Transmission Spring

wildbill

Well, the infamous tranny spring on my Le Mans has now failed for the second time in a little over a month - to say I'm disappointed is really an understatement. I've gotten to the point where I have very little faith in the bike. (Thanks in advance Hank, but I was told if I use your spring any subsequent problems would be my responsibility, so no Thanks...) I've ridden BMW's for 20+ years and they stranded me one single time in all those years, now I've been stranded twice in one season... plus there's been other problems. Time to start figuring out how much more it will take until I can access help under my state's Lemon Law... and it's a shame cuz I really like the bike when it's running... :angry::(

Who told you that. MGNA is aware that I use my own spring and don't seem to care. If I hadn't used my own spring they would have had to refund my money for the bike by now under the Oklahoma lemon law. Matter of fact I plan to do my own warrenty work from now on and I have at least 2 dealers that are going to work with me on warrenty parts, with MGNA's unofficial blessing. Having been a former dealer and Moto Guzzi Battle of the Twins tuner they figure I am more qualified than most dealers. By the way the spring is not very difficult to change.

Hank Blackstock

http://www.corywest.com/daytona86.jpg

Thanks for the quick reply Hank, I didn't mean to be dismissive of your solution. My dealer told me that I would be on my own if I didn't use stock parts, but there's no way he could have checked with MGNA as his reply was immediate. I understand from my shop's mechanic that it's not a tough fix, but the fact that it's even an issue on a new bike is what disturbs me. I've ridden "old" bikes for years so I was looking forward to a few years without worry, although I realize that any brand can be a source of headaches (but man my old airhead Bimmers were sure rock-solid). The really annoying part is now I question whether the Le Mans will be reliable on the typical 4-day multi-state ride. If not, I'd just assume the Lemon Law worked it's magic so I could direct the cash to a bike that I trust. Maybe I'm just bummed and will look at it differently in the morning. I hope so. :unsure:

I understand. I still have some issues with my bike, but I am going to tough it out for now. I like the handling so much better than the BMW R1100s which would be my only other choice.

Hank

Guest rocket3

Bonjour,

My Le Mans bought during july is now 3900 kms, and broke two springs !!

This afternoon I was at Guzzi's dealer to pick up my Le Mans after second spring changing. I asked to the dealer to buy myself 2 or 3 springs to change in the future.

The dealer reply it is not necessary, Moto-Guzzi Italia know now the problem and just say him yesterday:

The springs are made with good quality level. The problem come from the steel base receiving the spring.

They will change this base by another made of aluminium, and when the part receiving the spring will be available, they call me to change it, under warranty of course.

Hervé PHILIPPE from FRANCE (sorry, my english is very basic)

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought a 2002 LeMans and expect to eventually have this spring break, so I'm trying to learn more about what causes the problem and what MG is doing about it. With that said, has anyone heard more about what Herve said (i.e., spring isn't the problem, and MG changing the steel base to aluminium)? I find it hard to believe that the spring will break simply because of what metal the base is made of, and that MG hasn't issued either a bulletin or a recall by now. (When I bought my bike last week, dealer said that there were no bulletins, so nothing needed fixing during delivery prep.)

Guest Marcel

Hi,

for the Rosso Mandello they said that the bikes underwent a rigorous quality control. Are those transmission problems to be expected on a Rosso Mandello and/or Scura as well?

Guest jimjib

my scura spring broke at 600 miles. My dealer in tucson modifyed the broken one and also changed the way it was attached. I dont know exactly what he did but I now have almost 10,000 miles on the once broken spring and no more problems.

It might be temping fate to ask but could somebody give me a brief description of how to replace this spring if it fails as I would be doing the work myself, does the engine have to come out?etc. I will be getting the official manual so just an overview would be great.

cheers.

To change the spring you remove the starter and shock remote reservoir to access a plate on the side of the transmission.

Remove the shift linkage and then the plate. The whole shifting mechansism comes out with the plate. You will need some snap ring pliers to dissassemble it. The only difficult part is making sure the transmission and shifting mechanisim are in the same gear when you put it back together so the shifting forks line up properly.

Hank

Guest Ragin' Pit Bull

I've just dropped off my Le Mans today for the suspected spring. Hopefully the new one that comes from Guzzi is the newer one. It took 8,500 miles to break. :doh:

• 3 weeks later...

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the problem that you experience with a broken spring? I just finished starting a new topic about my shifter sticking, and I'm wondering if it's related to this broken spring problem.... :huh: