V11 Sport fitting Mistral Exhaust

ush1000

Hi Andy

I was in the same situation last year with my Ballabio which had some hesitation bertween 2-3k. Throttle bodies balanced/valve clearances checked & TPS setup then decided to go for the Stucchi Crossover & Mistral Ti cans from Gutsibits. The Stucchi was an abosolute pain to fit - turned out to be so bad I sent it back but Gutsibits were good enough to take it back and swop it for the Mistral crossover.

Runs perfectly on the stock map and really beefs up the midrange, and it sounds great.

Hope it works out

:mg:

Dan

Good to know Dan,

looking forward to fitting it when it arrive tomorrow. I just ran the bike this evening in the Garage to see if I could get the GuzziDiag software to work with the new leads (couldn't figure what the extra wires were for but that's another story). The clatter from the standard x-over box is unbelievable at the moment with that loose bit bouncing around inside :( but you seem to confirm that I may not need to mess with the ECU for now. :thumbsup:  

Andy

You may not need to mess with the ECU, but I would recommend setting the CO properly like my dealer did to mine. He set it at 4.0 (I think the factory setting is 2.0), and it should be something you can do yourself once they get the setting fixed on the Guzzidiag program. Paul is aware of this, and I'm told they'll be fixing it soon...

Anyway, you'll need to borrow a CO meter, or take the bike to a shop where they have one (auto shops have them as well), and set it properly with Guzzidiag. A good Guzzi dealer should be able to set this up in less than 20 minutes as long as they have the proper diagnostic tools (PADS or Axone) .

There's a good chance that you won't need to do the CO trim if your bike was set up properly to begin with, so my ramblings may be wasted here. You'll know when you take the bike for a ride.

All the best,

Ken

That's worth knowing about, thanks Ken.

I'll see how it runs with the Mistral fitted. I'm guessing that if the CO is set too low the bike may run too lean in parts of the range - is that right?

One of the guys at the club said to run the new setup for a few days to let things settle in before messing with the ECU, as it can adjust to the new setup. As I have no Lambda sensor on mine I can't quite see how that might work :huh2:

magic perhaps, but who am I to argue when it comes to ECUs - all magic as far as I'm concerned... :unsure:

There's a front moving over today so not the best riding weather for testing and it may take me a few days to get out on the road to do so.

Andy

Some US Sports came with the CO factory set as low as -27. Andy set mine to 0 (I think he was using VDSTS, and while the exhaust analyzer was attached, we just set to 0)

Talk about a difference one setting can make!

I'll see how it runs with the Mistral fitted. I'm guessing that if the CO is set too low the bike may run too lean in parts of the range - is that right?

One of the guys at the club said to run the new setup for a few days to let things settle in before messing with the ECU, as it can adjust to the new setup. As I have no Lambda sensor on mine I can't quite see how that might work :huh2:

magic perhaps, but who am I to argue when it comes to ECUs - all magic as far as I'm concerned... :unsure:

There's a front moving over today so not the best riding weather for testing and it may take me a few days to get out on the road to do so.

Andy

Yes, the CO being too low will cause the bike to run lean in certain areas. I'm sure you'll figure out if it's lean when you ride it for a few days-poping on decel, pinging at certain RPM's, etc. At least you'll be able to see what the CO is set at once you get Guzzidiag connected. I believe that section is found in the "view" tab. I hope Paul's guy gets it fixed soon so that we can adjust it, and just so you know, the bike operating temp needs to be at least 80 Celsius to make the adjustment. 

I would also think that you could bump up the CO setting a little at a time if the bike is running lean, and that could smooth it out some. docc has his set at 0, and the dealer set mine at +10. IIRC, increasing the CO also raised the idle, so we had to adjust the TPS and idle screws a bit to get the idle down again.

Ken 

Got the Mistral X-over delivered today and fitted in less than an hour: I've had far more trouble with bog standard exhausts in the past, so this was a revelation for after-market stuff.

It turned out dry this evening - not what was forecast at all - so I fired it up and took it out. First thing I noticed was that it required less choke lever than expected to get going and ran kind of lumpy and reluctant at first but when warmed up it settled in well. More vibes through the pegs and bars in general and a bit lumpy at lower revs (seems to me like it's running rich in that range even when warm), and a bit reluctant to pick up and transition to mid rev range, but a wonderful snarl and surge when I opened her up thereafter, clean all the way up. All this, mind, on a standard ECU map (as far as I know, anyway).

I'll give it a week or so, trying out in varied conditions and then try and get the GuzziDiag working see what it says.

Thanks for all the advice and comments about this product, guys.