Italian grammar question

motowarren

So (thanks, again, Hubert!), I've had a jolly time listening to the translations. Not just Italian (OMG - THAT is how you pronounce "Abarth??!), but also some Portugese ("Estoril" - the blau color of my ///M roadster).

I got pretty excited to listen to some of the places on the Isle of Man TT circuit since I'm pretty sure I haven't a clue how to pronounce "Creg-ny-Baa" or "Ballaugh Bridge."  But there is no "Manx" in the language selection.

Google Translate appears entirely stumped by Gælic.

Gælic, I guess that's beyond what any Non-Gælic can imagine ^^ Nice try, anyway. I've been searching for 'Platt' and other German dialects, also with no success, unfortunately. That'a real gap in the internet, isn't it?

Hubert

Edit: you can try Irish, alas also no speaker available :(

I remember learning to speak German in Bavaria. Then finding out some did not consider it, actually, "German."

The Italian dialect my wife's family speaks turns out not to be "proper "Florentine."

see ya'll, dang-it. :whistle:

Be sure to select "Swedish" to get the proper effect.  I think it should come with a video, but then we'll have to move the whole thread to the "Silly Banter" subforum with the proper disclaimers.

I'm really having a great time learning some proper lilt for terms like: LaFranconi, Marzocchi, Stucchi, Bitubo, Marchesini, Sachs-Boge, Veglia, Centauro, and in the process learned that both FIAMM and Stebel horns are Italian.

I found that ZF (Zahnradfabrik/Friedrichshafen) bought Sachs, but a year or so too late to have any influence on my (not-so-good) Sachs-Boge rear shock on the 2000 Sport.

Why does the Swedish woman sound half dressed and out of breath when she pronounces "öhlins?"

Don't know, but the pronounciation is just wrong anyway. I can't really write phonetic, but it should be pronounced

öli'ns

* ö is pronounced as the i in 'birth'

* the h is silent

* i is pronounced as ee in 'eel'

/Anders

The company originally was Corte&Cosso, so it could well be that the transfer of know-how was exactly in the opposite direction.

Hubert

Interesting.  My 1980 Maico 450 came with Corte Cosso remote reservoir shocks.  Unlike Ohlins these days, the CC shocks weren't thought to be very good.  Most racers swapped them for Fox Shox or something similar.

Could be so. I've heard similar stories, about 'exploding' CCs, but also about a totally weird Maico suspension layout which would have caused other marques to disintegrate as well.

BTW, what is Fox Shoxs? Is this the brand actually equipping mountain bikes :) ?

Hubert

Could be so. I've heard similar stories, about 'exploding' CCs, but also about a totally weird Maico suspension layout which would have caused other marques to disintegrate as well.

BTW, what is Fox Shoxs? Is this the brand actually equipping mountain bikes :) ?

Hubert

Yup.  Fox started out making motocross suspension components then jumped into the MTB industry much later.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Racing  They called their shocks FOX SHOX.  No relation to the MTB suspension company ROCK SHOX.  My little brother still has his MX FOX racing jersey from when he was racing in the late 70s.

Ohlins started out as an MX suspension business too.

www.ohlins.com/About-the-company/Our-HIstory/‎

My Maico was one of the last dual shock versions.  They went to a monoshock on the '82 490 I believe.  You are correct about the CC monoshocks breaking due to bad suspension geometry.  Here's the story as told by a former longtime editor of DIRT BIKE magazine.  http://articles.superhunky.com/4/74http://articles.superhunky.com/4/74

Sorry for the off topic stuff guys...

... Sorry for the off topic stuff guys...

In the German V11 Forum we recently had one asking whether it's normal to find oil under the valve covers. That not enough, he continued he were anxious this could cause problems during his oncoming holliday trip. So, from time to time, the only chance to keep a forum at life and interesting is to get very off topic even. Even interesting threads can get spiced up further :) No need to spell Ohlins or C/C correctly if you don't know what it is.

Hubert

"Bad suspension geometry" on the Maico... set me to wondering if something similar could be the cause of the failed eye on V11 Sachs Boge shocks? Although it doesn't happen to Öhlins ;) or WP shocks as far as I know.