Combination speedo and tach to replace stock gauges?

sp838

I'd like to get rid of the stock speedo and tach. My tach is busted anyway, and a new one costs $300+ for a unit that from I read here and have heard elsewhere is a piece of crap that will likely break again anyway.

Does anyone have any experience with replacing theirs? I am not really interested in GPS based speedos or bicycle style magnetic pickups. Ideally I'd like to have a speedo that runs off the stock cable. The tach seems to run off the ignition and that seems to be a little easier to work with. I'd also prefer to have an analog dial for the tach, and a digital readout for speed. I know I know, very specific, very picky... I'd be curious to know what my options are.

I really like this one:

http://motogadget.com/en/analog-gauges/analog-tacho-classic/motoscope-classic.html

Except the speed is measured with a bicycle style pickup placed on the wheel. Otherwise it's what I'm looking for, in terms of design.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Speedhut is what I used, they allow you to configure the gauge to your fancy, needles, colours, font, graphic etc.

They set the odo to match my failed Veglia

I built my own sensor that fits in the gearbox.

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s526/Kiwi_Roy/Guzzi%20Dash/CIMG5019_zpsf8294390.jpg

They have combination gauges as well 

The works are stepper motor, microprocessor or GPS based

I had to replace my whole instrument panel 2 years ago and went with a Koso unit.

Decent looking, easy to set up, works very well (except maybe for the fuel gauge).

Not too expensive and so far... very weather proof.

Fits your requirements except for the speedo cable thing... dunno if you'll be able to find a good thing for that.

There's a long thread on here somewhere with info on that.

Acewell makes combination units that have an analog tach and a digital speedo. They also offer an adapter that connects to the stock speedo drive on the transmission and sends a signal to the speedo. I have one on my Daytona.

I will say that I went with one from the UK supplier as the support in the USA was not there. I did try to buy on from a outfit in the USA who said they had the one I wanted in stock but it turned out they were lying and while I finally got my money back from them it was not a good situation. The UK supplier seemed like a stand up guy who did his best to accommodate me.

I would also add that I found the SpeedHut units after I bought the Acewell unit and if I had found them earlier I would have went with one from SpeedHut. The Acewell unit is okay but it is typical Made in China fare. It mostly works as intended but is not as nice as I would like.

Well, after consulting with various wiser, more talented and experienced people, I've been convinced that the gps based speedo units are the way to go. I think having an accurate tach is more important anyway, and it makes things much easier with regard to wiring. the SpeedHut combo units are starting to look pretty good. they don't have many idiot lights built in though, and I'd really like to retain my low fuel, battery, oil and neutral lights. what does one do about that? without getting too deep down the rabbit hole, I was thinking those lights could be moved to a drilled out piece of aluminum sheet metal, then mounted back to the top clamp somehow. am I out of my mind, or is it actually not a completely unreasonable idea?

I want to get a combo tach/speedo and get rid of the whole stock cluster, just have one gauge. I like making things simple, therefore way too complicated. :-/

Heh. Happens to the best of us. So, does anyone have any experience with relocating the idiot lights? I was looking at the parts catalog, and they appear to just be a cluster of lights on the ends of some wires. Presumably it shouldn't be too hard to drill out a piece of metal to the right diameter to hold them in place, and then mount that piece of metal somewhere on the top clamp. I was at the NYCVMS this weekend, and saw a bike built by Jane Motorcycles that had really nice little switches built into the top clamp, with the wires running through a little hole underneath they had drilled through. Very clean, very simple.

The SpeedHut option offers turn signal and high beam lights. So you should only need an oil light and a charge light (or better yet a volt meter). You could easily make a plate with those two. The oil lght is easy, the light gets pwoer and the ground for the light goes through the oil switch as I recall. The charge light should be equally easy but slightly different depending on the output for your R/R, or just install a meter.

Well, there's the neutral light, too.

There was a member here who added an excellent LED voltage meter ranging from red to yellow to green. I thought I saved the link, but can't find it. No luck in the search options . . .

Best volt meter ever for a V11!

But where is it?

You trust the neutral light????

Yeah, I missed that. But it is also easy to wire in as it just has 12 volts to it and the ground is thru the switch.

You trust the neutral light????

My wife, my Guzzi, and my sidearm are all Italian. I find them all challenging to both trust and control. :whistle:

But I never give up trying. B)

And, durn, if they don't all seem to be getting some miles on them . . . ;)