2000 V11 Wiring Harness

moto fugazzi

Hi Ken,

There's no such thing as a 2000 LeMans in the USA.  They came out in '02. 

I believe the 2000 V11 Sport harness is the same as the 2001 but I would have a dealer check the part numbers to be sure.

I saw the ebay postings for the parts of this bike. Did it really have 2400 miles on it when it was taken apart? If the miles are really that low, I'd be tempted to bid on some of the larger parts.

Spot the difference?

v11                          electrical gu01747160  injection gu01725890

99-01 sport               electrical gu01747130  injection gu01725830

01-02 lm naked        electrical gu01747160  injection gu01725830

cat' 03                      electrical gu01747191  injection gu01725875

cafe ballabio 03-05  electrical gu01747191  injection gu01725875 / gu01725891

v11

303033303046.gif303033303045.gif

99-01 sport

303036313010.gif303036313038.gif

01-02 lm naked

303033313012.gif303033313041.gif

cat' 03

303036303049.gif303036303048.gif

cafe ballabio 03-05

303036383045.gif303036383044.gif

images and part numbers from stein dinse online parts catalogue  http://www.stein-dinse.biz/eliste/index.php

Spot the difference?

That was cruel. I had to make an extra pot of coffee to keep looking. :grin:

(Dave's 2000 harness is correct for the 2001. Unfortunate that someone is breaking it that doesn't know anything about it. For example, you can bid on half of a drive shaft  :whistle:  )

The ecu is mounted connector up on the early bikes (like mine) and so the harness length is different there.  I just noticed that recently in another thread about Power Commander mounting.  Anyone know why?  Did this change coincide with the more shell like tail section?

Not sure why the factory flipped it over (in '02, yeah?). Certainly some early seats ('99-'01) smashed down on the connector wiring.

What do you mean by the "more shell like tail section?"

Sorry, that wasn't the best description.  The tail on my 2000 looks like the part seen below, where the sides are a complete volume.  They are hollow, and if you put small parts in the storage compartment they can slide forward into the sides.

I noticed in this post:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=967&hl=pciii

that the tail on later bikes seems to be just the outer surface.  Also, the cover on the underside now attaches to brackets on the subframe rather than directly to the tail.

V11 early tail 1.JPG

V11 early tail 2.jpg

That wasn't a bad description at all. I've never noticed the change in the tail section, apparently also in '02. It must have a different part number.

My 2000 compartment has a soft vinyl fabric liner which encloses the compartment, so I've not ever noticed pieces could escape into the hollow.

Learn something here everyday!

EDIT: The only part number I have is the 2002 tail: 01 57 31 60. The Stein-Dinse diagrams show that the 99-01 tail differs, but I can't seem to bring up a part number for it or the bag-like insert.

I believe that is correct. The Rosso Mandello was the only other model in those years (2001), but is only different in the body parts and paint finishes AFAIK.

The wiring should work for you, but I see the relays are sold separately. I do suppose both the electrical harness and the ignition harness are included, but not the coils and plug wires (separated).

It seems there are various other connections and components separated. I noticed the sidestand wiring separate. Worth scrolling through the sellers other postings to see what might have been separated.

Currently, I might only need the main harness and various parts, I think. Sometimes my bike won't start, and I found out if I turn the handlebars to the right a little, it will start. I'm assuming there's a break in the wire at the steering neck, but it could be almost anywhere. 95% of the time it starts fine with the handlebars all the way to the left, but sometimes it doesn't. Hard to pinpoint the problem when it's not consistent. This weekend, I'll check the connection to the starter switch on the handlebar. I'd rather not have to replace the entire harness, or scab in one broken wire. I figure if one wire is bad at the steering neck, the others are probably soon to follow. They sure take a lot of flexing over the years.

Ken

Ken, you're in luck as that is a common problem with an easy fix. You probably don't need a wiring harness and even if you did, it could have the same problem.

Under the tank on the left side of the frame just behind the steering head are two bullet connectors that harness the clutch switch. The starter will not engage unless the clutch is disengaged. Those connectors are notorious for corroding and loosening up. Once accessed, clean them (Caig De-oxit is amazing), tighten them, and seal them either with some dielectric grease (or Vaseline) or heat shrink tubing (I use both).

Make sure the clutch micro switch is clean and makes an audible little *click* when the lever is pulled.

Keep us posted!

• 2 weeks later...