SS Allen head fastener kits for v11?

sp838

I was wondering if anyone knew of a prepackaged kit for the v11 to replace all the bolts on the bike with stainless steel allen heads. My bike has a lot of crusty old bolts on it, I'd like to replace them all. It seems like might mostly be M6x1 bolts of various lengths... If not a prepackaged kit, which would be supremely convenient, what would be the proper assortment to get? Is there a parts catalog that would detail all the different lengths, widths and thread pitches of fasteners used on the bike, and quantities of each?

Thanks!

Excellent, thank you! This looks like what I'm after. You rock.

Thanks helicopterjim, I'll bear that in mind, although I've never had any issues with ss fasteners breaking before. I've been very happy with them on my other bikes. I don't know where you live, but where I am, humidity and corrosion are a major issue. It's not just for the good looks. My bike wasn't very well cared for by the previous owner(s) and will most definitely benefit from having all the old fasteners, some of which are badly rusted or otherwise corroded, replaced and fresh un-rustable bolts installed.

Decent quality stainless fasteners are fine as long as you don't use them where graded bolts are required. For holding on valve covers or other various low torque, low stress applications they are fine in my experience. That is what the kits are, they do not replace the head bolts or anything like that. 

Quality stainless bolts are typically stronger then non-graded hardware store bolts but weaker then 8.8 bolts (and thus much weaker then 12.9 bolts).

That's what I'm replacing. All the bolts that hold various covers on, the sump plate under the bike, the acorn nuts on the exhaust, etc.

That's what I'm replacing. All the bolts that hold various covers on, the sump plate under the bike, the acorn nuts on the exhaust, etc.

Don't forget you'll have to use anti-seize on all those connections where the ss fastener will be threading into aluminum...

• 7 years later...
7 hours ago, docc said:

I was thinking the current wisdom is to go titanium, but unlikely there is a kit available for the V11...:huh2:

No I've never seen a TI kit for a V11, I've just ordered them individually. You'd be surprised it doesn't take long to figure out the lengths you need as the majority of cap screws on the V11 are M6 and M8 so its the length that's the major consideration. Most of my bike is now Ti fasteners and it's just evolved over the years to be that way. I still use steel on the rear shock and engine mounts.

I used to buy all mine from Toronto Cycles but there's plenty of decent quality Chinese stuff on ebay these days

Ciao  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Might drop RaceBoltUK a line. They make genuine UK Stainless, Ti and even some alloy bolts in a wide variety of styles, including safety wire drilled. They offer kits, but I don't know about the V11.

https://raceboltuk.com/

Isn't Ti on a Guzzi a bit like lipstick on a pig? 😂

Currently, I'm trying to source some M10 button heads to replace the rusting ones that hold the side plates to the frame. Thought about going fancy, but in the end I'll probably end up with some zinc-plated 10.9 steel. If I'm not mistaken, the originals were simply black oxide? So if I get something that looks just a little better than that, I'll be thrilled.

__Jason

3 hours ago, jtucker said:

Isn't Ti on a Guzzi a bit like lipstick on a pig? 😂

Currently, I'm trying to source some M10 button heads to replace the rusting ones that hold the side plates to the frame. Thought about going fancy, but in the end I'll probably end up with some zinc-plated 10.9 steel. If I'm not mistaken, the originals were simply black oxide? So if I get something that looks just a little better than that, I'll be thrilled.

__Jason

Lipstick on a Pig? no I don't think so. For me it's not about the weight saving but the suitability of the material for the job and the fact that they will still be looking exactly as new in 50 years unlike the std passive plated ones. SS is a poor fastener material and only really applicable to boats and structures where weathering ability is foremost. I've never seen an SS fastener used on an aircraft in 45 years or a racing motorcycle for that matter. I've seen manufacturers such as Ducati use them for cylinder stud at one time and they always broke to the point that I think there was a recall for them. Horrible stuff for a fastener that needs to stretch to maintain tension. Ok for nuts though. 

With using Ti stuff you spend the money and swap out fasteners and label the std stuff and where it was used and if you ever sell the bike then spent a few hours putting the std fasteners back on and re use the Ti stuff on the next bike.

I actually re blacked mine when I had the plates off for painting. I couldn't get the right head in M10 Ti bolts at the time so left them standard. 

Ciao 

• Like 3