Noisy clutch!

Jez2561

Can anyone help with this?

I have a 2003 model v11 Le Mans which was first registered in 2006. It has covered 10000 miles from new and runs really well but being new to the bike I am a little worried about a noise that appears when I pull in the clutch at standstill with the engine running. It sounds like a worn thrust bearing, not quite a rumble but more of a metallic roughness. Once the bike has had a run and warmed up it is not so noticeable and of no concern when moving. The clutch feels fine in operation with no stiffness or slippage. It may be that this is all perfectly normal but being new to Guzzi,s I would appreciate some reassurance!

I absolutely love the bike and other than rebuilding the rear master cylinder which was seized have had no problems.

Thank you for any suggestions, Jez

'They all sound like that Sir' (twin plate dry clutch) , ride it and enjoy it. If in doubt stop next to a Ducati, if you can hear the clutch over the top of their ones go for a second opinion.

I absolutely love the bike and other than rebuilding the rear master cylinder which was seized have had no problems.

Uh-oh you just shot the clown.

Sounds like normal clutch noise.Could you post a video?

'If in doubt stop next to a Ducati, if you can hear the clutch over the top of their ones go for a second opinion.

Excellent (and true). :lol:

I just bought a 1100 sport and the seller was very reticent to pull in the clutch, makes a bit of a noise he said, I said if it doesn't there's something very wrong.

My Sport, at 86,000 miles, continue to make the usual racket, but lately it seems to rattle MUCH more just sitting at idle. I usually have earplugs in, but resetting the idle the other day, the noise got even my attention.

What would change in the clutch over the use that would make it rattle more?

Sure it's not something loose in the X-over like I had?

People were sagely pronouncing that it was a possible clutch problem (and I did too, to be honest) until I held my boot against the X-over box and the rattle stopped. Just a thought...

... What would change in the clutch over the use that would make it rattle more?

Ageing I'd say, especially the play between the discs and the pinion they're running on greatly increases over time. That's why you can calm down the rattle with short clutch 'airings' - leading to one disc leaning to the left and one to the right shoulder of the cogs.

I recently had the exquisite pleasure to listen to a 2000 KR with under 6000km on the clock. Besides a faint valve clicker and the chain wining a little bit this engine runs astonishing noiseless - when new.

Hubert

What would change in the clutch over the use that would make it rattle more

This is how I have thought about it: When the clutch lever is not touched, the parts "pressed together" between the first pressure plate and the starter wheel build up a ca.1,85 kg one single "bundle", which can move back and forth within the teething (flywheel/pressure plates). The "wear out" of the teething gets larger, the bundle can move more and more according the storkes of the pistons. More noise.  Personally I like the "Guzzi noise" when the lever is pressed but I do not like the noise during the idle when the lever is not touched too much...  I guess lighter clutch plates could be the only theorethical help. My new double plate clutch has been in use ca. 15.000 km and it has been always possible to calm down the noise with short clutch 'airings'. Could it be so that the friction plates can place themselves to a bit different positions (within the play of the pinion gear) during the airings and the sound correlates to the "unbalance" (how well the friction plates happen to be centered when the lever is released)?