factory MG paint/powder coating?

sp838

So, I'm getting all my ducks in a row to swap the front end off my '01 v11 sport. The gsxr front wheel I'll be using is black. I'd like it to be the same silver as my current stock wheels are. How do I go about getting the correct color to match? Can it be ordered by any paint shop I bring it to, or should I special order it for them? I'm assuming the wheels are powder coated, is this correct? I'd also like to get the same red used on the frame. I have places where the red has flaked off, where there are areas of rust, staining, and wear. I'd like to be able to brush it on in spots...

Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm thinking the wheels are painted and clear coated. You could take your rear to an auto paint supplier and they can scan it for a match.

Is you're just doing touch-up on the red, Testor's Italian Red model paint is a good match, but, apparently, has no hardeners like automotive paint. Halford's Toolbox Red from UK is reportedly quite a good match, but I'm not sure Craftsman Toolbox Red is quite "orange" enough.

what color is the silver gray color on the Sport engine and wheels? 

the timing cover 0n the Sport got buggered up pretty good on the ride home from the Spine Frame Raid, it would be nice to respray it (or polish it like the EV).

I've used Eastwood AlumiBlast and DiamondClear satin clear coat for the alternator cover and various touch ups. It's a tiny bit darker than the factory silver and lacks the very fine metal flake appearance, but certainly works well on the front cover.

Thanks for the tips. I'll just bring them the wheel then ride my bike over there, hopefully shouldn't be too tough for them to match the silver... Would be nice to be able to get the official red.

• 4 weeks later...

So, brought the wheel and bike by the body shop today. He tried to look up the codes, for which he had about six different silver / grey returns. He says he'll mix up samples for each and we will match that way. I didn't have time to hang around, so I will keep trying to find the actual code. Of course, there is no listing under the seat pan or in the seat well. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a sticker under the seat listing the paint codes? Or does Guzzi just not deem this necessary?  :huh2:

The RS Bike Paint site doesn't seem to be of much help for the silver, but they do have a couple reds which they call Rosso Mandello and Candy Apple. Also not very helpful.

Just found this: http://www.cyclecolor.com/id27.htm 

and this: http://www.thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/print/moto_guzzi_loopframe_body_paint_codes.htm

I wonder how close that v700 silver is to ours.... Gonna keep searching...

Screw it. Bringing my side cover in to the body shop tomorrow and having them color match it. If anyone is interested I will ask for the formula and/or off the shelf color code that best matches and post it back here.

My paint guy says he has a match. I will be seeing him tomorrow, at which point I'll get the brand, color name and formula from him. I'll work on getting the red next, he has a whole long list of MG color codes.