Gremlins II

czakky

Doesn't the main ground go in the other direction, where the battery sits? Also it looks, as if this cable splits up into two shortly before it goes under the spine.

Anyway, if it is so, the previous owner probably was Pandorra. So far I've only seen rotten ex T3 - ex Café - ex Cali - now 'It's a real Guzzi, no electronics' rape victims in this state :grin:

Hubert

But also, czakky, once your voltages are good, you may need to go back over the harness under the tank and under the airbox simply looking for something not plugged in. Very carefully inspect all the wires that got hot in the meltdown to be sure they are not shorted to ground or broken/ burnt open.

Don't give up! I've got too much beer riding on this (even if I do have to split with K_R and gs. And Hubert, of course . . . :bier: )

I was pretty cautious about reconnecting everything.... But hopefully back in the right harness....

I might have to dip into retirement to make this right with all the help I'm getting.....

magic smoke machine... haha

Doesn't the main ground go in the other direction, where the battery sits? Also it looks, as if this cable splits up into two shortly before it goes under the spine.

Anyway, if it is so, the previous owner probably was Pandorra. So far I've only seen rotten ex T3 - ex Café - ex Cali - now 'It's a real Guzzi, no electronics' rape victims in this state :grin:

Hubert

Originally it was one it was just the insulation was melted. 

Brand new battery, ditched the timing sensor o-ring... no change.  Trying to see what I might've forgot under that tank. No fuel pressure reg. or anything?? I'm pretty confident my harness was good, but I'm a have to take a looksee....

trying to remain patient..

Czakky, can we go over the symptoms again, there'd so much happened I have lost the plot.

When you turn the key on, does the pump prime?

Anything unusual?

pump primes, starts (after some effort) and if I give it any revs it will either take off (rev up) or die.  I'm going to try and take off my tank but I really can't see anything I had unplugged in the wiring diagram.

It seemed like everything in the harness that was attacked by my bad wire was not that bad and looks like most of the wires were lighting or other things that shouldnt effect running.

I unplugged my ECU but semms impossible to screw that up...... then again......

Think I found my problem. This is a good one. While I was hooking back up my "mystery" wire which is probably the wire that went to the reg. I had most everything off the bike including ECU. Apparently laying there with the pins exposed I had let some wire cuttings fall into the open ECU pins. Plugged it back up everything buttoned up and bike was barely running. I thought I might have bumped the TPS, so I reset it but was still barely running.  Switched to a different TPS (po gave me four) discovered my wire clippings. Only because Kiwi_Roy's advice to check resistance on various points of the ECU. Then I discover that the TPS readings were off through the ECU (everything else ok). Switched TPS reset and I'm good to go!!

But... now I'm not charging 12.5v at idle 12.8 and climbing at 3k RPM.  Regulator??

Also I might have a dying clutch, seems to be slippin a little makes an awful clack when I open the throttle hard. Oh well. get to it when I can. Like my leaking timing cover and my gearbox leak.......

It's never boring with these bikes. Of course I don't seem to help matters

You might be lucky this time and it's just the flat battery. 12.5 is not too bad, 12.8 and climbing is even better. No charge would mean 12.2 or so and falling. Had the same with mine once. Had the battery out for some other purposes and when I put it back, rather flat then, it just sucked away nearly all the work the alternator was able to deliver. It's a typical thing for this type of battery.

Thanks for the feedback, btw. ;)

Another question comes to my mind: why does someone have 4 TPSes laying around? Do you know what Guzzi wants for one of them?

Hubert

unfortunately Hubert that is a brand new battery with those numbers.,,,

Why do I have 4 TPSs? because the previous owner gave them all to me with the bike. Not sure what he was doing.... but if you need one let me know I'm down to three now.

While we are talking TPS, they are not a simple resistor as the drawings show.

I suspect there is another fixed resistor in parallel. 

Perhaps someone with a dud could pull it apart.

unfortunately Hubert that is a brand new battery with those numbers.,,,

Why do I have 4 TPSs? because the previous owner gave them all to me with the bike. Not sure what he was doing.... but if you need one let me know I'm down to three now.

The numbers are ok. And also a brand new battery doesn't make much more but maybe 10 (longer) start attempts. They are small ones.

Above I was asking about the P/0. How come the P/O collected 4 of these high priced parts? What is the actual price for one, 350 USD? If you want to share them you should know the price, at least :)

Hubert

Hubert

While we are talking TPS, they are not a simple resistor as the drawings show.

I suspect there is another fixed resistor in parallel. 

Perhaps someone with a dud could pull it apart.

Every T.P.S. I have been involved with is a potentiometer . I am not aware of a resistor being in parallel with or inside the  sensor ?