PCIII for V11 Sport 2000 substituted?

AndyH

My wife very kindly got me a PCIII USB for my birthday off the 'bay. She's very good to me... :)

The vendor sent a 703-411 for a Ducati Monster M900 - even says "PCIII USB 00-01 DUC M900" on the box. We've taken the supplier to task on this but he says it is the correct one for the Marelli ECU.  Comes with nearly 3 feet of cable too - I once had a Monster and it's not that big!

I called DynoJet UK and they confirmed the correct model of PCIII for the MG V11 Sport is a 706-411.

I seem to recall seeing a post here about the M900 PCIII being an acceptable substitute as the connectors are the same and it will need to be remapped on a dyno anyway but, search as I may, I can't find the precise posts on the forum that say this.

I'm not too fussed about it being exactly the right one as long as it works on the V11. Can anyone enlighten me here?

Andy

... She's very good to me... :)...

Time will tell ;) Those units are cheaters and so not without their special pitfalls. Having failed sadly on the Ducati alternator topic I'd nonetheless risk another bet :grin: , this time that this particular Ducati part should work perfectly in your Guzzi. Once you've got it stuffed away nicely under the seat, of course, with all the extra harness and such. Remember to keep the nice golden letters shine up as soon as you lift the seat ...

Hubert

I also have a Duc PC III on my Scura and it has done the trick so far. Had the bike mapped and dynoed, so no false flats around 3K RPM anymore.

Cheers

Søren 

It'll work fine. Have the same one on my V11. Just install a suitable map for your V11 or get it on a dyno for a custom map.

Thanks for your responses guys.

Are your bikes pre lambda, IAW15M like mine or the later IAW15RC? Or does this PCIIIUSB in fact work with both types?

Andy

15m on mine (2002 model year). I'd have thought it would work with either Andy. I also have a pc3 on my TDM and dynojet say disconnect the lambda sensor. The ecu on the TDM doesn't register any faults with it unplugged and nothing else done, so it can't be that bright  I know that on some bikes a unit has to be fitted to fool the ecu into thinking the lambda is still connected. Hondas and Triumphs spring to mind for some reason.

You're welcome. I think the difference between the pc3 for V11 and M900 must be down to cable length. I have the Duc unit on mine and have loads of spare cable.

From what I've read there are two types of power commander-one for Harleys and one for everything else. On the everything else unit, the firmware is the same for all bikes (upgradeable from dynojet) and it's mainly the plugs and sockets that are different.

• Like 1

Cheers, looks like we're good to go. Will book into the DynoJet shop ASAP

Thanks all

Just make sure they have the bike fully warmed up when they put it on the Dynojet tuner, otherwise the map will be next to useless. They did that to my bike, and I had to take it back for a 2nd try. 

Ken

I have a 20 mile ride to the nearest DynoJet shop so should warm up pretty well if I have an appointment. However, I was planning on getting them to fit it (avoids the 'you did it wrong' conversation so beloved of UK bike shops - they want their fitting fee after all) which would allow the bike to cool.

But you're right, it's a big lump of an engine and takes time to warm up - I usually feel 15 minutes running before it starts singing in tune and a hundred miles to get operatic.

Andy

The warmup map is on from startup until about 90C (somewhere in that range). Even if you only shut the bike off for 5 min, it will go into warmup mode again (at least that's what my dealer told me).

The first PCIII map that was for me was during the warmup map. The person that made the first map for me was unaware of the startup map, and my V11S ran like garbage once it was fully warmed up. I'd hate to see the same thing happen to you.

Ken

You have GuzziDiag I think, don't you? With GuzziDiag you can adjust the warmup line so that you have one constant value for everything above 50°C head/oil temperature. That's basically a good idea for every early KR map, PCIII aided or not.

Hubert

I was trying to make that point with the guy at the dynojet centre where I'm planning to take the bike. He seemed pretty clued up on V twins in general (compared the other place that said 'We don't do Guzzi's') but I'm not so sure how much he took on board the need to make sure it's well warmed up.

I'll make sure I labour the point when I take the bike in there, so thanks for the heads up Ken.

You have GuzziDiag I think, don't you? With GuzziDiag you can adjust the warmup line so that you have one constant value for everything above 50°C head/oil temperature. That's basically a good idea for every early KR map, PCIII aided or not.

Hubert

Yes, I do Hubert and I was thinking along those lines. Will take a bit of figuring out but I'm sure I'll get there.

I need to use GuzziDiag to work on the warm up map anyway (which PC III won't help with), because since I put on the Mistral X-over it really runs rough when cold: really rough for the first 5 mins. Choke makes little or no difference although I think that's little more than a fast idle control anyway:the ECU map does the riching up doesn't it? Correct me if i'm wrong.

What I can't work out is whether it's too rich or too weak in the early warm up phase. A plug chop just isn't going to do it.