brake pads

docc

My rear pads were getting quite thin (again) after 12,237 miles. I think having cleaned the pistons well and bled the caliper off the bike (nipple at the top) gave me a little more life. I'll certainly plan a good bleed and clean upon this install.

So, I got these pads pretty cheap (ten bucks) form an alternate source (Amazon) that didn't specify the manufacturer. Upon arriving, I see they are Volar (Motorsport). I haven't tried to fit them yet, but they look proper enough.

Anyone with any experience on this mfg/distributor? I suspect I know where thy are made, but there are no markings.

• Like 1

Looks like the pads will be fine. They fit without binding and seem to have bedded in on today's hundred mile ride.

The support pin was, as expected, dirty and gritty and rough. I cleaned it up with some 1500 grit paper and applied a very thin layer of silicon grease.

Watching piston movement, the inboard piston didn't move at all. After cycling the pistons and spraying brake cleaner numerous times, they were moving evenly again.

Bled the caliper with the nipple up and good for another 10,000+ miles!

Don't neglect freeing up your pistons when you change pads, bleed, or otherwise service your brakes - front or rear! :luigi:

The Amazon listing said Kevlar, but there look like flecks of copper in the material. Not really sure what I have - the packaging was devoid of any info save the "Volar" backing and part number(s).

• 3 months later...

After just 3700 miles, these 'affordable' pads look pretty thin to me. I'm not convinced they'll make it to the next tire change, even with my short intervals. That said, even fresh pads always look suspiciously thin.

Ordered some EBC HH from MG Cycle. I suppose I'll keep the 'cheapies'  for "back-up."

My experience with Volar wasn't a good one. The o-ring chain for my VFR 800 lasted like  3,500 mi. and it should have been replaced after 2,500. I was extremely meticulous about cleaning and lubing too.

Not that anyone is looking at replacing there chain on a V11...... But the brand sucks.

I figured for $10 they were worth a shot. The EBC will be four times that with the shipping and I know they won't last four times as long.

Still, even after a careful cleaning and piston check, all the pad material had the inboard piston sticking again already.

One of those "you get what you pay for" things, yeah?

One of the morals is  "you can't ignore the piston movement on the rear brake." It won't take long and one piston (likely the inboard, or right) will start to hang and the wear on the opposite pad is accelerated.

I normally agree with statements like "for $10 they were worth a shot". But not when it comes to brakes. Certain things, like brakes and tires, it does not pay to skimp on.

Out of curiosity, do you know where they were made?

The market is currently flooded with cheap Chinese made brake pads, often several brands are really the same Chinese pads. They change the labeling but not the pads.

I can't see trying something like that, even if they were free. Bike parts and body parts are always expensive, no matter how cheap the brake pads were.

There was no labeling on the pads or packaging except for the logo. I'll do some thickness measurements to see how much pad has really been used. I typically change the rear pads every 10-12,000 miles.

I think brake pads are similar to parachutes..... What is a good price to pay ?

Performance Friction is the best brake pad I have found for automotive brake pads . I am going to buy them to fit my bikes if they wear out before I do .

So, the friction material thickness on the new EBC HH is about 4.5 mm. The remaining material thickness on the Volar is 2mm (at 3,700 miles).

I'm just going to throw all this data out and let the chips fall. I'm as hard on brakes as I am on tires, so "YMMV."

This is my ninth set of rear pads: mostly Brembo, but also EBC and Galfer. The Brembo have always given me the best service, but I was really hard on the last EBC experimenting with "trail braking" using the rear brake. Conclusion there: bad idea.

Average service life - 10,553 miles/ 17000 Km (eight pad sets).

The EBC instructions say to replace the pads when they are "2mm or one eighth inch" but 1/8" is 3.2 mm and the new pads are only 4.5mm. I'd be replacing pads every 5,000 miles!

Looks like these Volar would go another 1500-1800 miles for me, but not to the next tire change, so I'll mount the EBC/HH. I really don't like how aggressive they are for the rear brake and would prefer the Brembo pads or, perhaps a GG compound.

DSCN0824.JPG

Docc-  you can use both the front & rear brake when trail braking.  typically you use the front brake the most. 

HA, yeah - after you guys blew by me on the Cherohala I noticed there wasn't any braking going on at all!

when you get really aggressive or do a track day, you'll trail brake.  This is basically hitting the brakes hard in a straight line but keeping light pressure on to the apex of the corner until you hit the gas.  Use both brakes to do it to keep the bikes stable. 

The Cherohala is a real wide open road that can be taken extremely fast before you need trail braking.  Perhaps something like the Dragon would be a little better example?

BTW- I'd really like to do this Spine Frame Raid again.  Is there any chance that some of us would like to get there midweek?  Say Wednesday night, so we can ride with less traffic and maybe ride the Dragon?