i was 50 last Saturday an received a 25 year old Glenlivet -  1974 Strathavon. Never seen it before and never will again as my mates drunk the bloody lot ! Gits.

:homer:  :homer:  :homer:  :homer:  :notworthy:  ohh man.... hey a cobber has a 15yr glenlivit and I sampled a dram last week end, holly farking ell... god damn necter

They actually allow you to have alcohol .....?

funny you should say that... ya not the first  :race:

• Like 1

i was 50 last Saturday an received a 25 year old Glenlivet -  1974 Strathavon. Never seen it before and never will again as my mates drunk the bloody lot ! Gits.

Happy half-C Grae. Some mates eh? That stuff's seriously costly... they owe you big time.

Some sweet lass thought it would be nice to hand off a bit of scotch for me to enjoy. She knew I liked Islay whisky, but couldn't locate a proper Laphroaig.

The label of the (somewhat generic) bottle declared Islay is pronounced "eye-la." Really? We Americans would be inclined to say "  eye'-lay  "

Then, it occurs to me that I really have no way to know how to properly say "Lagavulin" let alone "Laphroaig."

Apologies, Heli-Jim  for the segue - we'll all have a mmmmmmmm-beer and see where this goes, eh? ;)  (currently in hand: Killian's Irish Stout, brewed in Colorado, under license from South Africa. :o )

I believe it's pronounced La-froyg'. I still I have a bottle of Bunnahabhain, another Islay whiskey, quite different in character from other Islay (yes Eye-lah) whiskies, but still truly delicious... It took me several months to find out it's pronounced roughly Boo-na-ha-venn' (stress on the last syllable), and I'm stil not sure... Happy to share a dram if you're over this way.

We're blessed with some fabulous drinks in these isles but as ever the spelling's a pig... Try this, may come in handy:

http://scotchaddict.com/how-to-pronounce-scotch-whisky-names.html

That's it! Perfect. I got a pretty good score overall. But "slainte" I had all wrong. "slan-juh?" And still a bit vague on the meaning . . . :huh2:

EDIT: if I'm to be drawn into Wikipedia, it means the roughly the same as "gesundheit" which I don't think I've ever hollered before taking a hearty swig . . .

EDIT again: Until now: gesundheit! :drink:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Stumbled across this recently. 7.1% alcohol. My tongue went numb. Imported from the States (MA). Not a session beer !

Possibly you're familiar with the Welsh artist, Ralph Steadman who does all the illustrations for Flying Dog brewery... Good stuff try the french farmhouse ale. I forget the name but it's tasty.

Stumbled across this recently. 7.1% alcohol. My tongue went numb. Imported from the States (MA). Not a session beer !

Possibly you're familiar with the Welsh artist, Ralph Steadman who does all the illustrations for Flying Dog brewery... Good stuff try the french farmhouse ale. I forget the name but it's tasty.

I have a Ralph Steadman poster on my wall ! Welsh ? English surely. He was born in Liverpool.