Steering damper screw.

rex007can

The screw/hoop that attaches the damper to the tripple tree broke yesterday.

Luckily there was just enough left sticking out that I was able to unscrew it with pliers.

So anyone know ehere I could mabe get a replacement? regular screw with a hoop at the end that attaches to the middle of the damper.

While I'm at it, does any supplier maybe have a rebuild kit for those? Mine is starting to get a little "crunchy", maybe I should give it some TLC before putting it back on.

Thanks.

By the "screw/hoop" I'm thinking you refer to the Heim joint. It should be available in its metric dimensions.

And you mean rebuilding the steering damper itself? Not sure the year of your Sport, but most have Bitubo dampers which are leak prone. I replaced mine with a Japanese built Shindy that has worked very well for less money than the Bitubo replacement.  Not sure about a rebuild.

It's a 2001 V11 sport.

Not exactly the heim joint, there's no swivel in it that I could see.

I did see that I could easily get a generic and relatively inexpensive replacement online.

I'll probably go that way instead of trying to fix it.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

It is the Heim Joint: 8mm, right hand thread, male

Measurements: 55mm overall length, 8mm opening, with 25mm length of threaded  8mm x 1.25 shaft

Amazon - 4 for $25

Ebay LH/RH set $14.99

When I took delivery of my replacement Shindy, it came with a new Heim joints. So, if your Bitubo is "crunchy" your replacement will likely have new joints.

Interesting story from Wikipedia about the 'spherical rod end bearing' being developed in WWII ... I know of some pre-war aircraft that use joints that we would refer to as tie-rod ends with a spherical connection nestled in a socket. The spherical bearing allows the stress to be more in line with the action of the rod. One pre-war helicopter I looked at had tie-rod bearings for the pitch links controlling the angle of the rotor blades. I cringed thinking of the feedback forces on that system ....!!

In aviation heim joints or rose joints are usually called spherical bearings.