Chin Pad

docc

Those of us with the early Sports 1999-2001 have a tank with the fuel pump external and a foam "chin pad" on the top of the tank. It's held on with a pair of steel ball inserts that capture into rubber oval grommets attached to the tank top.

After strapping down a tank bag for over ten years, the chin pad's inner structure deformed and it no longer captured well in the grommets. I've heard of them going missing and "re-contoured" (bent) the pad back to a better fit. While removing the filler cap ring to touch up its finish scratched from fuel nozzles, I discovered the front chin pad nut had detached from the pad leaving only the one fastener to keep it (from going missing).

I've attempted to recapture the nut with a contact adhesive and RTV silicone while the paints cure on my filler ring.

Just a "heads-up" on checking your chin pad connection to be sure yours doesn't go missing!

DSCN0456.JPG

DSCN0453.JPG

DSCN0454.JPG

DSCN0455.JPG

• Like 2

I had wondered how that chin pad was attached. Thanks docc.

I haven't had to go there yet, but as this bike as a keeper I probably will one day. When I do use a tank bag, I use a Baglux/Bagster tank cover which clips the tank bag on and probably protects the pad from the worst effects.

From what you're saying, I guess the pad pries off when you need to remove it and the ball ends just pop out of the grommets. Is that right?

Best to start prying at front or back of pad, would you say?

Andy

I start prying at the front, still without praying, though. But the KRs are coming into the years as we would say. This or that broken once you've touched it could happen now from time to time. THX for the info.

Hubert

• Like 1

• 8 years later...

My "Chin Pad" has become weathered, and greyed, mottled, and showing the years and usage of my Sport's miles (along with a lot of tank bag that I no longer use).

:notworthy:  @KINDOY2 helped me source a replacement that gave me the opportunity to try and rescue my original (right):

IMG_7437.jpg

• Like 1

The Chin Pad was really difficult to pull off (better than it flying off at speed!).:blink:

I treated the rubber capture grommets (as well as the rubber fuel filler surround) to the delight of ShinEtsu grease.

IMG_7438.jpg

I never noticed that rubber surround on the fuel neck before . . .

• Like 3

After cleaning the original Chin Pad with mild, warm, soapy water and drying . . . tested with a bit of ShinEtsu grease. I've tried "other"  products on the ChinPad and only made it worse. I would not have tried this without the replacement on hand . . . (original on left):

IMG_7441.jpg

Scary, I know. :unsure:

• Like 1

I realized the bum stop pad is the same material as the chin pad . . .

IMG_7443.jpg

Looks good, but also the rubber feels "nourished." :food:

• Like 1

I had always thought these molded pieces had some kind of surface treatment or coating. Now I am thinking they are one piece of molded closed-cell foam "rubber" with a textured surface.

I feel certain saying "rubber" is like saying "plastic" and there are are myriad formulae and vast variations.

Does anyone have an idea what the chin pad (and bum stop) are actually made of?   :huh2:

On 5/14/2022 at 10:36 AM, Tinknocker said:

I wonder how the "Back to black" treatment products would perform on the chin pad?

I've used that product (not on the Chin Pad) and not been impressed by how the materials look and feel once they "dry out." There is a thread where members posted their favorite "rejuvenation" products. I've just never experienced outcomes on "rubber" and polymer/"plastic" like this ShinEtsu grease.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
On 5/10/2022 at 8:34 PM, docc said:

I am encouraged!

IMG_7442.jpg

Original 2000 Chin Pad on left, after ShinEtsu. 2002 used part on right.

After a year, my Shin Etsu treated original chin pad still never dried out, whitened, or greyed. I retreated it today, but could not see any significant change even after a year.

This special grease has totally checked out for our early tank chin pads (and the seat cowl bum stop)!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2