'93 Daytona 17" wheel conversion

Blueboarhound

I have a 17 on the front (GSXR) but not the rear.

From what I hear it is a straight swap to a newer 17" rim but the rear ride height drops down and you need to compensate to maintain proper handling.

I have seen bikes that had it done. Other then better rubber choice I am not sure what it gains. 

I think Art, the mechanic at Europa Macchina has done that to at least one Daytona.

My GSXR wheel is a three spoke wheel. Right now it is not even the same color. Once I paint them both the same color it will look fine. The newer GSXR front wheels don't match the thick three spoke design of the 17" Guzzi rear wheels in my opinion anyway. It is a dainty three spoke front wheel.

I would not want to give up the change in rear ride height, plus the reduced gear ratio, that would come with a 17" rim.

I can deal with the difference in look.

• 6 months later...

So I reached out to PVM and I received a response from DAS Mototec, here are the highlights.

"we´ve got your inquiry from PVM. We are the dealer for Moto Guzzi wheels.

We can deliver also wheels for the Daytona 1000 in the following designs: 5-Y, 10-Y, 7-Y-wheels and 6Sp-wheels.

For the Daytona 1000 you can use the "classic" ones, They are available in 18" for the rear and in 17 " for the front wheel. But they are heavier than the other wheels and the 18" rear wheels is only up to 4,25".

We suggest for the Daytona 17" wheels, because they are lighter and have a better handling than the 18".
But the 17" rear wheels is minimum 5,5 " width.

If you have any question don´t hesitate to ask.

Best regards

DÄS Mototec"

I also asked them what it takes to do the 17" conversion and received this response:

"all you need to convert to 17 inch wheels is in our kit included.

Best regards

DÄS Mototec"

There are several PVMs that are pretty bad a** but I am partial to the 6 spoke model.

http://www.pvm.de/en/wheels/

It is a matter of personal taste, at least to some extent....

But I can't seeing CHOOSING to put a 5.5" wide rear rim on a Guzzi. I know you will have a larger assortment of sticky tires to choose from and all that, but a 180 (which is the size typically made to fit a 5.5" rim) just seems like more tire than required for the job.

The other question is clearance, I thought with the 160 I have on there now there is not much room, I would doubt there was 10mm as would be expected required to go from a 160 to a 180(but I realize it is seldom that simple in terms of math). You may find that you either have to go with an undersized tire or perhaps some brand 180's will fit and others will not.

The aspect of clearance is just speculation, as I mentioned I still have the stock rear rim on mine, I actually like the 18" rear rim. I had an FZR 400 with the same set up. I thought it worked well.

That said, those rims are sweet. I would be very happy with either the 6 sp, the 5Y, or the 7Y, rims.

Did they say how much it would cost?

Oh, and another option would be fitting wheels from a later version Daytona or Sport.

Last time I looked Ghezzi Brian were supplying OZ wheels which were cheaper than PVM. Their website is not great but drop Bruno an email and he will give you info / prices.

I am lucky enough to have a set of Dymags on my Daytona but these are not available anymore.

I spoke to Brian a few months ago about his wheels. Here is his reply:

"Hi,

enclosed pls find my offer for a set of aluminium forged wheels for your Daytona:

-set of wheels 5,50x17 and 3,50x17 5 spokes

complete of:

-rear hub

-rear disc

-rear caliper holder

-spacers

-2 front discs

-color on your choice

-shipping cost included

For your info pls be informed we have special footpegs and exaust system to be fit on MotoGuzzi Daytona; enclosed pls find some pictures

Yours

Bruno"

One of the other issues I have is that the GSX-R front end means that I needed to find a wheel manufacturer that makes a rear wheel to do the conversion with a matching wheel available for the GSX-R front end.

Almost everybody makes wheels for GSXR's. The hard one is finding someone who makes wheels for Guzzi's. If they make wheels for Guzzi's they almost certainly will offer a wheel for a GSXR.

I don't need the wheels to match, I just need them to look like they go together. Close is good enough, especially once I paint them some sort of charcoal grey to hide the dirt.

What I want for the front (the GSXR front end) is a carbon wheel like from BST. A carbon front wheel dramatically improves handling.

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I looked Ghezzi Brian were supplying OZ wheels which were cheaper than PVM. Their website is not great but drop Bruno an email and he will give you info / prices.

I am lucky enough to have a set of Dymags on my Daytona but these are not available anymore.

Wrote Dymag regarding three spoke wheels for my Scura but hey never replied. Same happened when I wrote HPS in UK (http://www.bikehps.com), so I'm also heading the PVM way now. Pity, I would die for a pair of Dymags but if they treat potential customers like shite they don't deserve my/your money. DÂS/GB is the way ahead IMO. 

I've reached out to Marvic and Marchesini also, sent both of them multiple e-mails over several months during my search for wheels to do this project. Never heard back from either one of them.

DAS Mototec and Ghezzi-Brian by contrast have both been on top of returning e-mails and answering my questions.

At this point they seem to be the only two sources for the wheels I need for my project.

*Note to self, stop buying low production motorcycles from quirky manufacturers.....just kidding, I can't stop!

• Like 1