Hey All,

I found a company called Caspers Electronics in Colorado that made me an inline TPS breakout harness with colors to match the Guzzi harness for $20! This harness uses one Delphi Metripack 3 wire female connector and one male mating connector of Caspers' own design (which Delphi never offered). Caspers sells the mating connector alone here:   http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&path=9_60&product_id=561

I know you can just back-probe the connector to measure the TPS voltage.  That is what I have done in the past, but I wanted something a little more secure that I could leave connected during a ride to try out some slight adjustments on the road.

The guy I dealt with was Dennis (dennis@casperselectronics.com).  He finished the harness within a few hours of my request and shipped it the next day.

If anyone else wants one of these, here is what I asked for:

"I am looking for a TPS breakout harness that is similar in concept to your part #108106, but uses the Metripack 150.2 pull to seat 3 way connector (the oval shaped one w/ the green seal, not the round one) and your mating connector (part # 410016). Can you give me a price for a harness like this?"

(the price was $19.95)

These are the wire colors of the Guzzi harness:

A - Violet

B - Yellow

C - Black/Violet

I didn't specify any wire lengths and he gave me about 20" of unterminated wire for the breakout part and about 2-3" between the connectors.  I terminated the breakout wires myself with some 2mm sockets for my multimeter leads.

Edit:  This harness is now a stocked part (#109172) at Caspers.  http://www.casperselectronics.com/cart/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=853

Dan

TPS breakout harness.jpg

TPS breakout harness 3.jpg

TPS breakout harness 2.jpg

TPS breakout harness 4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I decided to pin this, at least for now. It might move, later, to "How To."

The TPS is a key interface with the V11 state of tune and this is an excellent way to access, especially for the later models with the ECU connector facing down.

Thanks   danl  !

Hey Andy,

I can't imagine they'd refuse.  It's no extra effort for them.  Dennis seemed nice and was pretty responsive - can't hurt to ask.

Dan

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I am tired of struggling with pins in the connector, burning my knuckles on a hot engine, etc etc.

I worry repeated back-probing will damage the connector eventually.

I contacted Casper's and they offer the breakout harness as part of their catalog:

http://www.casperselectronics.com/store2/product_info.php?products_id=1621

This will make monitoring the TPS a LOT easier, which means I will be willing to do it more often. Kind of like having the right tools to grease the rear u-joints!

UPDATE:

This thing is really great. I had been fiddling around with the TPS and getting nowhere. The pin method was iffy at best. I couldn't get a smooth idle, even after doing valves, tightening up all boots, hoses etc etc.

With the breakout harness, I was able to easily hook up a multimeter and adjust the TPS EXACTLY at 150 mv when disconnected and closed. Then I screwed in the LH idle till it read 475 mv EXACTLY (to match my "modified stock" map per Todd @ Guzzitech).

Hit the starter and BAM, smooth idle. Now it runs like it should.

I never thought that ultra tiny variations in millivolts would make such a big difference. They do. With this harness you can get it really right.

If you have fallen down a rabbit hole of TPS, idle, and running issues, get the TPS right first using this harness.

P.S. While fiddling around, remove the headlight relay to save the battery. Don't ask.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I like the idea too.  Tried to order from the UK and the price with postage was over $65. The postage charge was going to be $43.50.  Don't know why it is so expensive for a small item.  I've had parts from the US before and I can't recall such a high charge for postage. I think I'll be sticking with safety pins for now.

Simon

• 7 months later...

Writing this guy to see if would like to stock the correct ECU to PC cables for GuzziDiag. One stop shopping rules.

I doubt they stock the TPS harness, rather, they just make them up to order.  It is about a ten minute job for a proficient tech and you needn't waste storage space on something that you may sell two or three of per year.

That said, I would order one, I have GuzziDiag on my list of things to attempt.