Stucchi vs. Mistral crossover

Ritratto98

Oh... I think it will be the Mistral. I have always found their things to be of high quality and appearance. Then the removing of the cough at 2500 rpm is a much needed improvement. Thanks again for the help >>>>>>>> !

I heard Loffgren doesn't do Guzzi's anymore..  I'm very happy with the Mistral over stock.

Same here.First time in 7 years Ive heard ANYONE say anything bad about a Mistral.

Heresy, I know, but I was generally quite happy with the stock system for drivability (if a bit quiet)!

Then something came loose in the stock crossover - a piece of stainless mesh by the looks of it, can't hook it out though. And the drivability got a whole lot better, smoother, more liberated and fuel consumption went down to boot! What's not to like then? ...the phenomenal clatter from the box at idle! Guys at the club thought the clutch was coming apart.

So I got a Mistral and it's, well, OK. Sounds nicer and I've got used to it but better? Not so sure. A bit of tuning work may help tho'.

However, if I can just hook out that loose bit, I might well revert to stock.

Andy

Did I say anything bad over the Mistral part? Just follow the links, all the arguments and maybe possible reasons for whatever you want you could probably find there.
Personally I don't use any of them. I'm happy with my moded Ex-Box or, alternatively, from time to time, with the OEM crossover and a set of  MIVV 'Balotellis'. I'm not a friend of the hard bang those 'race' crossovers produce, regardless what bawlers you put behind them.

On a side note: the hickup around +-3000 usually points to a lean spot in the map. In case the Mistral can cure this it obviously reduces air flow enough to give a proper AFR in this region. To each his own I'd say.

Hubert

Edit: just came over this link, basically the same, a tad friendlier to you guys maybe 

• 7 months later...

I just bought a 2000 V11 Sport, and am will likely be purchasing some Mistrals and a crossover. I've done a fair amount of research on this forum regarding exhausts and crossovers. So, I'm looking for your thoughts - I generally ride my bikes for the "Zen" aspect of it all, more of a therapy then anything else. I don't normally ride to go fast or for a thrill, although often times the ride does turn out to be thrilling, which is perfectly fine with me! What is most enjoyable to me is just going through the gears and listening to the song of the engine. The deeper and more melodic, the better. I am not interested in blatty or raspy, just a deep, kind of percussive purr. It's a tough subject, as everyone's idea of this is probably a little different. I'm hoping to take whatever responses I get and be able to make a somewhat informed decision. With what I have read so far, and what I have listened to on youtube, etc, it seems that the oval or round canisters may give a deeper sound over the more visually appealing reverse cone design. With the varying quality of the videos, though, it is really hard to tell. It also seems the the Stucchi crossover gives a deeper tone than the Mistral.

I realize mufflers and crossovers have been discussed ad infinitum, but typically the discussion is more performance oriented. Dyno charts are not that important to me, although the health of the motor is paramount. 

Thoughts?

There is this thread: A Tale of Four Crossovers started by Greg Field. Not sure if it has what you're looking for.

-Docc, yes that was one of the threads I had read before adding my post. Definitely good info there,

I've never heard a bad sounding V11!

-Ha! I suppose you're probably right, there. I'm just new to the Guzzi world and you don't see one around too often, so honestly I wouldn't know!

I was just looking for opinions on what might suit my wants/needs as stated. The truth is I have precious little knowledge about or exposure to Guzzi's.

Would you say these reverse cone Mistrals have the db killers in or out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCrXxFa1XQo&feature=player_detailpage