear out of neutral, neutral light not coming on when in neutral, and false neutrals (which may explain the light not coming on when I think it should) I've decided to open up the gear box to look around, and to preemptively replace the pawl arm ratchet (04235101), the selector spring (04238300), as well as the lever spring (04239200) and the push spring (04238200). I've got some Red Line gear oil, as well as moly additive, with which to replace the gearbox oil after I'm done.

I have the official service manual, which I find very unhelpful... The images are small and dark, and the accompanying instructions are an exercise in minimalism. I was hoping you guys could point me towards more explicit step by step instructions, which I'm sure exist somewhere on this site, but I'm having a hard time sorting through it all. What are specific things to look out for, are there any little tricks or tips I should keep in mind?

Also, will I be needing and specific proprietary Moto Guzzi service tools, or can this job be done entirely with standard tools? Thank you very much for your help, and sorry if this is a redundant post. If it is, I'd be happy to be redirected to the appropriate articles.

Thanks again,

-Simon

• Like 1

Yup,seems like you have it pretty well covered Simon.

You wont need any specific tools.A ball ended T-handled Hex wrench is helpful to remove a couple of the cover bolts as they're hard to access straight on.A few people myself included cut down an angled hex wrench to fit in there.I think it's a 5 or 6 mm,I'll confirm if someone else doesn't chime in.

Also  cir clip pliers

The procedure is,

Bike in Neutral

Get engine up to temp,Remove drain and filler bolts.Dump fluid

Remove Neg Lead from battery.then Pos(Careful as the ECU leads are a couple inches away,touch them and you could fry it!!)

Free Shock reservoir

Remove starter cover

Free leads from starter

Remove to bolts holding starter.Hold it when your about half way loose as it's heavy and you dont want to bolts carrying

the weight.

Free lead from Neutral indicator

Remove the 11 bolts/screws that hold on the cover in as much a star pattern as you can,it's not exactly symmetrical .It may take a few gentle wacks of a rubber mallet to free.Dont loose the rolled pin that sits on the edge of the cover.

The installation is the reverse order.I put Gray Gasket sealer on the inside edge of the cover,some owners done bother.

Michael

PS Im near New Paltz,and have a lift and tools if you can get it up here ,I can show you how to do it.Im also in the city this weekend working and off on Monday if you want help or some pointers,....

Sorry for the delayed reply, was away for the weekend, just now back in front of my glowing screen.

Thank you for the replies. It seems like there is much more information with regard to getting the gearbox cover off, than there is about actually replacing the springs. I looked though this thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16872

which goes over the process, but again, there isn't much detail about the actual shifter mechanism repair/service. Other than that crazy picture with the multicolored arrows all over it. Any more insight on that part of the job would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping it will be mostly self explanatory once the cover is off. The gearbox is in the correct neutral postion right now, so that's a good starting point...

Well then. Don't you all answer at once!

I got all my parts, the exploded diagrams, and the new fluids, and tonight's the night. If anyone has any more links, tips or things to look out for, specifically with regard to rebuilding the mechanism itself, now would be the time... And Fotoguzzi, I'll try to take pictures along the way.

Thanks again,

-S

others have more experience with this than I, but at least sweep the bottom of the gearbox for bits.  Use a quality sealant on the cover going back on clean the neutral switch while you're looking at it.

Otherwise, this should be really straight-forward. Best of luck!

Just about to attempt same have all the outside stuff off but how do i get the "FREEKIN" cover off,"Frustrated".

Thanks. Oh and mine is a 2002.

So after having a good look at the inside it appears the pawl spring isn't broken and it looks like the one in there is the upgraded one "IE" larger diameter which is a good thing as it looks like MG cycle sent me the old stock,"Not amused" which i will try to return.

So does anyone have any ideas as to what else might be going on with the shifter?

Thanks in advance.

I was never able to figure it out.But I was under the belief it would be something obvious,so when nothing was obvious I moved on to the more expensive and time consuming options. :homer:

If you can figure it out,you'll be in the hall of fame here.Since I got mine working with the new cover after almost 2 years and busy with life I haven't been able to examine the old cover as it sits on my bench.My intention is to send it to Charlie Cole and see if he can figure it out and maybe we could come up with a homemade fix.I'm not gonna be able to do that in the foreseeable future.If I get a chance next week I'll take a look again but dont hold your breath,got a ton of projects happening at once.

try putting the cover in a bench vise to hold it,put the shifter arm on the shifter shaft and observe the internals moving.Everything seems to be working?Got to be something from preventing the selector wheels from engaging or holding the selected gear,cleanly and perfectly.That's what I couldn't figure out but didn't spend too much time on it as mentioned above,...

Let us know what you find.

• 3 weeks later...

Symptoms: Missed gears, false neutrals, inconsistant lights, strange noises and poor 1st gear selection. Diagnosis: It's a Moto Guzzi. Outlook: Incurable. Prognosis: Call it character.    :mg:

"Missed gears, false neutrals, inconsistant lights, strange noises and poor 1st gear selection. Diagnosis: It's a Moto Guzzi"

Missed gears, false neutrals = happens sometimes...it's a Moto Guzzi

Strange noises = only the clutch when the handle is not squeezed and the motor is on idle...

Poor 1st gear selection = when the clutch handle is released a bit, then 1st gear engages...

Inconsistant lights = never experienced

• Like 1

Hello All,

So, after reading through this site and others, and riding my bike and experiencing some weird shifting behavior such as missed up-shifts, difficulty shifting down into 1st gear out of neutral, neutral light not coming on when in neutral, and false neutrals (which may explain the light not coming on when I think it should) I've decided to open up the gear box to look around, and to preemptively replace the pawl arm ratchet (04235101), the selector spring (04238300), as well as the lever spring (04239200) and the push spring (04238200). I've got some Red Line gear oil, as well as moly additive, with which to replace the gearbox oil after I'm done.

I got my parts today to do the same job your doing. I can't find it now but I think there was some confusion on the pawl arm ratchet. It seemed to be hit or miss ordering the old number as to whether you got the old pawl or the updated, smaller diameter one. Moto Guzzi has finally replaced the old part number (04235101) with a new part number (01235130) so that should avoid the confusion in the future. Now it's time to get it back together.

• 1 month later...

Hello Folks...

I'm pretty new to all this stuff... I did ask about a Fairing and month or so ago, and through this forum have sourced one...

Big problem for me now though... Riding to work this morning keeping my 2002 le mans at low revs I suddenly found that I could no longer change gear.

Clutch is fine , but there is very little movement in the gear changer, and not much spring in it, and it's now stuck in 3rd or 4th gear. 

Does this sound like the Pawl arm and selector spring as per what you guys are discussing????

If so... Is it an "engine out" job as i do not have a garage/work shop to play in...

H.E.L.P.....

Ta

Mitch